Future of Duck Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Future of Duck Hunting

Postby NCfowl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Sitting here thinking about how popular it has become and keeps growing as we speak. What do y'all think it's going to be like in 10-15 years? Land, decoy development, calls, commanders, public areas, etc.?
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Future of Duck Hunting

Postby jcz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

By reading all the magazine articles the number of hunters is going down. That's not how I see it though.

I'd give anything to go back 15 years ago. My hunting experience was so much better than it is today. IF it continues this way..... Hold on fellas it's going to be a bumpy ride.
jcz
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:49 pm

With the dynasty tv show it is attracting a new younger crowd. I feel that if the popularity keeps growing the number of hunters will increase and as long as the organizations keep improving the habitat the numbers of birds will increase along with lease prices. As open land is becoming developed there will probably by more wma's and waterfowl habitat that the gov will provide
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:53 pm

One problem I have seem to have is asking permission on private land and getting no's due to bad experiences for landowners and teenage poachers.. :no:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:19 pm

If it's really a fad thing spawned by TV, which is arguable, then the fad will pass and those who where just on the bad wagon will be dumping stuff on Ebay cheap. Those that really got the bug will stick with us, hopefully for the better of the sport.
berudd
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Beruud, I agree I think this team waterfowl hunting mentality is killing the sport. Look at Foiles and his "team". When I lived in the midwest, everyone was on a waterfowl team, and it was very cut throat. Mr. Greenjeans called on other hunters just to try to get them out of spots or to be a pain in the butt. it was crazy at the competition. I really like hunting with just one close buddy who has just as much to lose as I do when talking about spots. Even the price of decoys and accessories is going up. Land is hard to come by. Getting a duck is a success now adays. I miss going out and not worrying about someone showing up at my spot. I think ten years from now the weather may ruin all duck hunting in the south before more hunters do. i will say it seems the big push is always opening day and a weekend or two after and then things get better. Most waterfowl hunters aren't die hard cold weather hunters or cannot afford the gear necessary to hunt in cold weather. Either way, coyotes are starting to take some fowl hunters away...coyotes are everywhere and a year round animal to hunt, so for me it is either waterfowl, dove or coyote/fox/bobcat.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Crow hunting is pretty fun too, and no one does that. Of course I am not eating crow.....
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby black_duck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 pm

its very sad but in my spots I haven't run into the jr duck commanders yet. Guides from out of the area are killing us. If you hunt the same spot every day the whole season like these guides do, it runs all the birds out of the area and nothing uses there anymore. Thats what I believe is the reason for the decrease of ducks in our area compared to 15 years ago.
black_duck
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 am

When we go back to reduced seasons and limits, lots of people will drop it like they did in the 80s. Too much work for not enough ducks. Unfortunately, those days will be back at some point and I worry that we will never again see 6 ducks a person with 60 day seasons. We may be in the hayday of hunting for many of us in our lifetimes. With land use practices and enviromental issues etc the way they are, I dont know if it will ever be like this again. I hope i am wrong. As to overcrowding and lack of respect, I feel that less availabel land to hunt on top of many new hunters not having grown up with duck hunting and just going with what they see on TV and what their friends show them plus the younger generations belief of instant gratification, has led to the problems we are seeing now. People just dont realize that you cant set up too close, skybust, run your boat around running up ruddies, etc and succesfully hunt.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:06 am

As much as hunting has declined in the last 10 or so years, if I was getting into it in todays time, I don't know how I could justify sticking with it. I don't know how the new guys put up with it :huh:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby merg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am

KAhunter wrote:When we go back to reduced seasons and limits, lots of people will drop it like they did in the 80s. Too much work for not enough ducks. Unfortunately, those days will be back at some point and I worry that we will never again see 6 ducks a person with 60 day seasons. We may be in the hayday of hunting for many of us in our lifetimes. With land use practices and enviromental issues etc the way they are, I dont know if it will ever be like this again. I hope i am wrong. As to overcrowding and lack of respect, I feel that less availabel land to hunt on top of many new hunters not having grown up with duck hunting and just going with what they see on TV and what their friends show them plus the younger generations belief of instant gratification, has led to the problems we are seeing now. People just dont realize that you cant set up too close, skybust, run your boat around running up ruddies, etc and succesfully hunt.

Good post. I was huntin a creek Sat. and another group came in late but set up far enough away. It was a man and his two sons, one maybe 16 and one around 9. It was slow and they picked up and came past me headed in as I was pickin up. They get past me bout 75 yds and the kids stand up and (boat running and in gear) proceed to try to water swat 3 grebes. I get to the ramp and they are there -friendly, ask how I did. The man appears to be a business type or some such-expensively outfitted, clean cut, nice ride and boat. Kids are polite and clean cut. I ask how they did. "Oh we got one ruddy on the way in-I just wanted the kids to get a shot" as the youngest proudly holds up his grebe. I just shook my head and went to loadin my boat-as they pulled off they pitched the "ruddy" over in the reeds. This is what its come to....
merg
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

If you're just getting into how do you have that many good hunts, spots, gear, costs, etc. to make you want to keep going? There's no way you gain that much in such short years. Duck hunting just doesn't happen like that :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby merg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:05 am

NCfowl wrote:If you're just getting into how do you have that many good hunts, spots, gear, costs, etc. to make you want to keep going? There's no way you gain that much in such short years. Duck hunting just doesn't happen like that :huh:

They aren't really interested in hunting ducks. They just wanna be seen as 'duckhunters'. The actual hunting is the worst part of their day. They fill that time talkin on their cellphones. Ridin around in the boat at 9:00, eatin breakfast, hangin around the ramp comparing calls and drake fashion-this is what they enjoy.
merg
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 am

merg wrote:
NCfowl wrote:If you're just getting into how do you have that many good hunts, spots, gear, costs, etc. to make you want to keep going? There's no way you gain that much in such short years. Duck hunting just doesn't happen like that :huh:

They aren't really interested in hunting ducks. They just wanna be seen as 'duckhunters'. The actual hunting is the worst part of their day. They fill that time talkin on their cellphones. Ridin around in the boat at 9:00, eatin breakfast, hangin around the ramp comparing calls and drake fashion-this is what they enjoy.

Its sad, but I think you are spot on
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Well said merg, well said.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey its the cool thing to do and it looks so easy on TV.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 am

Two years of drought in the PPR and it will eliminate 75% of the so-called "duck hunters". :thumbsup: Just have to wait it out. For the guy and the kids shooting a grebe and tossing the Ruddy Duck, I would have taken a few pics, quietly called the GW, and offer to testify in court. Chances are that would have taken care of 3 "duck-hunters" right there. As for the kids, with a dad like that they most likely will grow up to be skybusters and renegades as well. Might as well nip them in the bud and take 'em out when you have the chance. :hammer: We don't need any more "hunters"...we need more Sportsmen.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am

I am an advocate for reduced seasons and bag limits. That will get rid of the posers and keep the ones that actually enjoy just being out hunting. Besides, 3 total ducks a day is a good day around here.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 pm

All good points made here. I'm certainly not worried about the sport "dying" as some folks were so concerned about a few years ago. Sadly the internet has had just as big of a negative effect on it as anything mentioned. And as someone mentioned above a couple of 30 day three bird seasons would go far in helping things out. a $100 duck stamp would also help. I seriously doubt that would stand in the way of any serious duck hunter. $100 isn't all that much nowadays I mean look at all the $35000 trucks parked at the ramp that have been lifted,jacked, lighted and custom painted. I know not everybody here drives one but you have seen them at the ramp for sure. I'm quite sure everybody reading this pisses away at least $100 on something throughout the year, dip, beer, weed, or whatever.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 pm

I wish I only pissed away $100 a year. I've probably spent a grand on gear already this season and just bought a new boat. I guarantee increasing costs for things like duck stamps, licenses, and permit hunts would cull out some lame ducks. All we can hope at this point is the "duck commanders" would wanna be buck commanders.
Percy86
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 am

The only good thing I see in the long term is real duck hunting is work unless you are hunting with a guide. Work is a word a lot of people are allergic to, and throw in some rough weather and if you learned all you know about duck hunting from a TV show I can't see how these people will last. It takes a die hard to work up a sweat putting out decoys, then freeze your ass off sitting in a cold blind all day and maybe not fire a shot and then get up and do it again the next day. I realize 2 grebes, a coot, and a seagull is a big day for some of these of these people. I just hope with time the work factor and lack of real success the fad will grow old. Duck Dynasty popularity will fade with time.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:I am an advocate for reduced seasons and bag limits. That will get rid of the posers and keep the ones that actually enjoy just being out hunting. Besides, 3 total ducks a day is a good day around here.

You may get what you wish for. :no: Its not an if but a when. And when we go to a 3 duck limit we may never see it back to where it is now. I will deal with the idiots and take the 6 ducks a day for 60 days. Lets just hope and pray we keep seeing ducks like we are right now.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting