Early Wood Ducks

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Early Wood Ducks

Postby acannon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Still pretty new to the game but no, I am not a dingbatter. Found a decent wood duck hole last season late and only got to hunt it twice. I haven't had a chance to scout it this year because of deer fever. I was thinking I might hit it Saturday morning. I was wondering if any of you woody veterans could tell me if wood ducks are usually pretty solid this early or would it be better to wait? Also don't have any puddle decoys. Yall think a couple bluebill decoys will throw scare them or will they decoy to em?
acannon
hunter

Re: Early Wood Ducks

Postby MSparks909 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Go scout tomorrow if you have time. Only way to know for sure if they're there. Ducks have decoyed to painted milk jugs before. Just need to be on the "X" and you'll kill birds. But usually a lot of woodies around. That's what I'm planning on shooting this Saturday.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby acannon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. Last year they were landing in there pretty good. Must be something they like there. I think I'll just take a pair of blue bills just to give them a little more reason.
acannon
hunter

Postby jcz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 pm

I don't think I would use the bluebill decoys. Just get out there and be where you think they want to go. I have seen plenty of woodies around.
jcz
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:33 pm

dont use blue bill decoys, if they land there frequently it is a spot they like and will commit anyway. ducks know where they are going. sounds like you are on the X
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm

A couple of hen blue bills won't hurt. Leave the drakes at home.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby acannon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Gotcha. looks like I need to invest in painting a few of those deeks to look like woodies. I've got about 50 of them and I only used them all a couple times last year. I think I could spare a few. Super stoked about Sat.!
acannon
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm

From my experience if you find woodies in a spot this year pretty thick, you probably have a good spot forever. I have a place in Indiana where if there is a stout west wind, the woddies pile up in there. They did it for the 3 years I lived there and my buddy had hunted it 12 years straight, same conditions always resulted in a ton of birds. the hole was good for about 3 hunts a year.

I wouldn't use bluebill decoys at all. If you have a few wood duck decoys put them where you don't want them to land. My experience is wood ducks don't like to land with decoys. I don't really understand it. A teal mojo is good too the first day and they will land on it. I heard that from someone else on this forum as well.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby jcz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Mojos seem to work great at first light. Once the sun comes up it doesn't do as well.
jcz
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Mojos are a must have in a corn or bean field. They are duck magnets more so there than water. We put them behind us so they land right on us. Makes for easier shots when they are ten feet away about to land, not hardly ever a cripple or lost bird.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby E5B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:09 pm

I've had better luck without decoys than with. If that's where they want to land they are going to land there decoy or not. Unless, of course, you do like my 8 year old son did last week as a woodie is about to land: stands up and points "there he is" :no:
E5B
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting