impoundments

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

impoundments

Postby easye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Saw in a earlyer post that it was illegeal to walk around the impoundmnts. I have not seen this information, not saying do not believe but would just like to read. If you can not walk around durring day light then how are are you really suppose to look for thinks like where hunter cross overs are and what kind of cover may need to bring and etc. I have never really hunted any of the state impoundments so just wondering.
easye
hunter

Re: impoundments

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

copied from the NCWRC page:

If a waterfowl impoundment has a posted scouting-only zone,
all activities except hunting and trapping are restricted to that
zone from Nov. 1 to March 15.

you need to check to see if the impoundment you are looking at has a scouting zone (observation tower, designated scouting walking trail, etc)
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby easye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

thanks. I dont know how i missed. looking at regs for each impoundment individually
easye
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 pm

I think I remember you got pulled for Futch. They DO have an observation tower. Two of them actually. You can only walk to them and that is it. You have to rely on a good pair of binoculars to see what you are looking for. It sucks but that is how it is.
jcz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 am

Take a look at the gamelands map. You can find it at ncwildife.org. It will show you everything you need to know. If you cant find the well marked wooden bridges, there are access ramps for the tractors to get into the fields. You can see most of the area from either observation tower. Now that we have blind stakes (awesome!!!! :fingerhead: ) you dont need to scout too hard for ducks. My advice is if you are so worried, go in the next 2 weekends and walk around and figure out how to get in there. Its not too hard. You can walk around wherever until nov 1. Good luck.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 am

at Futch dont walk from tower to tower either, drive around to the other parking area

you'll be able to see bridges, cover, and blind lcts from the towers with a pair of binos....and hopefully without disturbing the birds

good luck!
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:33 am

jcz wrote:It sucks but that is how it is.

I disagree. If it wasnt like this, people would be walking all over the place (more so than now) and harass every bird in there. At Futch, for instance, you'd have 19 groups of hunters through there "scouting".
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby easye » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am

Yea i was thinking of futch. Hunting blind 3 first trip. did not see a hunter crossover no where near it. only one shown on map would mean would have to wade across lower end. was going to just check how deep drainage ditches were at blind during light. that way if they were to deep to wade threw then i waould not have to walk all the way back around.
easye
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

the drainage ditches that adjoin the dike are too deep to wade. You must cross a hunter bridge. the ones in the middle of the fields are deep but some can be crossed.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby jcz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am

Giant Killer wrote:
jcz wrote:It sucks but that is how it is.

I disagree. If it wasnt like this, people would be walking all over the place (more so than now) and harass every bird in there. At Futch, for instance, you'd have 19 groups of hunters through there "scouting".

You Sir speak the truth.
jcz
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:24 pm

"the drainage ditches that adjoin the dike are too deep to wade. You must cross a hunter bridge. the ones in the middle of the fields are deep but some can be crossed."

So if I am going to blind 14 do I need to worry about drainage ditches? Do I need to worry about drainage ditches in the middle of the field? Thanks for any help, I don't want to drown....I am only 42.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 am

There are big ditches on the inside of the dykes between the field and the dyke. These were dug to get the soil to build the dykes. The fields themselves have smaller drainage ditches every 75 yards or so. They do not run the entire length of the field, but end towards the end ot allow for the tractor to get around. The catfish ponds in the back can be walked across without any problems. To access 14, I would park on the parking lot right on 64 and go to one of the three walk in access ramps (used to get the tractor in the field so they are big) and tread carefully. Even at night, its easy to tell where a ditch is and where the field is with a light. Go walk around your local corn field. Its just like that but flooded with a large perimeter ditch. Also read the gamelands map online. Pretty self explanatory. Of go take a look before you hunt. You cant walk around but you can see the closer impoundments and get an idea of what the layout for the fields are.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Sorry to askone more, but how deep are the fields in general. heard wigeon, teal, and gadwalls are working the area now. Thanks for the info you ahave already given!
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 am

dry to 2 feet is what i have seen, and in the same field.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 am

I was looking at the blind placement and wind direction for my hunt. DNR did not take into account that ducks land into the wind and most blinds are less than 200m's from each other. Therefore if you hunt like a duck hunter, people will be in the line of fire of others. I will off set my decoys as to not shoot into other parties, but I bet not many others will do it. The sun will come up and people will then notice the other blind 100m down wind of their decoys. I can't wait to hear the posts on Sunday of how things go the first day at Morgan Futch. Also the far north blinds on a north wind have no way of being hunted. If there is a dike immediately down wind of your position that blind is then rendered unhuntable except for pass shooting unless you can offset your blind. DNR also has not stated if the blinds can be rotated for wind direction. I can't wait to see it. I just want the opportunity to shot at something besides a wood duck for once. I should limit out on woodies Saturday.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 am

How many parties are drawn each day now that there are blinds? I did not get drawn for Futch so I have no idea how it is going to work there now. DId they fill each blind with a hunter or is it still only 5 to 6 parties per section?

chrmaxell, if it is anything like opening day last year you may as well shoot at the wood ducks too. My party last year passed on the woodie shots. Wanted to hold out for the other ducks we saw the week before. We left with three ducks. It was an all out war for the first hour. Everybody else there was shooting the woodies and by the time it was all over the bigger ducks had left the county.
jcz
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 am

CaptG,

I just viewed your gallery on your website. Very cool pics. It looks like you are good.

The photo of the layout in the fog is very cool.
Paul26
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting