Central Piedmont Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Central Piedmont Hunting

Postby nscochrane1009 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 am

Hello guys,
Anybody had any good luck seeing ducks around the piedmont (harris/Jordan). I've been down to the game lands all around wake county and haven't seen any birds. I'm not asking for spots or where people are hunting, just if you've seen birds in your own honey holes or on big water while fishing. We are scouting harris and Jordan one more day before Nov. 9, so I am putting in the leg work.
nscochrane1009
hunter

Re: Central Piedmont Hunting

Postby FowlPlay27403 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Hahaha good luck getting information about that area!!! I wish I could help you out, I moved out of the triangle a few years ago but people around that area are notoriously tight lipped. I have a few spots on Jordan that I don't tell anybody about. But basically this time of year on Jordan and Harris you will only see local mallards and geese, and wood ducks. You wont start seeing big ducks on those lakes until much later in the season (ie late December and Jan). That is of course unless it starts freezing up North. But if I was you I would scout the surrounding swamps for wood ducks because you aren't going to see many birds on the main lake. Crowds will be heavy on opening day, I would advise getting out there real early. I haven't decided if I am gonna hunt one of my honey hole swamps in that area or if I am gonna go elsewhere in the state. Anyways, good luck, and hunt safe and smart.
"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit" - Aldo Leopold

Bird Count for 2014:
5 Mallards
2 Wood Ducks
2 Pintail
6 GWT
1 Gaddy
1 Spoonie
1 Canadian
FowlPlay27403
hunter

Re: Central Piedmont Hunting

Postby NCfowl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 pm