Hyde County Swan Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Hyde County Swan Hunting

Postby nscochrane1009 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 am

Hello Forum,
I am new to the forum and hunting in Hyde County. My wife and I (she is a first time hunter) just put in for our swan permits and we are really hoping to make a trip to get swan permits. Does anyone have any advice on: places to stay, places to hunt (preferably public), strategies to use, etc. We would prefer not to pay a guide fee since we both are teachers (and we all know how much they get paid.) Any advice and guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

N. Cochrane
nscochrane1009
hunter

Re: Hyde County Swan Hunting

Postby duk-cmdr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

I know you mentioned you were against it...but honestly a guide is your best bet. you should be able to find someone to put you on them for $100 ea with 100% success rate.

otherwise you'll need a mess of swan dekes and access to a field, or try them over water (with a couple swan dekes)

when I'm in Hyde I've always personally stayed at the Hydeaway.

p.s. I'm not a guide and not affliated w/the Hydeaway :smile:
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm

duk-cmdr wrote:I know you mentioned you were against it...but honestly a guide is your best bet. you should be able to find someone to put you on them for $100 ea with 100% success rate.

otherwise you'll need a mess of swan dekes and access to a field, or try them over water (with a couple swan dekes)

Good advice above

I've always stayed at Carawan's motel
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby nscochrane1009 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 am

Thank you so much guys for your input, hydeaway and Carawans both look like great places to stay. Any suggestions on guides?
nscochrane1009
hunter

Postby killinhiflyers » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 am

Hunting permission is hard to obtain in Hyde county. There are several guides around that will take you and your wife swan hunting for $100 ea. My advise on killing a swan is let them get close and I mean close. They decoy very easy. Use BB or T so you won't have to chase it down or have a wounded bird.
killinhiflyers
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am

First pull the swan permit and then worry about setting up a hunt. No need to worry a guide on setting up a hunt on a "maybe"
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby captrig » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 am

IF you get a permit give me a call. I have an impound in Hyde that is no problem to kill one. also cheap lodging for 25/person in a house. Could duck hunt as well for a little bit more but if all you want is swan that is easily arranged. 252 339 6694
captrig
Newb

Postby nscochrane1009 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 am

Capt. Rig I sent you a PM.
nscochrane1009
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting