Holly Shelter Gamelands

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Holly Shelter Gamelands

Postby AdamP7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone on here has any Info on the Holly Shelter gamelands? There isn't a whole lot of information on it online. I heard its only open a couple days a week? Permit to hunt? Any luck with the ducks? I am trying to go scout some area before the October hunting period.

Thanks Yall
AdamP7
hunter

Re: Holly Shelter Gamelands

Postby steve382003 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 am

It is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and like all the state owend impoundments more hunters then ducks.
steve382003
hunter

Postby AdamP7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 am

Yeah I figured that, cant really find any private are down here in Wilmington to Hunt.
AdamP7
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am

Not worth the time nor money. Find a little local swamp and you will do just as good.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby yankeehunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 pm

As far as I know the Holly Shelter game lands are open Mon, Wed, and Saturday. Bear Garden tract which is the permit track is open Thur., Frid and Saturday. Correct me if I'm wrong. As NCfowl said, it's really not worth it. More hunters then birds. The impoundment off of Lodge rd. was only half flooded during dove season. Saw quite a few groups of local woodies fly into the impoundment when scouting but the local birds are privy to hunters. The impoundment next to the Shaw hwy boat ramp is pretty small and you really need a small layout or even a kayak to hunt it. I'm with NCfowl, it is better to look at local swamp and marsh lands for ducks. You will do just as well and less hunters.
yankeehunter
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 pm

If you go down to the Lodge road impoundment on a Tuesday you can get in line along the road with the other 20 high school kids standing in the back of there pickup trucks and pass shoot the woodies coming out of the roost and let em fall in the drink with no intention of retrieving them. None of them have waders, a dog or a boat. Just straight skybusting. They even cuss the guys goin in early in boats who spook the ducks out before legal! Really pathetic! Jr. commanders at there best!
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby yankeehunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Ok, I stand corrected.... Yes, the impoundments are only open Tuesday and Saturday of the duck hunting season. Of course, it doesn't matter to me because I won't be hunting them, especially when I have miles upon miles of coast line and rivers to hunt..Just Sayin'... :wink:
yankeehunter
hunter

Postby rolltidebama31 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Does any one know if you can hunt holly shelter creek or ashes creek instead if hunting the actual impoundment
rolltidebama31
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm

You can hunt there tues and sat as previously stated. I hunted there a few times probably will not go back due to so many hunters the wood ducks leave 10 min before shooting time your lucky if you get a decent spot where a hunter doesn't find your spot and try to piggy back off your spread 20 min before shooting time. I bought a boat to get away from the Barney's out there. People in white fiberglass boats trying to hunt out of them it's ridiculous
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 am

Sounds a lot like High Rock!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby wood duck whacker31 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Holly shelter really isn't a bad place to hunt (IF) you know where to hunt. I shoot my limit in woodies about 60% of the time I go out there hence it's mostly wood ducks BUT I've spent time money gas and days scouting that place cause it close to where I live and convenient. I've killed very few other duck out there other than woodies, does any body else have that same experience with only killin woodies outs there.
wood duck whacker31
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting