Could they hack it...

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Could they hack it...

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

I have always wondered if these "greenhead only" timber hunters from arkansas could shoot with us boys from NC. I have hunted timber and it isnt exactly tough shooting. I have always wanted to get a guy who has hunted timber his whole life (mostly so we will take me timber hunting haha) and see how he does on the coast open water hunting when its blowin NW 25 and rainy and some blackheads come barreling through at mach 3 or some teal buzz in from the side then explode up when you shoot. Seems like it would be fun too see how well they do.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: Could they hack it...

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Some could, some couldn't. Just like some here couldn't hack it in the timber. I'd like to see them try to shoot a woodie through gaps in the trees when it is going mach 3 though.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Hunted timber before and I save a lot more shells doing that then open water.. :yes:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Good question. Now go over to one of those states and post it up. I can't hit crap either way. :lol3:
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm

You're giving too much credit to blackheads...they're not the most difficult duck to kill.
Willie
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Willie wrote:You're giving too much credit to blackheads...they're not the most difficult duck to kill.

^this

Woodies through the timber is probably some of the toughest shooting around.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:40 pm

What I always find funny is how life long puddle pirates look down on diver hunting.

It's simple: you love duck hunting, you shoot the type of ducks in your area. I prefer diver hunting as I like the wide open marine-aspect of open water blinds and watching clouds of birds moving up a river. Even on the days you get skunked you see a great show (most times,anyway). I've tried swamp hunting and sitting next to a small pond waiting for something to cover over a nearby treeline....just doesn't get the blood pumping.

I shot plenty of green heads in peanut fields in Oklahoma. It was every bit as easy as diver hunting. Easier in my view, actually: they circle, vice screaming in. And when they lift off I think you have 2-3 seconds when they are going vertical that aren't there with divers.

And I absolutely don't buy that puddlers are vastly superior to eat.......probably because I am a lousy cook.

And if I were in Oklahoma again, I would be hunting green heads....
Paul26
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:48 pm

KAhunter wrote: Seems like it would be fun too see how well they do.

I wouldn't be able to see them because I'd be shootin too. :biggrin:
jcz
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:43 am

They are all easy if you shoot them over the decoys. :biggrin:
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:39 am

Bloke wrote:They are all easy if you shoot them over the decoys. :biggrin:

Well, yeah. That's half the point of using them. :wink:
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Shot mallards last year in the timber. Booooring! They just flutter down and you shoot them in the face. We had a 10 year old kid who was the grandson of the guide and he shot his limit too. I noticed that all of the guys that hunted out there were real fat. I guess standing around all day eating candy and honey-buns will do that to you. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 am

I've done some timber hunting in Arkansas. It's certainly a different hunt but you still have to scout em. Woodies scream through timber in Arkansas too, btw.

When I moved to nc, I had been a puddle duck and freshwater fishing guy all my life. It took me a few hunts and some reading to figure out I wasn't home anymore but the divers readily decoyed to my mallard blocks so I shot em like I knew how. I think the question is answered like so much other hunting: they'd figure it out. And they'd out-call all the kazoo players around here.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby BeartoothDucker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:43 am

I thought I was a pretty good shot after growing up hunting in timber. I realized after moving to the North Carolina coast that shooting can be more difficult. I adapted. Most hunters would, but the OP is correct Timber hunting isn't about shooting it is about calling, scouting and fooling ducks into coming in close.
BeartoothDucker
Newb

Postby Capt.Ray » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Don't care how I shoot them,it's the proudest moment of their lives. Lol
Capt.Ray
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting