Why swan permits only available as party hunt

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Why swan permits only available as party hunt

Postby bigsprig » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am

Tried to apply for swan permit for my son and friend (I have shot my fill), but shows up as a "party hunt".

Wrote DNR and asked why, this is response:

Thank you for your recent inquiry to North Carolina Wildlife in regards to applying for the Tundra Swan Permit. The Tundra Swan permit can be applied as an Individual or has a Party hunt. Based on your e-mail below, it appears that you are trying to add yourself to a party which is going to require you to enter a Party Number. If you are applying as an individual, you will need to choose “Start a New Hunt” party and then you will be assigned a party number.

Anybody from NCDNR care to comment. Has it always been this way? Shot my swans years ago at Mattmuskeet and do not remember how got permit.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Re: Why swan permits only available as party hunt

Postby KAhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 am

The party can just be you. Its just a registration number. Its nothing to worry about.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 am

as KA stated...it can be a party of 1. Just click "Start a new party" or whatever as they suggested.

You mentioned you were trying to apply for your son and a friend. IN that case, my suggestion is to start a new party with your son, and then join that party with your friend's request (now a party of 2). that way, they both get permits if drawn. if you were to apply seperately for each, they run the chance of 1 getting drawn and the other not.

keep in mind, unlike some of the other "party" hunts, your son and friend dont necessarily have to hunt together for the swan. they'll each have their own permit, and nothing on the actual permit signifys a party or not

if my memory serves you could always apply solo or via a party...
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 am

Good info, glad they do not have to hunt together, that was what concerned me. Appreciate the responses.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Have you already applied and received a Party ID number? If so, get your son and friend to apply to your party. Just give them your Party ID number. Do not apply on theirs if you have already applied for a permit.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting