Securing the blind

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Securing the blind

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am

I have decided to make our blinds more secure this year. i want to lock it up tight with a lock on the door and a locked top to keep people from crawling in. Its a high hunted area that backs up to public land and if i hunt 2 days a week, it gets hunted atleast 2 or 3 other days when i am not around. I live 2 1/2 hours away so being down there more isnt an option. Am i crazy to try and lock it up? I just want to deter anyone else from hunting it illegally, but at the same time i worry about vandalism or possibly getting my blind burned down. Any thoughts!!1
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: Securing the blind

Postby NCfowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 am

what county? Just wondering if its worth battling the locals and laws.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am

You'll keep an honest man honest by putting a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it busted off either.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am

trigger22 wrote:You'll keep an honest man honest by putting a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it busted off either.
I agree. I am also going to put a secured 2x12 across the middle of the blind length ways to secure it even further. Hoping ti works and my blind doesnt get burnt down. Its in Hyde county.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 am

What about building the floor of the blind where you can pull the chain to lock and the floor comes up then lock the lock. Seen these before.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:19 am

Blind already built. Just want to secure it.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby mwp1023 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

I dont hunt another mans blind. period.

However, it is public so don't be surprised if the lock is busted or the blind "struck" by lightning. You can't make the public water private (unless you are in Dare, Currituck, Pamlico, or Carteret county)
mwp1023
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 pm

If you build a blind in public water, it becomes public property. You had to expect that when you built it. My guess is if you attempt to secure it, the result will be, at best, destroyed security. Worst case: destroyed blind. Better to leave it be. You can't claim public water by building a structure on it.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Its on private land. Sorry i guess i should have made myself clear

KAhunter
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Where are the reading comprehension skills? He never said it was on public water....what he said was that it was in a high traffic area that backs up against public property. That tells me it is on private property.......
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Sprinkle a few kernals of corn in it. Count them out, say 6 kernals. Stick a few in the corners too. When you get to the blind, pick them up and put them in a pill bottle. I would hate to be sitting in a blind that has corn in it. :lol3: Or an empty box of lead shot shells. :lol:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Since it's on private property, secure away. If you have a bunch of asshat poachers using it, the end result will probably be the same. Despite my well known position on the 500 yard law in Pamlico and Carteret Counties, I place a lot of value on property rights...of land. I personally would never tresspass to use somebody's blind. Now, if the place is holding ducks, and I find it, and want to hunt it, I'll use a float blind in the public water.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 pm

You're gonna have to give me some GPS Coords so I can thoroughly assess the blind and it's "security."

In all honesty. A lock probably won't do a whole lot for you. If they are willing to blatantly trespass and then even hunt out of your blind, a lock won't hold them back for long.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:43 am

A lock may help to deter some people, but I think you should also put one or more of those lights that come on automatically at dark (some are solar powered, some use batteries) on/in the blind. This will make potential poachers think that someone is already hunting in the blind.

Worked for me....

-Brad
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby black_duck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 am

Is it posted?
black_duck
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:32 am

If it has a boat hide chain acroos that. If not put up no tresspassing and ask the game warden to check on it.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 am

Is this a joke?
You said blind is on a private property and I'm assuming the land is posted and still you think poachers will burn the blind or get in and hunt it?? What is this? Wild West? I would place a game cam somewhere on the trail or close to the blind and try to identify the poachers and report them to law enforcement.
Posts like this reminds me why NC is one of the worst states for hunting ducks. It's not worth the time and money spent.
Good Luck
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm

I wish it was a joke. They are only accessible by boat and I honestly believe they get hunted atleast 2 to 3 days a week not by us. Talked to a friend of a friend last year who said both blinds were hunted one day. We have never hunted both blinds. I locked the door and put a big fat 2x12 right down the middle of the blind also locked. if they want to hunt it they will have a difficult time at best. It has posted signs in the blind. Now it has posted signs around hte blind as well. We will see how this year goes.

KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting