Goose CreeK Impoundemnt Help

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Goose CreeK Impoundemnt Help

Postby yankeehunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm

My Buddy and I drew a permit hunt for the Hunter's Creek Impoundment at Goose Creel in late December. Not having ever hunted it I decided to take a look at it via Google Earth. After looking at the Gamelands map of the area the only thing I see is a parking area but no boat access to the impoundment. Is this a walk in only area? It looks like they have cut a channel around the majority of it and looks like a small boat would be needed to get into the interior but I couldn't see a place that would allow you do so. If anyone here has ever hunted this impoundment give me your $.02 and how you hunted it. Not that I mind physical activity, I just can't see lugging a boat if it isn't needed... Yes, we plan on making a trip prior to the actual hunt date to get our barings...
yankeehunter
hunter

Re: Goose CreeK Impoundemnt Help

Postby Percy86 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Go scout/"get bearings" and you can answer your own post. There is parking right off of 33, there is also a creek that runs between spring creek and hunting creek impoundments, but there are dikes around the impoundment. The public ramp there is spring creek (Campbell's creek).

Have you ever hunted goose creek?
Last edited by Percy86 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Percy86
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:17 pm

You will need a mode of transport across the canal. You will have to carry it probably 200 yrds. Nothing crazy.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 am

yea like others stated, once you get up there for your scouting trip your questions will answer themselves. we used a phowler mud boat and strapped our kayaks on the front and parked outside the impoundment and toated everything in by kayak so we didnt have to walk. nothing motorized is allowed inside the impoundment. have fun... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :no:
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Drop Zone » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm

How did you get drawn for an impoundment that you did not apply for??? This question assumes you have enough sense to not put in for a draw you obviously know nothing about... :no:
Drop Zone
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Drop zone, you can't assume anything.

I'm just south of you in Archdale.
Percy86
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 am

So you just randomly decided to hunt there not knowing how you would even get there among many other things? Its only accesible by private helicopter. Good luck.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Metalman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
They might have a private helicopter. :grooving:
This stuff cracks me up.....
:beer:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby yankeehunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Actually, I didn't put in for the permit so I didn't have any input as far as impoundments. My buddy did the leg work and invited me to join him. No, I have never hunted Goose Creek why else would I ask the question. The only state impoundments I have hunted are Holly Shelter and Currituck. My buddy thinks that scouting the day before will be sufficient but we'll have plenty to do like drive which will eat up more than half of our day.. I'm more in favor of spending a whole day of scouting just to get a better idea of the layout of the land and what equip we will need. I've already talked to a few folks who have hunted Goose Creek but haven't hunted this impoundment... Thanks to those who who actually had some decent advice and info... :thumbsup:
yankeehunter
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 pm

The problem with scouting the day before to learn how to get in and navigate is that it's illegal to do anything but view from the designated scouting area...which, in the case of Hunting Creek (not Hunter's Creek), is the bridge...period. No wandering the dikes. No testing the ditches to see where they are shallowest.

That kind of scouting is best done well before the season...in fact, before you enter the lottery. To do otherwise is an insult to everybody who has taken the time to do it right.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:13 am

Half a day drive just to get there? I would just skip the permit hunt and get a 2 or 3 day guide. Better chance of killing ducks with less work.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Drop Zone » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:01 pm

yankeehunter wrote:Actually, I didn't put in for the permit so I didn't have any input as far as impoundments. My buddy did the leg work and invited me to join him. No, I have never hunted Goose Creek why else would I ask the question. The only state impoundments I have hunted are Holly Shelter and Currituck. My buddy thinks that scouting the day before will be sufficient but we'll have plenty to do like drive which will eat up more than half of our day.. I'm more in favor of spending a whole day of scouting justt a better idea of the layout of the land and what equip we will need. I've already talked to a few folks who have hunted Goose Creek but haven't hunted this impoundment... Thanks to those who who actually had some decent advice and info... :thumbsup:

If your buddy had done the "leg work" then this thread would not exist.....
Drop Zone
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Drop Zone wrote:.
yankeehunter wrote:Actually, I didn't put in for the permit so I didn't have any input as far as impoundments. My buddy did the leg work and invited me to join him. No, I have never hunted Goose Creek why else would I ask the question. The only state impoundments I have hunted are Holly Shelter and Currituck. My buddy thinks that scouting the day before will be sufficient but we'll have plenty to do like drive which will eat up more than half of our day.. I'm more in favor of spending a whole day of scouting justt a better idea of the layout of the land and what equip we will need. I've already talked to a few folks who have hunted Goose Creek but haven't hunted this impoundment... Thanks to those who who actually had some decent advice and info... :thumbsup:

If your buddy had done the "leg work" then this thread would not exist.....

Oh but you dont understand what leg work means these days. That is downloading google earth, asking on forums, and clicking as many boxes in the online permit hunt sign up as possible.
Sorry yankkee but if driving somewhere eats up more than half of your day, that may be a little too far to go.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby snw » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:43 am

I have a question along the same lines... While you're there hunting, are you allowed to leave your blind and shoot? Or are you restricted to just your blind?
snw
Newb

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:06 am

I believe you're restricted to your blind, unless you're dispatching a cripple.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:15 am

there are no blinds in Hunting Creek Impoundment...only what you would personally "build" or choose to hide in the morning of the hunt.

no rules that say hunting only from the "blind"...plus there's only 1 party in HC Imp, so you could paddle or walk all over it if you got the urge and you won't p!ss off anyone.

it's slim picking in HC though...good luck
Giant Killer
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting