Should have stayed home

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Should have stayed home

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 am

Yup I knew that would happen. The bird to the right of the black is a hen mallard.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am

The decoys I was talking about on previous page (1)

stealfeathers
hunter

Postby snc1100 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am

Those deeks are beautiful. Congrats on the black. Setting out with a goal before a hunt and achieving it is always a good feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snc1100
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I should have stayed home today...what a rough morning. Didn't even fire the guns after being swamped by waves, having the GPS die on the way out causing us to get all sorts of turned around in the sound costing some major time, dealing with salt spray and 25 degree temps after my gloves flew overboard, setting up dekes 30 minutes before legal, not being able to put out a full spread and in the wrong spot, finding out the weatherman was WAY off with his wind prediction, getting set up only to realize I left my choke tubes in my gun case 200 yards away in the boat right at shooting light, having decoys float away because of the waves, etc. Was totally a "Monday" kind of morning. Packed up at 7:30 and went to Bojangles to salvage the morning.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Snc, thank you it wa very rewarding expecially after Saturday not firing a shot.

Sparks, sounds like to me you should have been hunting a cove or creek out of the wind!!!!! Sorry to hear about the hard time. My first time setting longlines in deep water over the side of the boat by myself sounds about as agonizing as yours.

When deep water diver hunting, If by myself I started rigging longlines on the shore, them tying them to the back of the boat and pulling them where I want. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of that, but it helps me out. Just make sure you drop the anchor befor the boat stops moving!!!
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby acannon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 pm

That's a cormorant! Just kiddin
acannon
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Good job Steal. That Black is beautiful
Paul26
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Steal there's not whole alot places that can beat L-pond or some of the Shilos when they are on, not to mention Bio-lab, catfish, or peacocks. I know the Titusville area all to well. Trigger I guess the game warden that told me this was just full of s#*t and didn't know his job.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Sneak, that's neat you hunted the same areas I grew up hunting, and still hunt when I can. If you ever get an itch to go down let me know. If I can't make it my family would be happy to have you hunt. Not saying you don't know where your going but they are continuously scouting. I will be hunting down there all December. Are you familiar with the St. John's??

What's yals input on a possible mount on the black? Honestly. I examined it closely, it's not a first year bird, it's a pure black judging by the orange feet an green bill (hen). The bird is wet in the pic, so it looks a little Raggy. It my first black so it's hard for me to judge it's quality

Sneak, btw they are hammering teal, whistlers , mottled, and wigeon right now.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

I think black ducks make the best dead mounts Image
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Steal, grew up in Jacksonville on the Ortega river. By the St.Johns do you mean Puzzle lake? Hunted Puzzle and surrounding areas many times but as you know it changes every year depending on rain and water levels. Guana was my spot in mid 80's to MId 90's just because it was close and held good birds during that time period, one day a buddy and myself shot 9 different species in there when there was a 5 bird limit( only divers were one ringer and a Canvas back). I used to go back to Fla every year for a least a week, but now I have a 4 year old which makes it tuff. Might try to get back down this year not sure yet. Hope you bust them up, friends having been giving me good reports so far this year but what else is new.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Trigger I was considering that mount. Good lookin bird.

Sneak, I am familiar with poinsett lake, lone cabbage, halfway. I hunted jacksonville area on time when I was 13 or so and went to some slough with a big pond on it off a river. We shot 4 man limit on ringnecks and teal. I'd have to ask my dad where it was. We usually hunt the St. John's during the first split, after st johns gets shot up good the birds push to salt marshes so we hunt them in December, then January we hunt our private ponds and swamps. But mainly the refuge!!
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Glad to hear the positive remarks about the black duck...great to hear you went out and your plan came together.

For the rest of y'all girls bitching about staying at home, be thankful you got to go at all. I couldn't make it out, but would have loved to have gone, just to waste gas if nothing else. The f$*%ed up decoys, choke tubes, etc. are your own fault for not prepping. If you're worried about sea spray...get a bigger boat. Since it's the week of Thanksgiving, be happy you have a boat, gun, health, etc. to go.
Percy86
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Trigger I was considering that mount. Good lookin bird.
!!

It is my favorite pose for a mount for a black duck. I would also like to have a blackhead pair mounted that way. I can't take credit for the pic though, I pulled it off of google for a visual with my post.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Why waste time carrying them back to the truck. Just mud stomp em and keep shootin.

Because I wanted my coots mounted :wink:

No i don't believe that is legal. Just because the possession limit is twice what you can shoot at one time doesn't mean you drop off and go shoot some more. If it was a morning hunt then an afternoon hunt that is legal from what I have been told.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! We did that too :thumbsup: :fingerhead:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 am

Duckmauler, I think they either just called you an idiot, or they are just not to bright themselves. :lol:

Good thing they cleared that up because I was under the impression I was aloud to shoot my limit of puddlers, then go shoot a limit of divers. Can somebody clear that up for me please.

Is a merganser a real duck?? :huh:
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 am

Duckmauler, I think they either just called you an idiot, or they are just not to bright themselves.

Good thing they cleared that up because I was under the impression I was aloud to shoot my limit of puddlers, then go shoot a limit of divers. Can somebody clear that up for me please.

Is a merganser a real duck??

I think they're in the cormerant family. And yes, cormerants and mergansers are REAL ducks. Very tasty I might add. You can shoot 5 of them all day long. ANd I didn't know you could shoot your puddlers and then go back out for your divers. I will definitely be doing that from now on :thumbsup: How come coot limit is 15? I thought they were real ducks too? The NCWRC really doesn't know what's going on. :fingerhead:
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:20 am

And upon further research.....I was wrong. Cormerants are not in the duck family. I watched duck dynasty and Ol silas robertson confirmed that they are in the goose family. But, the limit is still 5 :oops:
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 am

And since the possession limit is 3 times the daily limit you can go out in the morning and shoot a limit, then go out at lunch for another limit and then go back out again in the afternoon for your third limit.
trigger22
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 am

:yes: That's the way we do it at High Rock. Never leave until our 3rd limit of the day has been harvested. Sometimes it takes us until 45 minutes past lst, but we get it done!
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:49 am

The reason the coot limit is 15 is because scientist want to find out more about their migration pattern. With that being said they band 800,000 coots on each fly away a year. So if you shoot 15 coots they figure one is liable to be banded. Regardless if they are real ducks or not. So shoot them while you can because I'm sure within a couple years they will be part of the duck limit.

Si was partially correct about the commerant. He forgot to add its only legal to shoot them from a moving vessel, and you must place them in a visible location in the boat while returning to the boat ramp. This way the biologists can see how many commerants were harvested.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 pm

The reason the coot limit is 15 is because scientist want to find out more about their migration pattern. With that being said they band 800,000 coots on each fly away a year. So if you shoot 15 coots they figure one is liable to be banded. Regardless if they are real ducks or not. So shoot them while you can because I'm sure within a couple years they will be part of the duck limit.

Si was partially correct about the commerant. He forgot to add its only legal to shoot them from a moving vessel, and you must place them in a visible location in the boat while returning to the boat ramp. This way the biologists can see how many commerants were harvested.

I've probably killed around 800,000 coots in my lifetime and ironically enough, not one of them have been banded.....BUT of those 800,000 I would say that at least 75% of them were shot with the motor all the way trimmed up and wide open :thumbsup:
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 am

stealfeathers wrote:The reason the coot limit is 15 is because scientist want to find out more about their migration pattern. With that being said they band 800,000 coots on each fly away a year. So if you shoot 15 coots they figure one is liable to be banded. Regardless if they are real ducks or not. So shoot them while you can because I'm sure within a couple years they will be part of the duck limit.

Coots don't migrate. They bury under the mud and come out in late October. Similar to locusts...
Willie
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:25 am

Interesting about the burying themselves. Could this be why they taste like a locust/mud?
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 am

stealfeathers wrote:Interesting about the burying themselves. Could this be why they taste like a locust/mud?

I believe so, but Mauler has a secret recipe to make them taste good.
Willie
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting