DU and agendas

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

DU and agendas

Postby Bloke » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:52 am

So I have always been a supporter of DU. I am not as active as I used to be. In the past I have been a sponsor and handled all gun transactions for several banquets in my area. The committees for the most part were badly managed and I missed several of the sponsor events just from lack of communication, but that is not what it was about. It was about doing something good for hunting, something I love. I am not sure if you guys have heard it yet but DU is promoting the crap out of the 2013 Farm Bill. This is a bill that supplies a huge chunk of money to DU for consevation efforts. I have been hearing it for the last month. So I got curious and started looking at what was in this bill. 80% of the funds are earmarked for SNAP, which is the food stamp program. In 2001 this program was at $15 billion. Currently the program is paying out $75 billion! The bill was voted down this year due to the house approving and passing cuts to the bill. It is currently up for another vote and DU is pumping it.

So I find myself wondering why I support an organization that 1) does not support hunters, they only support conservation, and 2) promotes legislation that is toxic and killing America for their own benefit? They only receive 6% of the funds. There are plenty of other organizations that support conservation AND hunter's rights. I have always wondered why DU does not support hunter's rights and I guess when you get a huge chunk of money from anti-gun supporters, you can't really go around promoting hunters. I also find it slightly amusing that they name this bill The Farm Bill when 80% of the bill has nothing to do with farming. $764 Billionof the $973 Billion is for the SNAP program.

Before you blindly go and support something just because DU promotes it, think twice and check into it. It is not in your best interest. Also if this does not show you DU's true alliances then I don't knwo what does. I for one will not give them another penny. There are plenty of other conservation, AND hunter's rights organizations to support that don't push liberal agenda's just to get their chunk. Damn the rest of the world as long as I "gets mines."
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: DU and agendas

Postby ibedamn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 am

Bloke, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I found a good easy to read breakdown of the bill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... ats-in-it/

You might want to post this on the Honey Hole. It gets a lot more traffic, and people need to know about this.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 am

I put it in the CI forum, as I figured it could be seen as controversial being political. Some people get pretty butt hurt over politics these days.
Bloke
hunter

Postby slambert91 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 am

Damn, I had no idea, thanks for bringing this to our attention Bloke. I might actually write a research paper on this now and needless to say I probably wont renew my membership with DU.
slambert91
Newb

Postby easye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

I saw this and looked into it also. this is rplacing the expired bill that has been inplace multiple years. This bill lowers the amount of funds that goes to social services ie food stamps. all in all the bill does not look bad. has good parts. puts cap on amount that farms receive. done to help the smaller farmer so that the mega farms do not drain funding. Biggest problem have with bill is that money for crop insurance will not be paid directly to farmer. It does however help with the deductions. Both house and senate bill are close with the house bill being a little smaller. think on is like 955 billion over 10 years.
easye
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:34 am

Typical Gubmt stuff right there that can be summed up with one word...PORK! And that is not the real pork that comes from farms. If one wants to scare themselves to no end and/or get so PO'd they almost want to matrch on DC just take a look at any other "bills" and see just how little money actually goes to the intended program or the name of the bill. Calling this food stamp program a Farm Bill is just one way the libs get to the heart strings of Americans to bolster support for such rediculous legislation.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 pm

DU sucks.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 am

DU is awesome and we all should appreciate this awesome hunting we have had recently because alot of those ducks are a direct result of work done by DU. Never have they said they are a hunters rights organizations. Cant be mad at an organization because they dont do what YOU think they should do when that is no part of their mission or goal.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ncswamphuntin90 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:03 pm

KAhunter very well spoken glad to see someone stand up for DU. Politics will be politics no matter what and depending on what political party is funding the information being disputed your going to find difference on the topic. Having the opportunities as I have had to sit in on meetings of state and national levels with DU on a lot of topics the farm bill being one, it's hard for me too see where a bill that's reaching out to protect private lands from being stripped of their natural resources such as wetlands, and insuring farmers against severe weather, and allowing them to stay on their land which in most cases have been handed down generations is doing harm. DU does a lot behind the scenes to allow other pro hunting agencies to do what they do if you want examples pm me I'll be glad to give em to you... I've spoken with congressmen in office now about this farm bill and their responses are very interesting but they've all recognized one thing about this farm bill in the conversations and that's the words sportsman and outdoorsman. So as a Life Sponsor to DU I'd like for fair recognition to be given to an organization who's done so much for the waterfowl hunting community and all other outdoorsmen who've benefitted from something DU has done.
ncswamphuntin90
hunter

Postby Bloke » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:34 am

ncswamphuntin90 wrote:KAhunter very well spoken glad to see someone stand up for DU. Politics will be politics no matter what and depending on what political party is funding the information being disputed your going to find difference on the topic. Having the opportunities as I have had to sit in on meetings of state and national levels with DU on a lot of topics the farm bill being one, it's hard for me too see where a bill that's reaching out to protect private lands from being stripped of their natural resources such as wetlands, and insuring farmers against severe weather, and allowing them to stay on their land which in most cases have been handed down generations is doing harm. DU does a lot behind the scenes to allow other pro hunting agencies to do what they do if you want examples pm me I'll be glad to give em to you... I've spoken with congressmen in office now about this farm bill and their responses are very interesting but they've all recognized one thing about this farm bill in the conversations and that's the words sportsman and outdoorsman. So as a Life Sponsor to DU I'd like for fair recognition to be given to an organization who's done so much for the waterfowl hunting community and all other outdoorsmen who've benefitted from something DU has done.

Hey I support all 20% of the Farm Bill that you speak of. That is how much that is allotted to conservation and farmers. If they were to separate it then I would be all for it and you never would have seen my post. The problem is that the Farm Bill has become a trojan horse for food stamps ever growing budget and DU is in a way facilitating it. DU is taking advantage of their supporters. Hunters see DU promoting something called the Farm Bill and automatically support it without knowing what is in it on good faith of DU. I bet if 90% of them actually knew what was in it, they would not support it, so I just wanted to get the information out there. DU is basically getting a kick back on the backs of their supporters based on someone's political agenda. It is irresponsible for an organization to ask for support of something without fully informing their supporters of a huge aspect of what it is they are promoting. Where is the integrity?
Bloke
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Bloke wrote:
ncswamphuntin90 wrote:KAhunter very well spoken glad to see someone stand up for DU. Politics will be politics no matter what and depending on what political party is funding the information being disputed your going to find difference on the topic. Having the opportunities as I have had to sit in on meetings of state and national levels with DU on a lot of topics the farm bill being one, it's hard for me too see where a bill that's reaching out to protect private lands from being stripped of their natural resources such as wetlands, and insuring farmers against severe weather, and allowing them to stay on their land which in most cases have been handed down generations is doing harm. DU does a lot behind the scenes to allow other pro hunting agencies to do what they do if you want examples pm me I'll be glad to give em to you... I've spoken with congressmen in office now about this farm bill and their responses are very interesting but they've all recognized one thing about this farm bill in the conversations and that's the words sportsman and outdoorsman. So as a Life Sponsor to DU I'd like for fair recognition to be given to an organization who's done so much for the waterfowl hunting community and all other outdoorsmen who've benefitted from something DU has done.

Hey I support all 20% of the Farm Bill that you speak of. That is how much that is allotted to conservation and farmers. If they were to separate it then I would be all for it and you never would have seen my post. The problem is that the Farm Bill has become a trojan horse for food stamps ever growing budget and DU is in a way facilitating it. DU is taking advantage of their supporters. Hunters see DU promoting something called the Farm Bill and automatically support it without knowing what is in it on good faith of DU. I bet if 90% of them actually knew what was in it, they would not support it, so I just wanted to get the information out there. DU is basically getting a kick back on the backs of their supporters based on someone's political agenda. It is irresponsible for an organization to ask for support of something without fully informing their supporters of a huge aspect of what it is they are promoting. Where is the integrity?

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:10 pm

DU is a Wetlands Conservation Organization.

After several years being involved (Area Chair and District Chair), I decided I was investing too much time for reasons I thought was not justifiable.

I figured since DU was MOSTLY supported by hunters... they would support hunters.
I was wrong. Thus my decision to use my time on other things.

I still believe DU does better than nothing at all... so I'm a member still.
Delta has it's quirks too... but, is better than nothing... so I'm still a member.

Even though I don't see eye to eye with both orgs on every issue... still, it's better for us hunters, than nothing.

If either Org was to break out, and really perform for hunters in a mighty way - it would be beneficial to them, and us, and a mass following would ensue.

But.. as we can see (thanks to the OP), it's not all as "cut and dry" as exec's try to make it look.

Nice post.
Nice read.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting