Impoundment

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Impoundment

Postby NCfowl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:48 am

I am fixing to purchase a few impoundments in Hyde Co. I was wanting to know what the best planting options are. I know corn is a big deal around there and its all based on weather pretty much, but any thought? I have the ability to drain and pump.
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Impoundment

Postby duk-cmdr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:25 pm

if it were me, corn to start with

location, pressure, weather (as you mentioned), and water level are all gonna be factors as well
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby killinhiflyers » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Do you have any openings for new members. Corn is always good, but soybeans have also done well before.
killinhiflyers
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:16 pm

No members, just family land.. I have heard soybeans do quite well. What depth are they normally flooded at?
NCfowl
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 am

Most all of the impoundments I've hunted in over the past 25 or so years averaged water around knee deep. Just make sure you mark the ditches and crossovers well to avoid dunkings.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 am

depending on your budget in the spring, i would consider dwarf corn, buckwheat and japanese millet. if you would plant sunflowers late to bloom in mid to late august -september, it is very beneficial as well. those are gifts that keep on giving.
congrats on the amazing opportunity!
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 am

anything over knee deep and you wont be able to keep the mergansers off it
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 am

I know about shallowness of corn but we also going to have a small impoundment around 4-5 I was thinking about soybeans. 6 inches from the head or just 18 inches total. Also, what if we do not plan on harvesting any corn do you suggest planting something around the land zones? map millet, rice, something around that nature? Thanks all
NCfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:20 am

Stick with regular round up ready corn. Dwarf corn is crap. It has terrible yields and isnt roundup ready. And dont mess with other foods if you are looking for the best hunting possible. Corn is king. Weedy corn is even better. if you must use jap millet or something similar, i would come back into your corn in early august and broadcast jap millet between the rows. The water doesnt need to be right to the ears. In fact, i would rather it wasnt. The ducks can get to the food and it also keeps your spot from being eaten out. We are flooding this week and hold ducks till march. Neither of my spots with flooded corn have any ears within 1.5 feet of the water level and we do just fine. Good luck.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 am

KAhunter wrote:Stick with regular round up ready corn. Dwarf corn is crap. It has terrible yields and isnt roundup ready. And dont mess with other foods if you are looking for the best hunting possible. Corn is king. Weedy corn is even better. if you must use jap millet or something similar, i would come back into your corn in early august and broadcast jap millet between the rows. The water doesnt need to be right to the ears. In fact, i would rather it wasnt. The ducks can get to the food and it also keeps your spot from being eaten out. We are flooding this week and hold ducks till march. Neither of my spots with flooded corn have any ears within 1.5 feet of the water level and we do just fine. Good luck.

Thanks! How do you feel about "grassy corn"? Heard a lot about it, thinking that I like it.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Plant corn on 38" rows spray it till it is about shoulder high then spread some jap millet in it or let nature take over.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Thats what i was saying - weedy corn or grassy corn. Like bigpuddin said, pray it about 18 inches high to let it jump and get up, and then dont spray it again. Usually it will fill in naturally with weeds or you can broadcast jap millet in early august. I have had best results with our field with jap millet as we flood early and the jap millet will continue to grow and mature even with water on it.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:38 am

Im a little different! Every year we plant corn and milo in our impoundment. In the last several years we have decided to go with less food and more open water. Since doing so we have been shooting more and more big ducks.

Our impoundment is about 15 acres and we would plant it from dike to dike in corn and milo. The last 3 years we have planted every other cut, and then picked half of the corn out of each cut. We do not plant the other cuts as we keep them sprayed down all year. I think the big ducks are looking for that sheet water. Obviously you can shoot teal and wood ducks in any impoundment but I think the big ducks like the sheet water. We also have food left in the impoundment when we drain it each year! Just my 2 cents.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

We are planning on planting on our own and not picking any. You think it would be better to not plant in say 1 acre square where water could be open or 1.5 acre or ballpark around that and plant jap millet or a moist soil in the open water where the heads are barely above surface level? Thanks guys
NCfowl
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:37 pm

An acre is a little much for a shooting hole. I would leave maybe a 60 yd diameter hole in front of your blinds with the corn growing in/around the blind. If you can locate the blind in a stand of willows or thicker brush, it will be that much better. You could not plant corn in the shooting hole and allow it to grow up in natural grasses and weeds and have the option to mow it if it's too high, or plant the entire piece and just pick strips in front of the blinds. Both methods work fine. Just remember, whatever you plant, you cannot legally mow.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby ducku » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 pm

I have also been doing some research on impoundments and I have seen where a lot of guys are going to natural grasses for forage. Here are a couple of links discussing the use of barnyard grass and smart weed:

Barnyard grass http://deltafarmpress.com/new-barnyardg ... owl-forage

Smart Weed: http://www.lorenzsokseedsllc.com/planti ... for-ducks/
ducku
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 am

Natural grasses are ok hunting wise and are better for the ducks nutritionally. If you want an impoundment that is not quite as good hunting but with good habitat, then go moist soil/natural. If you want a spot to kill more ducks and still have decnt habitat stick with corn. Weedy corn is the best of both worlds as they love corn as well as it it provides natural seeds as well as detritus for invertebrates, which are important in the late winter/ early spring. Just remember these ducks can go to the refuges and many many other places and find the natural foods. You want something they want, which in my experience is corn. We tried smartweed, jap millet, buckwheat etc and when we have all corn, it does better. I have a small place in va that is 1 acre corn and 1.5 acre natural (can only plant one acre so thats all we do or else it would be all corn). Once the corn is eaten out, most birds leave, no matter how much natural is in there. You can still kill a few but its not as good as the corn. just my .02
As to how to plant the corn, we plant it all and pick some to open it up. Creates open water and allows some waste grain to be utilized. We usually dont pick any more than 1/4 of our field.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:44 am

I forgot ot mention this Moist soil/natural/jap millet (small grains) etc work on a lrger scale. If you have some size say 20 acres plus (estimating) you can have succes with those. Smaller impoundments should look at corn as this has the best drawing power for a smaller area. Also soybeans are ok but they degrade VERY quickly in water and if they are flooded you can loose most or all of your food value quickly.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 am

I don't think we are going to do soybeans. I read a study that said after 90 days flooded soybeans have 83 percent deteriorated. The 10 acre I am thinking grassy corn, and we are not picking any so just not plant in some areas.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby ducku » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:12 am

KAhunter, that is great info. For the last two years I have hunted with a friend who has a 10 acre impoundment and 80 acre in Hyde county all planted in corn. You could not count the number of ducks in them prior to sunrise. As soon as the sun came up they all got up and left. With that said we came to the conclusion that no matter what you have planted if the weather ain't right then you can wave goodbye to them until 15 minutes after sunset.
ducku
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Ducks like bugs at time more than corn. Flooded impoundments with openings, moist soil, etc grow the best bugs. Corn is great, but you can do well with some food and some "sheet water" as mentioned above. Not glamerous to think about our wonderful ducks eating bugz, but that is a fact. Also note if you have millet and your water is too deep there is a chance the swans will get into your impoundment and pull it all up (been there) Congratulations on being able to have impoundments, Good luck.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I have also had really good luck with planting 1/2 acre Chufa patches in my corn and letting them get grassy, top seeding late August with Japanese Millet. Control the water to about 8 to 10 inches in that area. Ducks will fly up to the corn so don't put too much water in the impoundments.
I do not flood until after Thanksgiving because i deer hunt until then and it usually ensures I have food late. Blackbirds will get a lot of your millet.
What area oi Hyde are your new impoundments? (not looking for a spot or address just something like north of the lake or near the prison. )
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:58 pm

South side of the lake, up around Wysocking Bay.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I have a friend with several secluded impoundments in that area. does well late when there is a lot of ice on lake and rough water in the sound. he plants corn and soybeans in the same impoundments. Mine are on North Lake Road. Like all spots except maybe Wild Wings and some of the best private impoundments we all need weather for really good hunts.

Good luck this year.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Agreed! I have hunted Wild Wings myself around 6 or 7 times..... A boat paddle is all you need!!! :no:
NCfowl
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting