11-9 with Captain Garys downeast guide service

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

11-9 with Captain Garys downeast guide service

Postby saltnbattery » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 pm

After our opening day plans kinda fell apart, my buddy called captain Gary and fortunately for us, he had an opening. What a spectacular day of ducking for the Carolinas! We left Wilmington at 2am and headed towards Pamlico county. Met up with Gary at 4:45 and headed to his boat launch. Our expectations were tempered by the forecasted bluebird conditions, but none the less, we were pumped. We had the spread set and were in the blind by 5:50 which gave us about 15 minutes to sit with our hands tied as well over 100 birds buzzed and/or lit in the decoys. As soon as we were legal, it was on. We had 3 guns and ended up with 10 gw teal, 2 bw teal, 3 wigeon, 1 bluebill and 1 pintail(my buddy's first.) After the morning flight had slowed down, we went and grabbed lunch. After lunch we headed back to the landing and relaunched the boat with a layout boat in the bow. We headed out to the sound to deploy the layout boat and set out some strings of scoters. The action on the sea ducks was steady and we managed to get 9 scoters. This was my first experience in a layout boat and if you have never done it, I highly recommend you give it a try. It was a long day for us with the 6 hrs of driving but well worth it! Captain Gary is a great guide. He has has great blind locations and the experience to get the birds to do it right. If anyone is thinking about booking a guided hunt and has any questions, feel free to message me.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
saltnbattery
hunter

Re: 11-9 with Captain Garys downeast guide service

Postby jcz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Sounds like a great hunt. :thumbsup:
jcz
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:33 pm

He's a first class guide for sure, great guy to hang out with after the hunt also!
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby bigsprig » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 am

Ditto what above says, hunted with him for first time last week, outstanding shoot, gwt, bwt, gadwalls, widgeon. Cool guy to hunt with too.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 am

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for the positive and kind words. I want everyone to have a safe, successful, fun, and enjoyable hunt. I try hard, and will continue to do that for my clients. Positive word of mouth referrals are the best kind of marketing and I certainly appreciate it. PM me or call anytime if you want to put a hunt together. If I am not available, I will refer you to other local guides in the area, they will work just as hard I do, to get you on the birds. I will not book your hunt, take your money and then pass you off to another guide. That will be between you and him.
Good luck and continued success to you all...
Disclaimer: This is a 50% response to above comments and 50% spam. I hope that's not too much :thumbsup:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Looking forward to my trip in January Captiain Gary!
MichaelT
hunter

Postby Metalman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:11 pm

MichaelT, It should be good in January if these first few days are any indication.... :thumbsup:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Glad you had a great hunt !!!
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting