New river and surrounding areas

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New river and surrounding areas

Postby stealfeathers » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:02 pm

It is illegal to shoot birds from the bow of the boat while its in motion, if you are still moving.... Even though you killed the engine going 30 mph and your coasting, it's illegal.!! Who wants to kill their 2 blue bills that way anyway?

Also, stop attempting to run birds up in your jon boat, in attempt they could possibly turn around and decoy in to your 30 mallard and bluebill decoys while your hiding behind a log on the bank.... Eventually you will push birds off the river that won't come back.

Stop blowing wood duck calls.if that's what your after you need to continue scouting instead of hunting.

Stop trashing the blinds, they are not yours. I personally don't hunt the blinds but know some of the older fellows who built them. He doesn't appreciate you leaving 10 black cloud casing, and granola bar rappers on the floor. If your dog s**** in the blind be a man and wash it out. The dog prably crapped itself because its gun shy, leave that dog at the house with mommy.

You guys wonder why the ducks hang out in the middle of the channel and won't come close to shore. Use your heads .. PLEASE
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: New river and surrounding areas

Postby Duraco » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:52 am

This should be a sticky titled (etiquette or common sense)
Duraco
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 am

Time to take boat numbers, names, and testify in court. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:51 am

I was hoping that the 2 blue bill limit would correct the abortion that was last duck season... I should have known that the idiots don't even know the difference between mallards and blue bills any how.

I just call the man anymore. He might not get them today but once they are on his radar their days are numbered. I can tolerate the goose calls at cormorants and mallard calls at everything else since duck ID takes practice, but if it is covered in the very easy to read regulations book I have no pity on them. Truth be told I hope they get ticketed.

On the blind note... I don't know why it so damn hard for some people to not mess with stuff that is not theirs. I am not talking about hunting out of blinds, I am talking about tearing them up,leaving trash, and stealing stuff. Had my hammer and some other stuff for upkeep stole out of mine last year. Hell if you're hurting for a rusty claw hammer, nails, and zip ties let me know and I will personally drive you to McDonald's so you can apply for a job to buy your own shizer. Man do I hate scum sucking thiefs and low lifes.

Thanks for getting me all worked up Stealfeathers. :mad: I am going to try and kill a deer now.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 am

I got on the subject of "rallying birds" with boats last year and got my ass wore out by the "experts" on this site on how it doesn't pressure the birds and they will come back. I saw it more than once and every time the birds never came back. I know better but as long as this crowd who does it knows more than me then posting it here is a total waste of time. Instead just keep calling the WRC, they will have somebody working the area. I know I've been checked there several times over the years.

BTW Mike Marsh will put his yearly article in the Wilmington Star News, then the real idiots will show and it will really go to crap. :mad:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 pm

If your dog s**** in the blind be a man and wash it out.

Sorry about that, I generally like to let it harden up and usually I'm done hunting by the time this happens :shades:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby tarheel yankee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Does anyone know the regulations on hunting in the New River? I am wondering how far towards the ocean you can go before it is illegal or considered in the city limts or something, like near Snead's Ferry. I am planning a hunt after Christmas and just don't want to get in trouble. I have lloked on the internet quite a bit and can't find any legal documents stating the boundaries or egulations for that area. Thanks.
Chris
U.S. Army, Infantry,.........RETIRED!!!
tarheel yankee
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

tarheel yankee wrote:Does anyone know the regulations on hunting in the New River? I am wondering how far towards the ocean you can go before it is illegal or considered in the city limts or something, like near Snead's Ferry. I am planning a hunt after Christmas and just don't want to get in trouble. I have lloked on the internet quite a bit and can't find any legal documents stating the boundaries or egulations for that area. Thanks.

I was told you can not hunt within 500 foot of a dwelling. Also I understand Sneads Ferry has a no hunt waterway - just what I was told. North Topsail Beach city limits go to the center of the waterway. Both Surf City and Topsail Beach city limits cross all the ways across the waterway making it unlawful to discharge a gun within the city limits. I also hear most permanent residents do not care for gun fire early in the morning. Talk with the the NTB police chief - good guy.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Don't worry about regulations, worry about losing your life. New River is a huge body of water that is shallow and can get very rough in a few minutes. You had better have a rig that can take big water, nothing under 18 ft is safe when the wind gets up on that place. If you don't have a good blind on your boat you are wasting your time, birds here will raft up and never look at decoys especially if you are not concealed. If you don't have time to scout it then don't just think you can show up and go kill birds. Also remember the Marine Corp has gun ranges up and down the river. If you get to close you will be told to leave the area. Its not a place to just show up and hunt.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Dingbatter wrote:Don't worry about regulations, worry about losing your life. New River is a huge body of water that is shallow and can get very rough in a few minutes. You had better have a rig that can take big water, nothing under 18 ft is safe when the wind gets up on that place. If you don't have a good blind on your boat you are wasting your time, birds here will raft up and never look at decoys especially if you are not concealed. If you don't have time to scout it then don't just think you can show up and go kill birds

I will second the big water

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I've seen to many folks show up here and other places along the coast in with small jon boats loaded down with gear and dogs trying cross these big bodies of water. You can run a ground in NR even if you're in the middle so don't think that just because your in the middle of the river its deep. If you aren't local or don't know these waters stay home. The local regulations are the least of your worries.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:49 pm

One other thing to keep in mind, the New River passes through the military base; lots of No Tresspassing signs. I have a place on the island and have never hunted down there, do not know the area well enough. Just trying to get you a heads up.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby tarheel yankee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:16 am

I've hunted there before, and fished there quite a few times. I just don't know if I was actually hunting legal or not. I have a 17 foot with an aluminum blind and have been on rough water many times with this boat up in Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence River, Pamlico, and at Topsail Island. With that being said, I don't go out if it is rough water, I stay close to land...lol. Thanks for the advice and guidance on the regulations guys.
Chris
U.S. Army, Infantry,.........RETIRED!!!
tarheel yankee
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting