New to Hunting...help appreciated

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New to Hunting...help appreciated

Postby Stocktonbass » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi, I'm in the Fort Bragg area and have lately been really eager to get into duk hunting, but as of right now am pretty clueless as to where to begin and what gear I should look into. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Stocktonbass
Newb

Re: New to Hunting...help appreciated

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Find a swamp or wetland and start hunting woodies. There are a few places on Bragg if you scout around. Waders and a box of shells is all you need to get started.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby tsamp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Know the birds you intend to kill, scout,learn calling and decoying and that's a good starting base! From there its all hard work and dedication like anything else. Good luck!
tsamp
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Best way to find a spot in your area is Google Earth. It will show you streams with a beaver dam. There should be a number of these at Ft Bragg. It is best to have someone with you. You can go from knee deep water to over your head in a step. Alway take along a swamp stick (6 ft hickory about 2 inches in diameter) to test the depth in front of you. In swamps woodies tend to fly creek channels so set up along the edge of one of these where you have good visibility but can hide well. if you have a shot gun with a 3 inch or greater chamber the 3 inch #3 shot works well. Especially if a Mallard comes by. Quite a few of those in our area. A few decoy seems to help (no more than 6 or 8) 4 or 5 mallards and 3 wood ducks. make sure you really know what you are doing before you call. This usually does more harm than good. Practice a 5 note lonesome hen and only blow it softly and only when ducks are going away from you.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:33 am

Just curious, why are you wanting to get into duck hunting? I'm not picking on you or wanting to go into some anti nubie rant. I honestly am curious. Did you grow up in a hunting family-culture? Why duck hunting and not deer or something else, I don't know maybe you are doing deer too.

I grew up fishing and my dad liked working on cars and such. My uncles got me into hunting, mostly deer, then my deer friends got me into duck hunting. Really, I am curious.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:58 pm

I hunt Ft Bragg all the time. One big tip...never ever hunt the roost. Many wet lands get absolutely killed due to greedy hunters hunting in the roost on Fort Bragg. It happens a lot and by the end of November the ducks disappear to private land. There are a ton of marshes on Bragg. I normally kill woodies and a few ringnecks, the occasionally mallard or bufflehead. Sometimes you run into teal, but 99% of the time woodies. Bragg is descent sometimes, but you must scout a lot.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Last tip, the wildlife managers at Bragg drained a few of the main wet lands and they are dried up. This has created a huge drop in the bird numbers. The Saturday opener consisted of most people not killing anything. Of the 63 hunters that went out, one got a limit and four others killed a bird, all others were skunked. They did a poor job managing this past summer and the hunting has suffered greatly. I got to find private land to hunt.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting