Opinions wanted

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Opinions wanted

Postby ducku » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 am

I am getting ready to purchase a new shotgun and I have narrowed it down to the Remington Versa Max and the Beretta A391 Xtrema 2. I have owned the Benelli SBE II so that is not a choice. I would like opinions on these two guns from people that may have used both. I am 60 and want something that is not to rough on my old body and is jam proof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ducku
hunter

Re: Opinions wanted

Postby mwp1023 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:40 am

Beretta.

My main hunting buddy bought a versamax last year and it has been jam city ever since. Not sure why but it hates remington and kent loads. Two to three jams in a morning. It will kind of cycle the cheap winchester loads without too much issue.

It doesn't like dove loads at all and will constantly not cycle the next shell. He hasn't sold it yet, but he is now using his 20 year old 870.

I would also recommend a maxus or the new A5. I bought a maxus last year and love it. Zero jams and eats light dove loads for breakfast.
mwp1023
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:29 pm

I have a versamax and hunted all year with it 2 years ago. Shot a lot of clays with it also. It has never jammed. I have a friend that has an Xtrema 2. He rides it around in a pickup on a farm all the time. It's lucky if the gun gets cleaned once a year. He shoots hundreds and hundreds of rounds yearly. And always the cheapest crap he can find. He tell me it has never failed him. I can say on the many days we have hunted together I have never seen it jam. His has the kick off system.

I will say the Remington gas system sure is simple. Both are good guns and kick very little for a 12ga. but as mwp1023 pointed out you can get a lemon with anything. I'd buy the one that fit me the best.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby yankeehunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Well, you must have read my mind and beat me to the punch. I to am in the market for a new duck pounder and am considering the Remy Versamax and the Brownig New A5 or Maxus. I already own a Beretta AL390 that I have hunted with for years but have had to go to after market chokes to get any decent patterns from her. I am a true Browning fan owning yesteryears A5 in: Belgium 12 ga. magnum, Belgium 12 ga. superlight and a Belgium sweet 16. All of these SGs shoot really good patterns. I have owned Remy shotguns: 1100s, 1187s and currently an 870. My 1100s shot decent patterns, along with the 870 but the 2 -1187s where horrible. In fact, the Beretta replaced the 1187s.. It seems like it's hit or miss with the Remys as far as patterns and I am wondering if it is the same way with the Versamax.. I had heard that Remington had problems with the Versamax jamming early on but they had supposedly fixed that problem. I do like the fact that Remington has used stainless springs, reciol tube and stainless lined barrel for longevity which seems to be a problem with the Italian guns after years of use in fowl weather. I do know someone that replaced his Benelli SBE with the Browning Maxus and loves it. But, I do know of another individual that also has a Maxus and after 2 years had a internal piece break and had to send it back to Browning. Does anyone here own the New A5 and what is your opinion.?. Also are there any Versamax owners here that can tell me about the gun's patterns? Thanks! YH
yankeehunter
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm a browning guy day in and day out. But my hunting partner has an extrema 2 and its a good shooting gun. I will tell you this though, make damn sure you get one with the kickoff. Because without it that gun will rock your shoulder as if it were a pump gun. As far as the versamax. There's no way in hell I'd pay that much money for a Remington when I could buy any other high quality waterfowl gun for around the same price. Don't get me wrong Remington is supposed to be old reliable ( not what I've heard about the versamax however) they just aren't $1000 plus gun in my opinion. I would also consider the new A5. They are awesome I'm just not a fan of the humpback although a ton of people are. If I were buying a new one today I would have to spring for the beretta hands down. That's just my opinion, and everybody knows about opinions. Hope this helps with your decision.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm

That "Xtrema" is a mighty reliable shotgun.

Friend of mine shot 3500 rounds through it hunting doves down south in Argentina a few summers ago, and never had a problem with that shotgun. I only shot two boxes of shells with my Russian SxS 12 ga and had a most enjoyable hunt.

I prefer shooting a SxS myself, but I'm just too much of a Old School wildfowler and occasional dove shooter.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Beretta hands down. It's not even a comparison.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Doubleplay wrote:Beretta hands down. It's not even a comparison.

What he said... I love my beretta

Sent while hiding from the boss
0321Tony
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 am

yankeehunter wrote: Also are there any Versamax owners here that can tell me about the gun's patterns? Thanks! YH

I have patterned mine quite a bit. The main reason was to dial in the point of aim by using the shim kits that come with the gun. I will say that it's really worth the time. It does shoot where I look after the adjustments. The over decoy factory choke has given the most consistent patterns. I feel comfortable with shots out to 40 yards with 3" Kents # 4, or # 1 for geese and windy days. I have not tried any aftermarket chokes, but have been happy with the factory chokes. They pattern consistent and even, and that is what is most important to me.

The only reason I don't shoot the gun more is the length of pull is rather long for me especially with a lot of clothing. I have an old Browning with a cut stock that I keep going back to.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Versa max for me. Mine killed a bunch of ducks and geese last yr without a single jam.
labman63
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Beretta. I beat the he!! out of mine and she keeps on rocking. I am in the market to buy another with the kick off system as the steel plate in my neck can no longer handle the large waterfowl loads. The only problem with mine is the choke unscrews itself all the time.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby ducku » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I have ordered the Remington Water Fowl edition from an online site new in box for less than $1000. I could not pass on that deal.
ducku
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting