Croatan National Forest

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Croatan National Forest

Postby shaneefird44 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Anybody ever had any luck at the Catfish Lake Impoundment?
"Do what you love."
shaneefird44
hunter

Re: Croatan National Forest

Postby mwp1023 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:06 pm

mwp1023
hunter

Postby shaneefird44 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Not really sure what the intentions were for posting that mwp1023. A simple yes or no would have sufficed. So, if anybody else reads this post and has a relevant response to my question I would appreciate it.
"Do what you love."
shaneefird44
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Why are people such dicks in this state forum it makes no sense it's not like he was asking where is your blind at on the impoundment so he can set up 40 yds from you and shoot at every duck from 1000 ft and under. People need to lighten up on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Here is my experience. Other's may have had positive ones and I am not trying to spook you away.

BLUF: I went once in 2004 and I will never, ever return. it is crowded. For whatever reason it draws a ton of inexperienced guys who shoot over one another. Calling is crazy....sounds like the kids at the Greenwing event DU puts on at Flatwoods.

I was inexperienced once too....we all were. I think that means you go with a graybeard who teaches you duck-protocol. This does not seem to be the case there.

Now...my one experience was on a Saturday. Perhaps it is better on Tuesday. Note- you can only duck hunt in the Croatan on Tue and Sat. I learned that the hard way ($155 later) on Christmas Eve several years back at Catfish Lake.

Paul
Paul26
hunter

Postby shaneefird44 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks Paul! I have been reading up on their ridiculous regulations and have heard several stories very similar to yours. I appreciate the input though. It is not a place that I usually hear much about, especially from the "gray-beards", but I guess that is probably the reason why.
"Do what you love."
shaneefird44
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 pm

shaneefird44 wrote:It is not a place that I usually hear much about, especially from the "gray-beards", but I guess that is probably the reason why.

DING DING....we have a winner. The "gray-beards" learned the hard way not to talk about such places on these forums. :lol:
In the early 2000's cyberscouting on all of these forums, caused some of the public places to become more crowded.

Take a look at some of these guys, their responses, and their post count, and member date. Their response to your question doesn't make them an @$$#&!*... :hammer:

A PM to someone will help avoid a lot of this.....and will limit a lot of the public ridicule. :lol:
I'd be glad to answer some of your questions....through a PM.
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby shaneefird44 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Thank you for stating the obvious. And I guess by reading your username and information, somehow I was supposed to intuitively know that you have information about the Catfish Lake Impoundments? Again, please do not reply to this post if you do not have relevant information. If you have something to share and would rather do so via PM then thanks in advance. Please do not waste my time and yours by replying to this post telling me something I already know concerning the way this forum works. I am well aware.
"Do what you love."
shaneefird44
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

You crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just trying to help you some. :huh: :huh: :huh:
I would have been glad to share some info with you. :welcome:
Good luck on this forum, you're going to meet a lot of great new friends :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 am

To answer your original question.....yes
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby merg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 am

Metalman wrote:You crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just trying to help you some. :huh: :huh: :huh:
I would have been glad to share some info with you. :welcome:
Good luck on this forum, you're going to meet a lot of great new friends :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they wonder why folks don't wanna 'help' em.
merg
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Lots of sky busting there. I've personally never had a good hunt there (I live I'm New Bern). You may have some luck if you walk to the back of the impoundments, which is a very long walk. Less people/pressure along the backside. If they turned it into a draw hunt it would cut down some on the amount of idiocy out there. I won't be going this year.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby comanche 1-1BRAVO » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:Why are people such dicks in this state forum it makes no sense it's not like he was asking where is your blind at on the impoundment so he can set up 40 yds from you and shoot at every duck from 1000 ft and under. People need to lighten up on here

I completely agree.Way to represent the state, real professional. instead of taking proper initiative to send the writer a PM you bash him because after all that makes the most sense, yall lay down some serious talk about wanting to get others involved in waterfowl hunting and conservation ect... I call BS on all of that way to rep guys. Cyber scouting or not you all know there is a better way to deal with other individuals than that.
comanche 1-1BRAVO
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 am

Since there are so many guys on here wanting to better represent NC, can anyone tell me where I can go to shoot some ducks? I promise not to over hunt it and won't post the location on the internet unless a newbie asks for it and I won't ever take any of my friends there to hunt with me unless my other places aren't producing and if I do take a friend or three I will tell them not to tell anyone about it and that they can't come back to it without me. Catch my drift? Loose lips sink ships boys and girls...
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 am

I just can't understand why someone whos spent the last thirty years EARNING knowledge through trial and error won't GIVE it to some random lazy people on the internet who somehow think they are entitled to know.
merg
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 am

Relax guys he just asked about a specific commonly hunted place that if you look at the wildlife web page shows the impoundment you can answer the question with out giving him your lay Lon of your favorite a simple answer for him would have been. Yeah there are a few out there but it's under heavy hunting pressure and lots of people sky busting you will have to do some work to find a good spot out there". How does that come off saying any specific details or anything beyond general information.

If you didn't want to help anyone why would you join a public duck hunting forum on the internet? You can be helpfull with out giving away your favorite spots is all I'm trying to say
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Nope, but I sure have had some phenominal hunts at High Rock :beer:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

merg wrote:I just can't understand why someone whos spent the last thirty years EARNING knowledge through trial and error won't GIVE it to some random lazy people on the internet who somehow think they are entitled to know.

I know nothing about Catfish whatever, but I love this quote, just sign me "graybeard that will share, but not everything"
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 am

Priceless
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Best time I had there ever was a Tuesday at about 1100 am. Better off scouting other places honestly. There alot of wood ducks on the imp but when 10000 people tromping trough there blowing them out of the roost then start shooting at them 20 min before legal time they learn quickly. It's a huge roost. But, can't hunt it in the evening
stealfeathers
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting