That moment when you catch a poacher

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

That moment when you catch a poacher

Postby Bloke » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:47 am

So I have a 550 acre lease with 2 other guys mainly for deer but I also do allot of duck hunting there. There are 2 fields that border our lease and the main path actually is right behind the woodline for the length of this field. If somebody shoots from the road at a deer in this field, they could potentially kill me if I am walking out late in the afternoon, as I do often. Over the years we have found numerous deer with the heads cut off, carcasses dumped, trash dumped, and our chains cut off the gates. It has been an ongoing struggle.
So I was on my way home last night and my buddy called me asking me did I get him. I told him I wasn't hunting and was almost home. He said there was a black truck parked at the gate and somebody shot. So I hauled butt over there and it turned out to be two 17 year old boys that shot at a deer from the road. They supposedly stopped and shot and then pulled into the path entrance. They were in the field looking for it when we drove up and were scared to come back to the truck. They eventually did and I laid into them. I fussed at them for a while telling them how sorry, unethical, and dangerous it is. I also told them that they give all hunters a bad name and jeapordize my hunting rights by acting like idiots. I showed them how the path is right behind the field and if I was walking out that afternoon they could have killed me. I told them how much trouble we have had with people shooting deer and cutting their heads off and leaving them, dumping guts and carcasses on the path, cutting our chains off the gate. They were scared to death I was going to call the warden. They didn't have permission to hunt the field, shot from the road, and they were trespassing on our land by parking where they were. Turns out the guy that shot's mother is a cop. So she ended up coming out there and I talked to her for a good while and told her how many things they did that were illegal. She got the picture and so did they. Hopefully they won't do that again. I was 17 once and made plenty of mistakes, so they get a break this time. Hopefully they will get the word out about our place that we are okay guys but don't be poaching.

And then again the more I think about it I should have just called ole green jeans right off the bat and not said a word to them. Let them have to pay for their mistake. I swear it goes on non stop and if nobody ever gets in trouble then it will never change. The one driving was telling me how he has a lease in Jones County and has 3 stands up. I asked him then what in the world is he doing out trolling on roads on people's land he don't have permission to hunt. At least go to your own land if you gonna road hunt. :fingerhead:

I don't know, what would you have done? I was hoping that maybe they will get the word out being seniors in high school about our little area. Maybe that we are good guys, but don't be poaching and road hunting. I left it on good terms with them. I was just hoping it was one of the older guys that I know do that in the area.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: That moment when you catch a poacher

Postby apexhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 am

One thing to do is to register your land with NC Wildlife and make sure it is posted properly and put purple paint on fence/gate posts, bordering trees and sign posts. The purple marker signifies that not only is the land posted against tresspassing/hunting but is registered meaning a sheriff and/or game warden can approach, question and even ticket or detain anybody they see on the land that shouldn't be there.

We had problems for several years at my old hunting club with dog hunters running amuck, pulling down chained gates with trucks, poaching and shooting towards woods with our members hunting in them. We had everything posted but once we registered the land and purple marked all borders they got the message...at least on weekends or when they saw trucks at the clubhouse.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby britlab64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

Sorry to say it fellows BUT these are the times we live in !! Posted signs , Purple paint , Registered Property Only good to stop a honest man. I lease or am part of a lease of several different hunting properties . You can worry yourself to death and you may catch a few But you will always have a certain few that just do not care. Better yet what really tee s me off after all the expense of the signs ( before purple paint ) work posting and registering with WRC you catching tresspassers / poachers and calling same WRC that advised you to register only to be told you need to call a sheriff deputy . Like I said Posted signs are only for a Honest Man !!!!!!!!
britlab64
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am

apexhunter wrote:One thing to do is to register your land with NC Wildlife and make sure it is posted properly and put purple paint on fence/gate posts, bordering trees and sign posts. The purple marker signifies that not only is the land posted against tresspassing/hunting but is registered meaning a sheriff and/or game warden can approach, question and even ticket or detain anybody they see on the land that shouldn't be there.

We had problems for several years at my old hunting club with dog hunters running amuck, pulling down chained gates with trucks, poaching and shooting towards woods with our members hunting in them. We had everything posted but once we registered the land and purple marked all borders they got the message...at least on weekends or when they saw trucks at the clubhouse.

Oh it is clearly posted, locked gates, registered, the whole 9 yards. They parked right in the path in front of the marked gate! If I was in there and wanted to come out, I would not have been able to because they were blocking the entire road. And as far as registering it, that is only as good as the enforcers, which I am sad to say leave allot to be desired in my area. We report it when we find a carcass or severed head and the rest left there to rot. We have tried to pursuade them to put out the fake deer and they never have. Guess they have better things to do than to catch wildlife violaters that are endangering lives... :no:
Bloke
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:55 pm

To discharge a firearm from the side of the road or from a vehicle is a ticket straight to jail. No questions asked. You are a better man than I. 17 or not wrong is wrong. I know in the late 90's they did put out the fake deer. It's head moved and so did the tail. Well that was until Sam shot it. The put the deer on his property without telling him. He pulled up, went through the ditch, parked his truck, put his gun on the window and went to shooting. When you hit a target with a 300 WM and it don't move something is wrong. He found out when the world came down on him. They tried to get him for shooting from the public right away, from a vehicle, tresspassing and poaching. He was on his property, was out of the PRW, was out of his vehicle and he had his permission to be there. They did give him a bill for destruction of the WRC's property. I don't think he paid it.

Hate to hear about your issues. Call the WRC and talk with LT. Mickey Little. He has helped me out with a lot of problems dealing with the predator associations issues that we had. He is a real good guy to know.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 pm

I would've made sure I had a mask and gloves on and snuck in on them and just beat the living crap out of them. I would've done many many many things. But the very last thing I would ever is call a gw for any reason at all. Call it kids being kids, and I did some dumb things when I was 16 or 17, but never would I have shot anything from the road, especially not on someone's property. I would've put the fear of God in them, and they would've went back to momma and daddy all bruised up. To me, anyone above 13 is old enough to take a butt kicking for doing something that stupid! Even if you had called green jeans, with the mom being a cop, it would've turned into nothing. It all starts at home and these kids probably weren't beat enough when they were children.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 am

Puppypopper.....bwahahahaha hilarious. :yes: Can't believe they tried to give him a ticket for destruction of property when he did exactly what they intended for him to do.... Shoot the thing. And classic that he never paid the ticket

Mauler, you may be right but I didn't want to go to jail for beating a minor, especially with a mother who is KPD.

I talked to these guys for a good hour and for the better part of 50 minutes they had no idea if I was going to turn them in or not. I told them several times to go look for their deer or whatever it is that you do when you shoot at something from the road and I was done with them. They may hear from me, the game warden, or the police, or may hear nothing. They just wouldn't leave, they kept saying "we want to make it right". So I continued talking to them about ethics, and what hunters are supposed to be about. That they give everyone of us a bad name. That it ain't about killing, it is about what you did to get there. Half of these yahoos have no idea what hunting is about because they were never taught by someone who they look up to. Nobody taught them the right way to do things and how to appreciate it. Then again when half the county runs dogs, that is what they learn. To ride around in a truck and when you see a deer, jump out and shoot in unison. :no: They are impressionable youth, even though they are 17 kids mature later in life it seems. Or maybe they are just held to lower standards these days.... either way I think I left an impression on them and I feel good about it. Hopefully they will remember something I said.

Now I am waiting for his cop mom to pull me over for breathing and driving so she can give me a ticket for giving her little angel a hard time. :hammer:
Bloke
hunter

Postby G3duck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:49 am

Bloke.......I think you did the best thing.

I'd like to think I'd handle it the same way but I'm not sure emotions would over rule common sense.
G3duck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 am

I would have kicked it up a notch, took some phone pics of them, their truck with license plates and any landmarks proving that they were parked at that location at the date and time and pics of the dead deer. After wearing them out I would have told them that you would add their names and all information with pics into your files, notify everyone concerned (local neighbors, farmers, friends) to be on the lookout for their vehicle and if there is ever a next time the first person they will see is a SD or WEO. Oh, maybe tell them that they better register that deer...right now!
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting