New duck hunter

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New duck hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 am

So i've never been before and I've read over some posts about what you need.

Basic list as follows (PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS)
Shotgun min 3inch shells
waders
call
shells

Now for the shotgun I am looking to get a nice one and im aware of the cost, Im leaning more towards gas system rather than inertia. Would prefer the ability to shoot 3 1/2's

Also right now im located in Rowan county anyone know of a real good spot to go?
Mask5687
hunter

Re: New duck hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:20 am

Oh boy
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 am

decoycarver0205 wrote:Oh boy

Care to give something useful?
Mask5687
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:02 am

yea erase the last sentence of your post
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:15 am

Ok I see, found the post about cyberscouters and such not being welcomed with open arms.

So lets try this then, Since I have no idea what I am looking for in a spot to hunt duck/goose. IF i look at google maps or something what should I look for in a spot? So if I find something I can go scout it out myself.
Mask5687
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 am

alright. im going to just assume you have taken a hunters safety course, and know how to fire a gun SAFELY.

Step 1: figure out if any of your close friends or relatives duck hunt or can point you in the direction of someone who does. (hunting on private land is usually less of a headache than public)

Step 2: see if they will take you and show you the ropes

Step 3: don't come on the internet and post the places you killed ducks when someone takes you to a spot. this will make them not want to take you again if their spot is getting blown up.

step 4: if you think it is something you would like to continue, keep going, find friends to go with, learn the finer points of hunting.

Any other questions?
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:42 am

Thats the problem im a Army vet who just moved to the area and dont know many people besides my wife's family. No duck hunters. Yes i've taken a course.
Mask5687
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 am

Look for ducks, if you find ducks get where they were the day before you hunt before they do. Set out a few decoys and when they come back to the spot they were previously at shoot them. The first 2 years you hunt, leave your calls in the truck. They will do more harm than good. Knowing when to and when not to call is just as if not more important than knowing how to call. All of those things will come with time. Learning on your own is going to be hard and will take you years. That learning curve can be shortened exponentially if you find a friend or relative that duck hunts already and learn from them. Since you are new to the area, you might consider joining your local DU or Delta Chapter and making friends with like minded people. When they take you somewhere, don't blow up that spot. It might be public land, but it isn't right for you to abuse their kindness by advertising that spot or hunting it all of the time.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 am

forgive me but what is a du? or delta chapter?
Mask5687
hunter

Postby cut'um » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Man before you get on a site and post a thread you should probably do a little research about the sport. Hell you found this website! DU stands for Ducks Unlimited. Your best bet is to get out and scout areas you think ducks might be. Start on your own and as you get out and hunt you'll meet other hunters. Make connections & bonds and probably have a few hunting buddies.
cut'um
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Mask5687 wrote:forgive me but what is a du? or delta chapter?

Google must be broken
hankyorke
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 pm

hankyorke wrote:
Mask5687 wrote:forgive me but what is a du? or delta chapter?

Google must be broken

Nah, it's someone trolling. My money says if a moderator checks the ip the op has multiple accounts. Have at it, this one is looking to stir the pot.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Mask5687 wrote:So lets try this then, Since I have no idea what I am looking for in a spot to hunt duck/goose. IF i look at google maps or something what should I look for in a spot?

Corn and water.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 pm

I don't know how you NC boys do it. Trolling or not, I've never seen so many "I'm new, where should I hunt" posts in my life.

Feckless, squid-like humans.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:30 am

This could get interesting and funny REAL quick. :welcome: :beer: :lol:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:13 am

hankyorke wrote:I don't know how you NC boys do it. Trolling or not, I've never seen so many "I'm new, where should I hunt" posts in my life.

Feckless, squid-like humans.

It's sad...thank these forums for killing the sport :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Is it even considered a sport anymore? More like a brag fest of fools with a bunch of shiny new gear their daddy bought them. Every year the crowds and manners decline a bit more increasing the hassle factor to almost unbearable levels. The funny thing is if you offer a few words of wisdom you get the " I know what I'm doing, f#*@ off this is public land type of deal. I beg to differ young whipper snappers when you show up 5 min before LST, set up facing the sun, set up 60 yards upwind of the 3 crappy decoys you brought, wearing a white shirt, blowing your duck call which sounds more like a KAZOO, and standing up in your two twig blind waving your arms around like you are trying to flag a F-15 into the carrier deck. LIsten more and talk less you just might learn something and possibly even get a few ducks close enough to actually kill instead of shooting at ones 85 yards away screwing it up for everyone.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 pm

sorry but this is my only account, like it should be. Also I did google it but I simply wanted to make sure I was looking in the right place.

I get it that most of you guys think that every guy who says he is new is someone who only wants to do it since they saw it on duck dynasty. Frankly you may be right but I'm not one of them. Oh and my dad didn't buy me anything, I buy my own crap.

Thanks to those who did give some info. Yes I joined DU because I'm sure they will be more helpful than the majorty here
Mask5687
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Hey Mask I was not necessary directing my post to you, just adding on to what Mayhem said, don't take it to personally. Once you go hunt a few times you will see what we are saying.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby Mask5687 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 am

sneak boat wrote:Hey Mask I was not necessary directing my post to you, just adding on to what Mayhem said, don't take it to personally. Once you go hunt a few times you will see what we are saying.

I get it, I have been hunting in general for years. Given I was not aware of the whole cyberscouting thing, I corrected myself and still received some unnecessary replies.

I give respect to those who have been doing this for longer than I. I'm not an expert , won't claim I am. I just want to learn so I can teach my kids.
Mask5687
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting