Goose Creek/ James Johnson

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Goose Creek/ James Johnson

Postby NCfowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

My buddies are I were talking the other day about the gamelands. With JJ being rather of old of age, what do people think is going to happen with that? I know coastland corporation owns some of the land. I feel like the NC wildlife should purchase this land and make it public just like Pamlico Point impoundments now. The hunting would be tremendous I feel with birds bouncing back and forth and NO CORN in just one side of mouse harbor.
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Goose Creek/ James Johnson

Postby TooTall » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Have you seen the state budget? The last thing they need to be doing is spending more money.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:06 pm

This idea only being if budget allows (somehow). Just a thought here
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I do not for see NC Wildlife ending up with that property. James Johnson actually used to own 1/3 of Pamlico Point. JJ went to the state and wanted to get mouse harbor ditch gated off several years ago and the state did not want to do it. Something happened and the state was able to either buy JJ out or somehow took over his share. I have the oppurtunity to hunt with JJ several times a year and I can tell you that he wouldnt sell or give his land to the state. JJ is a great guy if you take the time to get to know him. I would say that he would either give his property to the Audubon, or sell it. But I have heard that someone has offered him 50 million and he didnt take it.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Holy..... Thats incredible :huh:

I was just thinking in the sense of the hunting being so much better with the birds going just back in forth instead of getting shot at in PP then going and sitting in JJ's.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am

Splashin' Divers wrote:I do not for see NC Wildlife ending up with that property. James Johnson actually used to own 1/3 of Pamlico Point. JJ went to the state and wanted to get mouse harbor ditch gated off several years ago and the state did not want to do it. Something happened and the state was able to either buy JJ out or somehow took over his share.

JJ took the state to court years ago claiming ownership to the point based upon old deeds. The state won the suit.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

Just think how much better hunting would be if they just couldnt sit there though.... :eek: :eek:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

NCfowl wrote:Just think how much better hunting would be if they just couldnt sit there though.... :eek: :eek:

You familiar with the asshattery that takes place in the public impoundments and around the edges of the public impoundments? Imagine if the asshats had two or three times the amount of places to go and perform their asshattery. Thank the man upstairs there are places off limits to the asshats that a duck can go and get some relief from the asshattery.
Willie
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Willie wrote:
NCfowl wrote:Just think how much better hunting would be if they just couldnt sit there though.... :eek: :eek:

You familiar with the asshattery that takes place in the public impoundments and around the edges of the public impoundments? Imagine if the asshats had two or three times the amount of places to go and perform their asshattery. Thank the man upstairs there are places off limits to the asshats that a duck can go and get some relief from the asshattery.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Willie wrote:

This! JJ's actually acts as a big refuge. They put almost no pressure on the birds there which actually is a tremendous asset to the rest of the area. If they couldn't roost, loaf, and feed undisturbed there, where would they????? Sure, they will go sit on the sound at times but it doesn't offer anything other than a temporary place to rest.
Use to be back in the "old" days, you could go just about anywhere on the Pam River and sound and consistently shoot puddlers. All that changed over the years with the inundation of impoundments, especially around the Hyde Co area. Now, there are very few places to kill them as they will mostly be around areas that afford refuge . . . . . like JJ's. Yeah, it sucks sometimes to see all the birds over there and little at the Point but in the grand scheme of things, it indeed is blessing. For how long, only the good lord knows . . .
Shurshot
hunter

Postby black_duck » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 pm

I have had the opportunity to hunt jj impoundments before. Managed to perfection. I do not see him selling it to the state as well. The last I heard the whole thing was for sale for 20 million.
black_duck
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:42 am

I wouldn't say managed to perfection. There are plenty of other big salt water impoundments that as managed a whole lot better than JJ's. But what I think he does a good job at it keeping the pressure off the area. I think JJ owns more impoundments than days he actually hunted last year. I think they do a good job of keeping the water level high in his ponds until the last split to keep plenty of food in the ponds for the the last split when all of JJ's hunting takes place.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Splashin' Divers wrote:I wouldn't say managed to perfection. There are plenty of other big salt water impoundments that as managed a whole lot better than JJ's. But what I think he does a good job at it keeping the pressure off the area. I think JJ owns more impoundments than days he actually hunted last year. I think they do a good job of keeping the water level high in his ponds until the last split to keep plenty of food in the ponds for the the last split when all of JJ's hunting takes place.

All that....and 20 tons of corn.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm

:lol: can't argue with that.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 pm

plenty of corn and little to no pressure, makes ducks happy
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Giant Killer wrote:plenty of corn and little to no pressure, makes ducks happy

And elsewhere from public water when it's time to hunt.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 am

I'm not saying back in the day there was not any corn put out there, but I can assure you there is not any put out anymore. As a matter of fact, JJ is scared to put out corn for deer on the paths anymore. Ever since he was charged several years back, he has been by the books.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby reelly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm

JJ is a great guy and probably misunderstood by many.
New Bern,NC
reelly
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:11 pm

How do you misunderstand a man who has false blinds erected on the perimeter of all of his waterfront property, then has his caretakers harass anybody who dares to hunt offshore, even if they've carefully scanned with a rangefinder to be sure they're over 500 yds off? And somebody who regularly has corn dumped into his impoundments and waters near his house, which are not hunted, simply to hold birds from public waters where somebody else might hunt them?

What a prince!

He IS a great guy to anybody he chooses to inhabit his sphere of influence and money, no doubt.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:45 pm

James is a very nice guy. I think the people that think he is a bad guy, are the ones that are harrassing his property. If anyone of you guys owned the property that he does you would be the same way. IF not, people would take advantage of you.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 am

That's a load of crap.

If he hunted the shoreline of his property, that would be one thing. But he NEVER does. Those "blinds" might meet the technical definition of a huntable blind, but are constructed for one thing and one thing only...to keep people from hunting near his property, in violation of the public trust doctrine of the NC Constitution.

p.s. Nobody I know wants to hunt ON his property. What they do want is to be able to use their (the people of NC's) water. I personally don't want to touch anything he owns...anywhere...at any time. I don't even want to pi$$ on his property. But I DO want to be able to use what's mine...and everybody else in this state's.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:09 am

What tells you that it is YOURS? The law states that you can not hunt within 500 yards of another hunting location. So the same book that tells you that you have right to public waters, also tells you that you cant hunt within 500 yards of another hunting location. It's the law. I may not agree with it, and you may not either. But it is what it is.

James has a duck hunting paradise and he knows it. If he didn't go the distance that he goes to keep people from hunting on his property, people would ruin what he has. I think we can all look across the canal at Pamlico Point and see that. Pamlico Point used to produce the same as James' does now, however the public has ruined that.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby mwp1023 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am

If those "blinds" were hunted I would have no beef about it. Its his land and it is a county law that states no hunting within 500 yards. However, to just put up three stakes and a piece of burlap is a douche move at best.

BTW JJ is not a nice guy he is the truest form of a douche bag. His goons will run people off that are just fishing in a boat around his property in the middle of the summer.
mwp1023
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:05 am

Douche move if the care taker runs you off in the summer.... don't scare away his hundreds of res black ducks :biggrin:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 am

I find it hard to believe that he was running people from the property during the summer. As a matter-of-fact, the only time he is worried about it is from November on. Call it what you may, but I think he is a smart fellow! You dont keep a place a duck hunting paradise by letting everybody hunt your property freely!

If I were yall, I wouldn't come to Lowland and hunt this year. There won't be any ducks there anyways! They will all be in James' paradise! HAHA!
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting