Drew Set Net Creek Blind at Currituck NWR, info appreciated

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Drew Set Net Creek Blind at Currituck NWR, info apprecia

Postby yankeehunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Not to hijack this post but a buddy and I drew for the Southeast Island blind at Currituck for the end of December and plan on scouting it prior to driving up on Friday. We were looking at the satilitie of the area, knowing that we would need a boat where trying to locate the boat landing. The only thing we could find in the area looked like a private ramp. The boat ramp mentioned earlier in the post where is it located and where is the store for registration. Couldn't find any info on the NCWRC web site. We are also taking my buddy's 14' double wide alumicraft with a 4 stroke 20 hp yamaha to make the trip into the water. Knowing about the winds and how rough the water can get in the sound we still thought it would be doable. But, after reading the posts I am wondering if this is going to be enough boat? I have a 16' single wide and 1/2 fiberglass trihull with a 2 stroke 50 hp but she is dry docked right now due to damage but if I have too I'll get it fixed. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...
yankeehunter
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Southeast Island blind you dont have to sign in for. You use the ramp at the whalehead club and light house. It is open to the public.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby FowlPlay27403 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Ended up hunting one of my guides blinds instead of Set Net. FYI if the water is calm like it was during our hunt there is no reason you couldn't paddle from the boat ramp. We didn't hunt Set Net due to the fact that there wasn't enough water in the marsh. Ended up killing our limits, however they were all Ruddy's except for 1 blue bill, and 1 hooded merg, both drakes. We spoke to some guys that hunted near Set Net that morning and they only killed 1 gadwall, so props to Mr. Cliff Scott for putting us on enough birds to fill our limits, regardless of the fact that they were just boobies. I hope to draw this blind again next year, but we will be bringing my buddies boat and hopefully there will be some bigger ducks in the area. It was still really cool getting to hunt in historic Currituck, and if you need a solid guide that knows what he is doing and is a lot of fun to be around contact Cliff Scott.
FowlPlay27403
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:26 am

I wouldn't brag about killing a limit of basically ruddys.
Percy86
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:38 am

Percy86 wrote:I wouldn't brag about killing a limit of basically ruddys.

Amen :thumbsup:
Either you were hungry and wanted to kill something to eat or just needed to shoot something so you would have a picture to post up on your Facebook page.
Hopefully you were hungry :huh:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby high flyer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Don't knock ruddys they eat just fine and are fun to shoot when they get to flying around. Isn't that what hunting is about killing food? I'd shoot a limit of them in a heartbeat. Brag away FowlPlay.
high flyer
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:29 pm

high flyer wrote:Isn't that what hunting is about killing food?

Not for me as far as duck hunting is concerned. Personally think duck taste like crap. I will admit something is wrong with me and for some odd reason I am angry at the duck and want to kill everyone I see. Don't worry though, I don't let the poor things go to waste. When my dog was still around, he used to love to eat them as a reward for a good days hunt. Now I've got a handful of hungry people who will take everyone that I'll give them. Actually just got done cleaning a pile of mallards ,wood ,and teal we shot this morning that will be going to the guys at work tomorrow :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby high flyer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

So you only shoot ducks to give them to someone or something else to eat because you say that you hate them and they taste like crap but you judge someone else for what they shoot?
high flyer
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Pretty much.
I hunt ducks for the sport and challenge of it. Water swatting a ruddy that swims by the blind does not fulfill either of those. Only reason to shoot one is because you are hungry which I am not. I would be willing that 75% of all ruddy ducks that are shot wind up in the ditch and were killed just to brag "I got my limit"
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby high flyer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm

I am fairly certain that very few if any of the ruddys they killed were shot on the water. A flying ruddy can be a sporty little bird. As for what they did with them afterwords I am not sure but if they were mine I would eat them. They brought a higher price than most puddle ducks in the market days. In fact if they puddle ducks don't show up on this front I'm gonna try to shoot some of those same ruddys next week.
high flyer
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Eastdown&bound you probably like shooting hairy heads. Ducks are ducks no matter what. Its all a limit. You probably been saving those ducks in the fridge since the startof the season. They eat well just as any other ducks do, you just have to know how to cook them.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I have shot a fish duck or 2 on the wing mainly when things are slow or someone wants to work their hound.
Your probably right about all ducks are the same. I guess it's about the same challenge to shoot a limit of mallards and blacks in the river bottoms as it is to drive the boat up to a group of ruddies and water swat them because they are too dumb to fly off. Man I've been doing it wrong and the hard way all these years. :lol3:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby high flyer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 pm

At what point did anyone say anything about running the ruddys? There has been a ton of them around and most mornings they get up and fly around, the blinds around where they are staying get some shooting out of them. They have saved many slow mornings for the guides down there with the lack of blackheads, wigeon, gadwall and pretty much everything else the last month or so.
high flyer
hunter

Postby FowlPlay27403 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 am

Hey gentlemen, sorry I am back late to the party. Me and my buddies were not there to kill limits of Ruddy's but that is the hand we were dealt and I for one loved the shoot. I got to kill a limit, which as we all know is not a common thing in NC. We did NOT shoot any birds on the water. There was no need there were so many flying around, so it was good practice and good fun. And these birds were moving, so trust me when I say that it was sporting. I have never eaten a Ruddy, but our guide said they tasted alright so thats why we kept shooting them. You better believe we brested every single on of those birds, and if I don't like the way they taste I will make jerky and feed them to the 5 dogs that I have between my girlfriend, sister and brother in law, and my parents. I would never waste a bird so you have nothing to worry about. As far as shooting Ruddy's, we drove a long way and spent a good amount of money, lets just say in those situations if its flying its dying. And you would be hard pressed to find any other duck hunter that isn't made of money that wouldn't do the exact same thing in our situation. There weren't very many other birds around but there were about 2 million Ruddy's so we had fun with what we had. Taking turns shooting at singles and doubles that would scream in to the deecs. If you ask me that's what hunting is about. Getting to shoot, getting some kills, missing some birds, and having a lot of laughs. Which is exactly what we did. Like I said Cliff did everything he could possibly do to put us on birds. He can't control the weather, and he can't control the birds, so all in all we had a heck of a day and I am proud of our Ruddy hunt. Beautiful place and I hope to be back there next year with maybe a few more Pintails and Mallards in the bag! At ease gentlemen.
FowlPlay27403
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 pm

No hurt feelings here. Glad you had a good shoot and enjoyed yourself.
From my limited experiance I haven't seen much flying or decoying from ruddies. Mainly just a bunch of Jr's running them down with the boat and gunning from the bow.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 pm

If I went after ruddys......damn I'd have a heck of a season. :biggrin:
NCfowl
hunter

Previous

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting