Coastal Hunting Question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Coastal Hunting Question

Postby jph4387 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 am

Headed to the coast this weekend for a guided hunt. Just curious about the weather forecast. It's going to be cold all week and then be super warm next weekend. Not sure if that will be good or bad for bird numbers. Any input from those experienced in that area? Can't wait but just curious what to expect. The full moon probably won't be helping either.
"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Re: Coastal Hunting Question

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:16 am

"The coast" is a pretty big area
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:29 am

ncbufflehead wrote:"The coast" is a pretty big area

Sorry, just trying to be respectful of the others on here and trying to not post too many specifics. We'll be in a private impoundment near Mattamuskeet.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Since you will be hunting an impoundment, and most likely have paid a deposit, it really doesn't matter. Basically you go or you stay home.
By the way, why do you need a guide to hunt a flooded field? :huh:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Since you will be hunting an impoundment, and most likely have paid a deposit, it really doesn't matter. Basically you go or you stay home.

My apologies because I"m not trying to be a cyber scouter, ask for locations, or come on here expecting anyone to tell me anything. But for some reason, my post is being read inappropriately because I"m sensing some hostility. I am not asking whether or not to go this weekend. I will be there one way or another. I am excited because it is my first hunt of the year and just thought I might be able to chat on here and actually have a conversation about hunting.

You are correct, I am hunting an impoundment. To answer your question why we have a guide, the impoundment is owned by the guide service. I have only hunted in Hyde County once before at this same impoundment last year. We didn't have a very good hunt because it was late January and the owner/guide advised us to come back earlier in the season and we are going this weekend. I was afraid we might be too early with the warm weather we're having. I just wanted to hear from folks if you've had luck with the warm weather and what to expect. Just excited and trying to get pumped for the trip.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:01 pm

I am headed there myself this coming weekend. I don't think we need to do anything special. The best hope is that the bad weather ( which isn't turning out to be much of a storm after all) up the coast throws some birds our way.
Paul26
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Im headed there this weekend and hunting the first part of next week birds or no birds. The odds of having a good hunt are much better there than where I live so why not.
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Who are you hunting with?

jph4387 wrote:
Dingbatter 2 wrote:Since you will be hunting an impoundment, and most likely have paid a deposit, it really doesn't matter. Basically you go or you stay home.

My apologies because I"m not trying to be a cyber scouter, ask for locations, or come on here expecting anyone to tell me anything. But for some reason, my post is being read inappropriately because I"m sensing some hostility. I am not asking whether or not to go this weekend. I will be there one way or another. I am excited because it is my first hunt of the year and just thought I might be able to chat on here and actually have a conversation about hunting.

You are correct, I am hunting an impoundment. To answer your question why we have a guide, the impoundment is owned by the guide service. I have only hunted in Hyde County once before at this same impoundment last year. We didn't have a very good hunt because it was late January and the owner/guide advised us to come back earlier in the season and we are going this weekend. I was afraid we might be too early with the warm weather we're having. I just wanted to hear from folks if you've had luck with the warm weather and what to expect. Just excited and trying to get pumped for the trip.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

I have heard multiple reports that are good from Hyde. Good luck
NCfowl
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 am

NCfowl wrote:I have heard multiple reports that are good from Hyde. Good luck

Heard from them this morning that they had a good hunt last week so hopefully we'll have the same luck. If we get into the birds in the morning, I hope we can get out in the afternoon and chase a swan. We'll see.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby ducku » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 am

You want crappy weather and lots of wind.
ducku
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:04 am

Swans are here in numbers yet?
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 pm

if it is a guided hunt, I would think the guide would/should be able to answer all your questions up until and during the hunt.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 pm

ducking&diving wrote:if it is a guided hunt, I would think the guide would/should be able to answer all your questions up until and during the hunt.

That's right you are paying for it
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby dixiehokie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Swans really showed up with this front.. if you have a permit you will not have a problem finding them.
as for you hunt.. good luck! there are birds around.. but in general its better to have a good blow ( like today) to get the birds off the lake and using the impoundments..
I bet those that hunted today in the impoundments around the lake did well.
the weather may not be in your favor, but just like anything else just when we think we have these ducks figured out the do something completely different.
dixiehokie
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 am

dixiehokie wrote:Swans really showed up with this front.. if you have a permit you will not have a problem finding them.
as for you hunt.. good luck! there are birds around.. but in general its better to have a good blow ( like today) to get the birds off the lake and using the impoundments..
I bet those that hunted today in the impoundments around the lake did well.
the weather may not be in your favor, but just like anything else just when we think we have these ducks figured out the do something completely different.

Thanks for the input, we'll see how it goes. Either way, it's going to be fun trying!

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 am

Lots of swans flying already around Craven County. If they are already flying around here, they should be in good numbers in and around Hyde County
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:01 am

trigger22 wrote:Lots of swans flying already around Craven County. If they are already flying around here, they should be in good numbers in and around Hyde County

The guid said they're around. I'll let you know once I can see for myself.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 pm

We saw a good number of swans flying over Columbia last Saturday but high. Going down to Bodie to see if I can full my permit Saturday. Looks like to weather is not going to be the best, chance of rain and warm.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm

How did the hunt go?
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 am

EastBound&Down wrote:How did the hunt go?

We killed way over the limit - of mosquitos! Wake up at 3:00, no rain. Got up at 4:00 and its was raining. Lows were in the 50's and the high near 70. We got to the check-in station and looked over the log book to try and figure out the best blinds to pick. We got the one we wanted but the ducks did not cooperate; did see a few swans. Did not hear a lot of shooting that morning. I must admit, I love hunting down there but it did not work out this time.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 am

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for work. We had a good hunt Saturday. We had 7 hunters and everyone pretty much limited out on green heads. The guides said they got into the teal the day before but for some reason they didn't want to fly on Saturday. Went back out in the afternoon looking for a swan or some teal but didn't have any luck. The birds didn't seem to be flying. Had a great time and will be headed back in January for another hunt. The swans are starting to move in some but it's still kind of early.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby pg4 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:07 pm

A little late to answer your question, but just curious what outfitter you hunted with. I'm working on finding an NC coastal hunt this season with my dad and brother. Any suggestions?

thanks!
pg4
Newb

Postby trigger22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:32 pm

pg4 wrote:A little late to answer your question, but just curious what outfitter you hunted with. I'm working on finding an NC coastal hunt this season with my dad and brother. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Captain Gary Lefler would be a good choice if he has any openings http://www.captgarysdowneast.com/index.asp
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting