Heading To North Dakota

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Heading To North Dakota

Postby nchunter54 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm

My group is heading to ND in two weeks and I am looking for suggestions; this will be my first trip. Plan to duck hunt in the mornings and pleasant hunt in the afternoon. Will be in the New Town (northwestern area) section. Will be shipping most of the gear and guns ahead then purchasing the ammo on site. Looking for suggestions and/a heads up - thanks.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Re: Heading To North Dakota

Postby sampsonhuntin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Take me with you and I'll do the scouting and heavy lifting.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Question Don. How are you "shipping" your guns? I'd think you have to send them to a FFL holder because you can't send them to someone/somewhere who doesn't have such license. Maybe your contact/outfitter does? Flying with guns within the US is not all that bad, we have one member in our group that has a 3 gun gun case so we just split that cost. Never have had a problem, even when hunting out of the country with guns not arriving with our plane . . . so far.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:24 am

I hope you have a great hunt up there. Be safe and show some photos when you return.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:38 am

Shurshot wrote:Question Don. How are you "shipping" your guns? I'd think you have to send them to a FFL holder because you can't send them to someone/somewhere who doesn't have such license. Maybe your contact/outfitter does? Flying with guns within the US is not all that bad, we have one member in our group that has a 3 gun gun case so we just split that cost. Never have had a problem, even when hunting out of the country with guns not arriving with our plane . . . so far.

Shurshot - Sorry my comment was a little misleading. We have a friend who is driving out the week before so we are having him take the clothing, waders, guns and gear for us.

Sampsonhuntin - Wish I could, I was invited.

Joe Guide - Hope I can, thanks.

I made this post hoping to hear about things to do or not to do regarding ND. Hope everyone has a safe and successful season.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Do's
Have fun
Scout.... alot
Spend some time talking to farmers if they want to talk. Some of the nicest people you will meet even tho at first they don't look friendly.
Take something from the south as a gift to the "right" farmer(I'm taking BBQ this yr for the guy that let's us keep out trailer on his farm.

Don'ts
Piss off farmers
Drive in muddy fields
Drive over standing crops
Shoot the first 6 ducks you can,be patient it's not like NC, you will have plenty of chances to limit out. Look for drakes.
labman63
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:08 pm

labman63 wrote:Do's
Have fun
Scout.... alot
Spend some time talking to farmers if they want to talk. Some of the nicest people you will meet even tho at first they don't look friendly.
Take something from the south as a gift to the "right" farmer(I'm taking BBQ this yr for the guy that let's us keep out trailer on his farm.

Don'ts
Piss off farmers
Drive in muddy fields
Drive over standing crops
Shoot the first 6 ducks you can,be patient it's not like NC, you will have plenty of chances to limit out. Look for drakes.

Thanks for the tips. Hope you have a safe and successful trip.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby shell drake » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm

What labman said.You are probably gonna see a lot of posted land but dont let that scare you into not asking for permission.It is quite honestly pretty damn amazing how nice the folks out there are.You are going to want to go back year after year for the rest of your life.Good luck I wont be far behind you! :yes:
shell drake
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:46 am

Good suggestions from all. One thing I'd add is to make sure you pack/dress just like you would for hunting here in the winter. Two weeks from now, you could be hunting in a snow storm. And it's most likely that temps in the mornings will be close to freezing. On the flip side, I was up there one year when all you needed was a Tee shirt . . . not exactly what was expected but you know how unpredictable the weather can be. Just be ready for it all. :thumbsup:
Shurshot
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone, the weather is one thing I had looked up; normal highs and lows as well as record highs and lows. I will really start checking it daily the end of next week.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting