waders help needed

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

waders help needed

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 pm

I need to get me a pair of waders. I'm looking at Columbia Widgeon 1600gr 5mm neoprene waders. Will 1600 gr 5mm be to hot for here in NC? Also anyone with any experience with Columbia waders?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Re: waders help needed

Postby Percy86 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 pm

I have always used Lacrosse with the exception of a canvas pair I use during warmer weather. Some guys hate lacrosse and some love them, I used the same pair for five years and finally upgraded late last season to the lacrosse swamp tuff series. I found them on sale for 25% off. I would recommend any waders you get to have "seam seal," I know the lacrosse I own have this, Mack's brand, and I'm sure a few others do. I have 1000 gram boots and wouldn't have neoprene under 5mm, but I guess it boils down to personal preference.

I have a Columbia widgeon wader jacket and love it, just not sure about their wader quality.
Percy86
hunter

waders help needed

Postby trigger22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:45 am

The quality of their waders leaves a lot to be desired. I would spend a little more money and go with a pair of Cabelas. The super mags come with 1600 insulation and are nearly indestructible. 1600 and 5 mm is too hot to use during early season, but not for later in the year. Once the temps drop, I'll wear my super mags along with a pair of wader pants and a pair of good socks. That's all I need for my bottom clothes and then throw on the jacket and am warm and toasty. I have a pair of cabelas breathable a for earlier in the year.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:02 am

Question I'm only 5'3" will any waders fit me?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 am

I wonder who makes waders? I know most of the companies don't make their own products. Usually there is some Chicom sweat shop that makes products and then puts the appropriate logo on them. I know that there are several decoys out there that all look like GHG brand. There should be some offbrand waders out there that are the same product just cheaper. When you buy from a popular retailer, the brand name alone raises the price 25% or more. I bought some off brand hip boots recently online and a buddy of mine bought some from a leading brand. They are identical. His cost $80. My cost $40.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby easye » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am

I have had all differnet brands. Currently have a pair of Macks PW and love them. 1600gr 5mm. Several differnt sizes to get good fit. Reg, tall and Stout. Like the fact that the stout legs are a little shorter to stop the bunching up. easy to move in. 1600 can get a little warm.
easye
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 am

I second the Mack's waders!! GREAT :hammer:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 am

Swampfoxforeman wrote:Question I'm only 5'3" will any waders fit me?

As said above pick a pair that comes in stout size. Regular size will probably be too long in the legs.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm

ultimate hunting waders. best ones i have found. mine last a few years each set
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:56 pm

the macks are good. they are pretty good with customer service too.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 am

i had the $100 columbia gander mtn. special a few years back. lasted me a single season. but if you don't know. Flex Seal is an ideal leak fixing machine. spray 2 or 3 thin layers onto the seams and your ready to roll.

i have the lacrosse swamp toughs and find them unbeatable.

macks are great with customer care. descent wader as well. :thumbsup:
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Einstein » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:06 am

I have Cabela's Super Mag 1600gr, 5mm and they are great in any weather. I never have worried about being either too hot or too cold.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Onwaterillbe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm

I have a pair of cabelas light mag 800 size 8. I wear a 8 1/2 size shoe and these fit nicely even with heavy socks. I bought a pair of breathable waders at the same time and like them better. I wore the light mags one time. I'll sell them for $100. I am in western nc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Onwaterillbe
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I picked me up a pair yesterday gander mountain duck unlimited edition 5 mm 1000 gr size 9. Little long in legs but not bad. Top part fits perfectly. 140 I think.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting