Gurganus Guide Service

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Gurganus Guide Service

Postby JWH15 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:54 am

My brother In-law recently invited me to tag along with them on a hunt towards the end of January with Gurganus. Anybody have any experience or heard anything about them? Most of my public spots are taken over now by high schoolers and our private swamp just hasn't produced the past couple years like they have previously. My hunting time is limited now due to a new job so I wouldn't mind getting out and shooting a few ducks. My main concern is from experience most of the ducks in Hyde county impoundments usually fly out before LST and fly in after LST ends. Sorry for the long post and Thanks!
JWH15
hunter

Re: Gurganus Guide Service

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Unless you have weather to move the birds, your hunt will most likely follow your past experiances.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby JWH15 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 pm

that's what I figured, was just seeing if anybody else had any other views or experiences.
JWH15
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 pm

always heard good things about Gurganus...

but nothing magic about it. gonna have to be weather-driven or have fresh birds to really do some damage

should be a neat experience regardless
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm

I know Brad and he manages his impoundments very well. But like others have said Hyde county hunting is weather dependant.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Your guide has the reputation of managing his impoundments. Low hunting pressure is one of the keys. If you are hunting on a moon phase where there is not a lot of moon light all night you are less likely to experience the gone at daylight thing, especially if you have weather.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby sprighunter27889 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I have hunted with brad and his gang several times over the past years, and they have always gone above and beyond to make certain that our hunt was memorable each and every time we have been down to hunt...brad and his guides are a great bunch of guys, and they will do everything in there power to put you on the ducks!!! Just in case you didnt know it, one of his guides also runs a fairly large boat to carry parties out on the sound, for those days when the weather for the impoundments may not be at its best, we did a sound hunt last year when we were there, and it was a great expierence, saw tons of ducks, and shot a nice mixed bag of puddlers and divers! So as i said they have the means to put you on the ducks. I personally cant wait to go back. Good luck on your hunt, im sure it will be great!
sprighunter27889
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:40 pm

I hunted with Brad some years back, good guy. The weather is a big thing down there. With the right temperature and wind, the ducks should move. Good luck with your hunt.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting