Early season spread

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Early season spread

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 am

What kind of spreads you guys like to use early in season for open water? I know that some people will put out 10 mojos and 7 dozen deeks :hammer: , and some people will put out some mixed spreads wigeon, wood duck, mallards teal and goose floaters. What kind you guys like? There are different factor such as weather but just want a general idea of what to set out.
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Re: Early season spread

Postby NCfowl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am

Scout and put out approx. the number of birds you have seen unless it's a ridiculous amount.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby comanche 1-1BRAVO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm

kinda depends but in the more central NC ,more geese than ducks I put out about 15 to 20 goose floaters and some full bodys with a few mallards like 1 drake and 4 hens. look at it this way the last time you were on a golf course or a farm pond what was on that pond if not nothing . remember less is more dont use no damn feed chater no crazy hail calls nothen laud just hamer the short reed and easy on the double or single take your pick. and as usual the NC residance tell you to go kick rocks and scout ect..... just be careful with NC local hunters they get butt sore real easy when you give out intel as if they have been workin at all there lives and God forbid some one show up on there personally owned spit of public marsh. hell im local and I make sure my AR-10 is on me at all times incase one of those ass wipes wants to get all friendly and such.
comanche 1-1BRAVO
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Just match what you see. I usually put out 8-15 duck decoys (Mallards, Teal, or Wood Ducks) with two Mojos...and some goose floaters and then four or five Bigfoots on the bank...very realistic :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 am

We usually put out 6 mallards, and about 8 honkers. Have shot 2 and 3 man limits of mallards and a few geese every year on the October opener for the last 10 years. Sad that I won't be out there Wednesday morning :sad: Always one of the funnest days of the year for me! Hope y'all wear'em out!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby pamlicopounder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:49 am

i normally use 50 to 75 seagulls with a dozen coots off the back.
pamlicopounder
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am

DuckMauler wrote:We usually put out 6 mallards, and about 8 honkers. Have shot 2 and 3 man limits of mallards and a few geese every year on the October opener for the last 10 years. Sad that I won't be out there Wednesday morning :sad: Always one of the funnest days of the year for me! Hope y'all wear'em out!

Gonna try public Saturday, boat ramp will probably be slammed packed :no:
Well can't complain at all that's what you get when ya hunt public an I am a contributing factor at the ramp :biggrin:
Should be fun though for sure
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm

pamlicopounder wrote:i normally use 50 to 75 seagulls with a dozen coots off the back.

where can you buy seagull decoys?
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:50 pm

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_seagull.html

I repaint mine to match our local seagulls.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:21 pm

3 mojos + 1 mojo dove and a jerk string with two hen mallards and a drake. The mojo dove is essential to success.
Willie
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Willie wrote:3 mojos + 1 mojo dove and a jerk string with two hen mallards and a drake. The mojo dove is essential to success.

Don't forget the mallard machine
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 pm

trigger22 wrote:
Willie wrote:3 mojos + 1 mojo dove and a jerk string with two hen mallards and a drake. The mojo dove is essential to success.

Don't forget the mallard machine

If I had one, I'd deploy it too. By the way, one mojo on a 10' pole, one on a 5' pole, one at or near water level, and the dove around 5'. Placement of the dove is key to bringing them in from way out.
Willie
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am

DuckMauler wrote:We usually put out 6 mallards, and about 8 honkers. Have shot 2 and 3 man limits of mallards and a few geese every year on the October opener for the last 10 years. Sad that I won't be out there Wednesday morning :sad: Always one of the funnest days of the year for me! Hope y'all wear'em out!

Going to leave in about an hour for season opener! Never hunted the area where we're going so it should be interesting, pictures to come later on!
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting