North Dakota

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

North Dakota

Postby nchunter54 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:37 am

Two hunting buddies and I were invited out to North Dakota for some duck and pheasant hunting. Had planned to hunt 3 ½ days but the rain cut that short. We did see tons of ducks sitting on the potholes and were able to take a few. They would not decoy well at all, too many others holes to sit down in I guess. The pheasant hunting went well also. We took 12 roosters in one hedge row. Saw some old NC friends from 30 years back all the way out there and they still live here; one less than 10 miles from me. Our buddy had some great dogs (labs and pointers) that really helped. It was a great trip and I hope to go back again.

Will try to figure out a way to post some photos.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Re: North Dakota

Postby nchunter54 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:47 am

Forum 2.jpg
Ducks from one afternoon

Forum 1.jpg
My first pheasant

Forum 3.jpg
One hedge row
nchunter54
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Looks like a great trip and plenty of meat great job
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 pm

We ate all the pheasant before we left. Did see three of these at the meat processor before we left.

Don
Attachments
Forum 4.jpg
nchunter54
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Congrats on a successful trip :thumbsup:
Looks like you had a big time
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby thessminnow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm

That was a time in this land! You ought to have told 'em about how your first rooster got up from literally nowhere/no cover(but Bella did tell us he was there). Heck of a shot by you as well! Ron & I saw a cow moose right past the house on our way home, by the way.
thessminnow
Newb

Postby nchunter54 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:39 am

thessminnow wrote:That was a time in this land! You ought to have told 'em about how your first rooster got up from literally nowhere/no cover(but Bella did tell us he was there). Heck of a shot by you as well! Ron & I saw a cow moose right past the house on our way home, by the way.

It was a great trip. Glad to hear you guys are back, hope the trip went well. Toots dropped us off at the airport Monday afternoon and I was home about midnight. How did you finish up? I got a text that there were new birds showing up after we left.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby thessminnow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Yep we made it, but man the older I get the harder that ride gets! There were right many new redleg mallets showing up the last day. We limited out in about an hour our last day(& I got to shoot a bonus canvasback)! Road hunted back to the house & I was able to shoot a triple on roosters, down by the lake(I told those young boys to get outta the truck & come on, but they were too slow!)! Really enjoyed hunting & hanging out with y'all! Hope I can go back next year & I really hope y'all will!
thessminnow
Newb

Postby nchunter54 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:55 am

I really hope that we can, it was a lot of fun and a heck of a good time. You boys walked an old fat man to death, it took a week for the swelling to go down in my knee. Sidney and Bella were great also, those were some very well trained dogs. We may need to wait a little later next time in hopes of seeing more ducks and geese coming in. Hope your dad is better, tell him I ask about him. Just keep Ron away from the plum-bob!

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting