Moving to NC.

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Moving to NC.

Postby Chevyman1185 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,

New guy here. I'm a native Marylander looking to move out of state starting next year. North Carolina is one of the states on my list. I'll be in Jacksonville NC for a few days in early Nov. and want to use that as an opportunity to check out some property. I'm big into waterfowl hunting (mainly goose) and would like to know where are some good areas in the eastern part of the state to look into? I'm looking to buy 20-30 acres of land to hunt myself but want to make sure I'm in a good waterfowl area.

So what can anyone tell me? Also, what are property prices like? Like I said, I'll be in Jacksonville for a day or two but can check out ares in the north or south as I'm driving down and back.

Thanks
Chevyman1185
Newb

Re: Moving to NC.

Postby Shurshot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Sadly, if goose hunting is your forte', you won't be happy here-especially in Jacksonville. Yes, we have a resident Canada season but those opportunities are becoming thin. Only migratory hunt-able birds are in the NE section (NE hunt zone) of our state, the season is late and very short, and you have to obtain a permit for that area.

As for property (acreage), it varies depending on lots of things. Fields from 2500-4000K/ac. But you won't find any goose fields as they just aren't here like they were back in 70's and 80's.

If you're military, look at your other options. We are not the waterfowl mecca of the Atlantic flyway by any means . . . :no:
Shurshot
hunter

Re: Moving to NC.

Postby puppypopper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 am

Just relocate to the RTP area, we have lots of them. I get tired of taking the pressure washer and cleaning the side walks here at the plant. Plus the farmers here hate them. All I have done is ask to hunt them, with the response of " KILL THEM ALL. "
But still, its no meca.
puppypopper
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting