Net Rig Questions

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Net Rig Questions

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:19 am

I am thinking about making one of these but have a few questions first. I hunt in the central part of state more often than not and just recently got a layout boat. A lot of my hunting is done in deeper water(20+ ft). Is it possible to use a net easily in waters this deep? Anyone else on here ever done this? Next question, I think I want to do 2 separate 15'x15' nets. How many decoys would those that are experienced put on each net? Also, does anyone in the piedmont know where to get a net of this size that will be durable enough to work? I've seen where there are net shops on the coast but haven't been able to find any here. I've looked on ebay and all kinds of other website but don't want to invest in a net that may not be durable. I've researched every thread on this website and have done my homework as much as possible. So I'm not trying to ask the same exact questions as everyone else before. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Re: Net Rig Questions

Postby trigger22 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 am

Your best bet is to call Harris net shop in Atlantic and have them build you a decoy net. With a 15x15 I would go with about 50 decoys. They are just as easy to deploy in deep water as they are in shallow because there's no need to get out of the boat. The very first time you put the net out of the boat will be a little difficult but after that won't be hard at all. You will always want to start putting out from the upwind side of your net. Use danforth anchors with a little chain toss out both up wind anchors. Then using the wind and a little motor take out the rest of the decoys and your other two anchors. For the down wind side you can use heavy mushroom anchors. Stretch out the corners and pull it all tight and your ready to go. When you are ready to pick up just start from the down wind side. One thing to remember is once you have them in the boat and have deployed it for the the first time, you have to keep it in the boat. If for some reason you have to take it out of the boat I would advise you to go to the lake and put it out on the water and pickup again before hunting. For attaching the decoys to the net use zip ties and attach both ends of the keel. Also make sure there aren't any rough edges to get caught in the net. One last tip is to make sure you have a long decoy pole to assists with flipping over any tangles as there will be a few. It takes a little getting used to but is well worth it. I wish we still had ours or I would demonstrate for you. As soon as I have enough foam blackhead decoys I will have another one.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:53 am

trigger22 wrote:Your best bet is to call Harris net shop in Atlantic and have them build you a decoy net. With a 15x15 I would go with about 50 decoys. They are just as easy to deploy in deep water as they are in shallow because there's no need to get out of the boat. The very first time you put the net out of the boat will be a little difficult but after that won't be hard at all. You will always want to start putting out from the upwind side of your net. Use danforth anchors with a little chain toss out both up wind anchors. Then using the wind and a little motor take out the rest of the decoys and your other two anchors. For the down wind side you can use heavy mushroom anchors. Stretch out the corners and pull it all tight and your ready to go. When you are ready to pick up just start from the down wind side. One thing to remember is once you have them in the boat and have deployed it for the the first time, you have to keep it in the boat. If for some reason you have to take it out of the boat I would advise you to go to the lake and put it out on the water and pickup again before hunting. For attaching the decoys to the net use zip ties and attach both ends of the keel. Also make sure there aren't any rough edges to get caught in the net. One last tip is to make sure you have a long decoy pole to assists with flipping over any tangles as there will be a few. It takes a little getting used to but is well worth it. I wish we still had ours or I would demonstrate for you. As soon as I have enough foam blackhead decoys I will have another one.

Exactly what he said. I'll bring mine out for you one day, Kev.
Willie
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 pm

x3 especially on the using Danforth anchors stretching it tight across wind. The anchor lines should always angle off the corners or to the side, never straight upwind or downwind. Straight upwind and it will bunch up in the middle.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Good seeing you tonight duck mauler. I agree with all the above. Keep decoys approx. 2' apart and you should be good.

I'm working on getting one now and have found a mesh net used for keeping leaves out of pools on eBay...not sure if this would would work, but it is a quarter of the cost of commercial fishing nets and actually twice the size. Does anyone have any experience with something other than commercial fishing nets?
Percy86
hunter

Postby fowlsensations » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 am

Just curious, how well do these work when hunting over a dog
fowlsensations
hunter

Postby Capt.Ray » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Decoys on a net, imagine that.
Capt.Ray
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Capt.Ray wrote:Decoys on a net, imagine that.

Learned from the best. Tell Trey that we need some pics.
Willie
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the input fellas. It may not be this season but I will have one next season. And will post pictures when it's done. Thanks Percy, good seeing you too! And Willie I didn't know you had one? You will have to drag it out for me one day in the 3rd split would love to see it. And trigger :thumbsup: great hunting with you! Can't wait to do it again!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby merg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 am

fowlsensations wrote:Just curious, how well do these work when hunting over a dog

Dogs walk/swim right over em.
merg
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting