Should have stayed home

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Should have stayed home

Postby acannon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 am

Seriously....should have stayed home
acannon
hunter

Re: Should have stayed home

Postby Duraco » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:22 am

Things ain't what they use to be for sure.
Duraco
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:28 pm

acannon wrote:Seriously....should have stayed home

Alright
What happened?
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I had a terrible morning in VA too. It happens.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Yup. I got skunked as well. I figured some néw birds would show up today in front of the front.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Got to the spot too late, decoys were tangled, jerk rig was tangled, mud everywhere, was too hot for waders, goose decoys kept falling over, and I finally was able to get in the blind. I was thinking it was over and standing on the bank and here comes 3 Black Ducks back flapping at 15 yards with me standing on the bank. Then, while driving away, all the decoys fall off the ATV :no: :no: :help: :help:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Same here. Ran in to an @$$hat that's on here. He set up 30 min berfore shooting time 50 yards from me inline with me decoys and his group not going to drop names on who it was but it was a total **** move and you knew where we were esp since we were the only other group out there
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I got skunked today as well but was covered up in birds at first light, I just got too excited and my shooting went to crap. Had to deal with knee deep muck, a stuck boat, and sweating my nads off. But it was the most birds I've seen all year and if I could hunt it again tomorrow id do it all again!
MichaelT
hunter

Postby jcz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:Same here. Ran in to an @$$hat that's on here. He set up 30 min berfore shooting time 50 yards from me inline with me decoys and his group not going to drop names on who it was but it was a total **** move and you knew where we were esp since we were the only other group out there

My bad.......

J/K, it wasn't me. MY daughter wanted to go deer hunting today. So we did. Yeah, we should have stayed home too. Only deer we saw was on the way home.
jcz
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:Same here. Ran in to an @$$hat that's on here. He set up 30 min berfore shooting time 50 yards from me inline with me decoys and his group not going to drop names on who it was but it was a total **** move and you knew where we were esp since we were the only other group out there

Thanks for putting the decoys out for us
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Law of averages, fellas. Save this thread for posterity. Then read it in Dec and Jan when we are slaying them, and you will laugh your tail off. My opinion: these stories on this thread are classic and typical of what happens to us all once or twice a season.

On opening day I brought a 12 slot decoy bag of 12 bbill dekes on a longline (so I thought). At 0515, standing in waist deep water in Catfish Lake, I pull out the first decoy. No line. Despite all the promises to myself all Spring and Summer (I will get the decoys out and check them all out, untangle, etc.,) to get ready, I never did. So there I was in the crawlspace the night before, grabbing my dekes for the first time. I grabbed the wrong bag, didn't check.

Then we didn't shoot anything.

Then, after we had pulled the boat out of the water and were traveling home, I realized I left the lineless bag of useless decoys on a tree branch across the lake. back to the ramp...cross the lake...get the bag....

These are the things that don"t make the TV shows but happen to all real duckhunters if you do it long enough.

SLEEPLESS IN STELLA
Paul26
hunter

Postby acannon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:16 am

No big story of tragedy. Just an out around crap day. Brought a new guy and he got wet. Saw about 3 ducks all morning. Wish I had stayed in bed
acannon
hunter

Postby black_duck » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 am

Got skunked also, first time all year. You can't kill ducks sitting at home though. Had fun just being out there.
black_duck
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 am

Hate to see that yesterday was that bad for so many people on here! This week should be good weather-wise.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby drakemed323 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Sorry some of you had a bad day. I live in central nc and those days are quite frequent for us. However yesterday was pretty good. 5 man limit of woodies by 7 am. 12 drakes and 3 hens. My buddies 11 year old killed a banded hen. best day of the season for us. Cant wait till some big ducks show up. we have hunted 5 days this year and killed 23 wood ducks. Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and rest of second split.
drakemed323
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Had a great hunt with a buddy of mine. Limited it out by 0930. There are plenty of ducks out there. You just have to know where to go. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Had a great hunt with a buddy of mine. Limited it out by 0930. There are plenty of ducks out there. You just have to know where to go. :thumbsup:

Yup! We were limited by 7:30 as well. 4 man limit. Going again in the morning!
MSparks909
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Dingbatter, you say that like none of us have shot limits before. :huh: :beer: I was hunting a specific spot to shoot a black duck. Wish they would have showed up but where they are roosting, was way down wind. I'm guessing they didn't feel like flying up wind to feed. So they went elsewhere.

Congrats on shooting limits to those that did. I hope your shooting continues to stay plentiful.
Unfortunately I am moving to South Carolina December 5th. I will be back around sporadically for a hunt here and there. But will mostly hunt Florida. Maybe ill get lucky and stumble across a hole in sc but am not expecting to successfully hunt there until next season.

Anybody have a swan permit? If so pm me
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Steal you will be happy hunting Florida it blows NC away as far numbers and variety. Grew up there and miss it horribly. There are many places that are open where you need no permit and there are birds.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 am

stealfeathers wrote:Dingbatter, you say that like none of us have shot limits before. :huh: :beer: I was hunting a specific spot to shoot a black duck. Wish they would have showed up but where they are roosting, was way down wind. I'm guessing they didn't feel like flying up wind to feed. So they went elsewhere.

Congrats on shooting limits to those that did. I hope your shooting continues to stay plentiful.
Unfortunately I am moving to South Carolina December 5th. I will be back around sporadically for a hunt here and there. But will mostly hunt Florida. Maybe ill get lucky and stumble across a hole in sc but am not expecting to successfully hunt there until next season.

Anybody have a swan permit? If so pm me

Spending the day drying to kill a single black duck, especially in the coastal marshes, is the big game version of duck hunting. Hardcore! My hats' off to you. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:55 am

We had a great day too. Had a 5 man limit of coots, ducks and geese by 6:35am est :thumbsup: then took them to the truck, went back and shot 2 more limits, btw, is that legal? I have the "If it feels right do it" mentality :grooving:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby jcz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 am

DuckMauler wrote:We had a great day too. Had a 5 man limit of coots, ducks and geese by 6:35am est :thumbsup: then took them to the truck, went back and shot 2 more limits, btw, is that legal? I have the "If it feels right do it" mentality :grooving:

Why waste time carrying them back to the truck. Just mud stomp em and keep shootin.
jcz
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 am

No i don't believe that is legal. Just because the possession limit is twice what you can shoot at one time doesn't mean you drop off and go shoot some more. If it was a morning hunt then an afternoon hunt that is legal from what I have been told.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:44 am

sneak boat wrote:If it was a morning hunt then an afternoon hunt that is legal from what I have been told.

You have been told wrong. It is called a DAILY limit for a reason
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 am

Sneak, thanks for the input. I wa born and raised in merrit island. And yes Floridas hunting is superior in my eyes. Solely because like you said there's an ample amount of birds in public places.

Ding batter, as for the black duck. I have an old friend who is older, his old hunting buddy passed away. He had two hunting black duck decoys made by Jim Higgins. I was givin the decoys in quest to shoot a black duck over them. This morning i set foot back into the marsh, and was successfull. Lets see if I can post a pic without it cutting off half the picture!!

stealfeathers
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting