dealing with other hunters

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

dealing with other hunters

Postby KAhunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 am

Seems there has been an increase recently in problems (and therefor more posts on the subject as well) with other hunters setting up too close, skybusting, non stop calling etc. I ask, is it wrong to set a guy up say 100 yards from your spread with a few decoys and a light or two to prevent people from setting up right on top of you. It just seems like the only way to keep people off may be to fake em out, then pick the guy up and the decoys up right before LST. Im not talking about 500 yards away to tie up a huge area im thinking within 100 yards or even less just to make sure someone doesnt set right up on you. We were talking about this the other day and couldnt decide how we felt on the matter.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: dealing with other hunters

Postby NCfowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 am

Works like a charm. :thumbsup:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 am

That works. If you have two guys, put them on each side. :thumbsup:
This is what is has come to on public hunting spots. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am

There is not a damm thing wrong with that, been doing for years to keep late arrivals, arse hats ,and just plain idiots away. Most new comers don't understand about birds swinging to your decoys, you need at least 100 yards for them to work in properly. That is why I think at least one-third of the hunter safety course should be on ethics, this doesn't mean they will adhere to this advise but at least someone told them without numerous four letter words.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 am

We had decoys out in two spots on Saturday to prevent someone from infringing on our hunting spot. Matter of fact one of the guys stayed overnight to make sure we were good to go. Do what you need to do....
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 am

I just don't understand why you even bother with all of this? Hunting is supposed to be fun, not full of aggravation and dealing with all of these issues. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that when it comes to the average duck hunter, a vast majority of their hunting revolves around Game Lands. That is simply nuts. :no:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:47 am

about 5 glow sticks and a midnight walk around your hole works like a charm :thumbsup:

if someone gets upset that you did this, maybe they'll beat you to your hole next time if they want it that bad. i enjoy getting dekes out after midnight and sitting in the boat and cooking up some breakfast and watch other hunters arrive in disbelief. part of the game. early bird gets the worm.i didn't spend countless hours finding a hole that birds want into just to arrive at 12am and watch as someone hits you in the face with a spotlight and pulls up 75 yards away at 5:30am.

i usually dont show up until around 4am on the weekdays, but on saturday this is what we are doing at 2am. below. :grooving:
Attachments
sleepin in boat..jpg
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 am

If we could just refrain from posting pics of guys spooned up in waders, that'd be great.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:I just don't understand why you even bother with all of this? Hunting is supposed to be fun, not full of aggravation and dealing with all of these issues. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that when it comes to the average duck hunter, a vast majority of their hunting revolves around Game Lands. That is simply nuts. :no:

For most hunters the only available public land to hunt is gamelands. I know throw is especially true in Pamlico county, where I frequent because of the "Safe 500 yard rule". True for Hyde county as well. I do my best to hunt during the week or on Fridays/Mondays when less people are at public gamelands. Usually save Saturday mornings for local woodie holes.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

TooTall wrote:If we could just refrain from posting pics of guys spooned up in waders, that'd be great.

we shot a limit by 8, how'd you do? :grooving:
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:38 pm

This is why I only hunt private land. I may only have three spots that I only hunt once a week but I'm not spending the night anywhere to hold a spot. I guess I'm not "hardcore" enough. Ok I know some folks live for that" spending the night in the boat thing" but I will pass.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Trust me if I had the opportunity to hunt private land more I would. As a college student that won't happen until I can afford to get in a lease on some private impoundments (none of my hunting buddies own private land to hunt). So until then, I just have to be more dedicated than the next guy hunting the same stretch of public land. Scouting extensively helps a lot with that and I've "discovered" several new areas that most don't frequent, but I'm still prepared to head out and camp in the boat when I have to. It's not too bad when you have a grill, hot food and good friends to pass the time quickly. And Pandora.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, public land can be fun and very gratifying when you get on the birds. And with a little effort, you can avoid most of the crowds (and thus idiots). However, private land can be found on a budget. If I (a broke college student myself) can find good private land, anyone can. It takes time, it takes work, and it takes persistence. Politeness, good deeds, honesty, and yes sometimes some money are going to be a requirement if you want to find long term private land hunting opportunities. I've got access to three private swamps that I try to hunt only a handful of times each year. I use them primarily for opening days, warm weather days, etc where the hunting on public land would be unproductive.

Oh and by the way, I got to my spot right at legal and had good shooting on Saturday (public land) until the sun came out and the wind died.
I have a feeling if that twisted pile of hot neoprene actually shot a limit, there would have been hero shots posted long before whatever that is made it to the internet. :lol3:
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

I too used to be one of the "hardcore" that would spend the night in the boat. I also "used" to have about 5 great areas that were wayyyyy off the beaten path that I could just about always go shoot a limit out of and nobody else knew about it or hunted it. Then, a few years ago I had a couple guys start following me around, always the same boat and they eventually caught on. Public duck hunting in central nc is a joke now. I'm not going to be at high rock at 5pm the evening before opening day just to have the spot I want. IDC what the situation. I'm done with all that. I'll go sit in my deer stand and enjoy my solitude and peace and quiet. I love going to the coast, especially during the week. It's amazing, we go to the coast a couple times per season and we never see anybody, and we don't always kill birds, but most of the time we do. Everyone down there is busy bear hunting, deer hunting, rabbit hunting, etc.... and that's where there majority of the birds are. Always blows my mind. But it's nice when you can get up at a decent time and not have to cut your lights off while running to your spot for fear of being seen by people that won't go scout for themselves, or spend the night in the pouring rain the night before opening day just to get crapped on by herrons, ate up by mosquitos, or woke up every 30 minutes by someone's spot light just to have some jack leg set up 200 yards away, blow a hail call at everything that moves, shoot crows, comrants sea gulls grebes etc. I don't think anybody loves it as much as I do but I'll pass on all that.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 am

Am currently writing a paper for one of my US History classes...read something interesting this morning that I figured I would share. Excerpt is from Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac, originally published in 1949. While we may think that the extreme lack of hunter ethics is a relatively recent phenomenon (due in large part to DD), it has been going on for a LONG time, unfortunately. The second paragraph hits on exactly what I'm talking about but the first gives some context.

Excerpt from "The Upshot" section of the book:
"...Then came the gadgeteer, otherwise known as the sporting-goods dealer. He has draped the American outdoorsman with an infinity of contraptions, all offered as aids to self-reliance, hardiwood, woodcraft, or marksmanship, but too often functioning as substitutes for them. Gadgets fill the pockets, they dangle from the neck and belt. The overflow fills the auto-trunk, and also the trailer. Each item of outdoor equipment grows lighter and often better, but the aggregate poundage becomes tonnage. The traffic in gadgets adds up to astronomical sums, which are soberly published as representing 'the economic value of wildlife.' But what of cultural values?

As an end-case consider the duck-hunter, sitting in a steel boat behind composition decoys. A "put-put" motor has brought him to the blind without exercise. Canned heat stands by to warm him in case of a chilling wind. He talks to the passing flocks on a factory caller, in what he hopes are seductive tones; home lessons from a phonograph record have taught him how. The decoys work, despite the caller; a flock circles in. It must be shot at before it circles twice, for the marsh bristles with other sportsmen, similarly accoutred, who might shoot first. He opens up at 70 yards, for his polychoke is set for infinity, and the advertisements have told him that Super-Z shells, and plenty of them, have long reach. The flock flares. A couple cripples sail off to die in the distance. Is this sportsman absorbing cultural values? Or is he just feeding minks? The next blind opens up at 75 yards; how else is a fellow to get some shooting? This is duck shooting, the current model. It is typical of all public grounds, and many clubs. Where is the go-light idea, the one-bullet tradition?"

Mr. Leopold wrote this from his home state of Wisconsin, but his description of duck hunters carries over almost to the word, over 60 years later.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 am

Pretty interesting post MSparks909. One thing is for certain in life and it applies to hunting and all other aspects as well. There will always be some folks who do things the right way even if it means putting in extra time, and some folks who will choose to half ass that same task, cut corners, and be lazy. In many situations the lack of effort on another's part will impact others. A lot of it boils down to the way folks were raised. Growing up if dad assigned me something to do, he didn't accept anything less than perfection in the end result, and it being done the correct way even if it was the hard way. Now that was subjective as it was perfection in his mind, but you get the point. There are some new hunters doing it right, just seems that most aren't.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 am

That is what Leopold was getting at, also that culture had changed from true appreciation of the hunt itself and of the game killed to the trophy mentality. This is VERY prevalent today (just browse around the post-hunt pics on FB) and I have been guilty of this mindset myself, however I am making a concious effort to switch my thought procees away from the trophy mentality and towards true appreciation of the land and the opportunities it gives us not only as hunters but as a society as well.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

TooTall wrote:Don't get me wrong, public land can be fun and very gratifying when you get on the birds. And with a little effort, you can avoid most of the crowds (and thus idiots). However, private land can be found on a budget. If I (a broke college student myself) can find good private land, anyone can. It takes time, it takes work, and it takes persistence. Politeness, good deeds, honesty, and yes sometimes some money are going to be a requirement if you want to find long term private land hunting opportunities. I've got access to three private swamps that I try to hunt only a handful of times each year. I use them primarily for opening days, warm weather days, etc where the hunting on public land would be unproductive.

Oh and by the way, I got to my spot right at legal and had good shooting on Saturday (public land) until the sun came out and the wind died.
I have a feeling if that twisted pile of hot neoprene actually shot a limit, there would have been hero shots posted long before whatever that is made it to the internet. :lol3:

there were hero shots in the appropriate thread. but heres another pic. just to ruffle your feathers.
Attachments
duck on my neck.jpg
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 am

Hey, nothing wrong with that! (aside from the face paint :tongue: )
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Sometimes I don't know which is worse, the newbies or God's gifts.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby TooTall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Galactic Ricky wrote:Sometimes I don't know which is worse, the newbies or God's gifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I feel sorry for anybody that has picked up NC duck hunting in the last 10 years. Believe it or not we used to have some decent hunting and respect between hunters.
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 pm

decoycarver0205 wrote:I feel sorry for anybody that has picked up NC duck hunting in the last 10 years. Believe it or not we used to have some decent hunting and respect between hunters.

I started duck hunting in NC in 2003 which was 10 years ago and we in NC have some exceptional hunting. Depends on whether or not you are willing to work for it.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:45 am

we in NC have some exceptional hunting. .[/quote]

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am

Scout more and find out of the way places. We limited in 30 minutes this morning and only heard a few shots in the distance.
MSparks909
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting