legal question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

legal question

Postby longlakesd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I have a question .... in NY you can legally hunt in the water basically anywhere you want if you are below the high water mark. Therefore this allows one to setup in front of a residential, commercial dwelling etc. You can hunt right in front of someones house if it is below the high water mark. basically. Not that i do this but i hunt where its further away from peoples home or on a low populated shore line .... but is this the case in NC? I know in Maryland people can actually own the water and post it which sucks because you either have to be a millionaire to hunt or you have to know people or pay a lot of money. The main exception to this also is that you still obviusly can't hunt in city or town limits even in the water.

- brad
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Re: legal question

Postby wstober » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Generally No. NC has the gambit of rules. http://www.ncwildlife.org/ You need to look up state and local regs. for where you hunt. I don't know why you would even want to do this...legal or not.
wstober
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:35 pm

wstober wrote:Generally No. NC has the gambit of rules. http://www.ncwildlife.org/ You need to look up state and local regs. for where you hunt. I don't know why you would even want to do this...legal or not.

You dont know why i would want to do what ?

longlakesd
hunter

Postby JinAK » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Actually you can if you want as long as your not in city limits. I guess it depends on the city though. I live about 50 yards out of the city limits and my house is on a tidal creek with houses on it that opens to a larger bay. Ran into the GW this summer and asked him about hunting the bay. Hey told me yeah I could hunt the bay and legally I could hunt the creek in my backyard if I wanted to as long as I didn't shoot at anyone's house. Can't really hunt the creek without ruining someone's breakfast but I do hunt the bay with a few houses about 500 or so yards behind me. Just nice to jump In the kayak and paddle out to the marsh a couple times a year. No one owns the water..that's why a lot of land owners play the blind laws to keep people away from their coast.
JinAK
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:42 pm

NC has regs that limit how close to someone's house you can hunt with a gun so read up. I think, generally, if you can navigate it on a boat you can hunt it. But, we have a lot of county specific laws in NC so read up. Also, a call to the local game warden would be a good idea.
berudd
hunter

Postby wstober » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:30 am

longlakesd wrote: hunt right in front of someones house if it is below the high water mark.
- brad
wstober
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 pm

just referring to the law and what it allows.

longlakesd
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:50 pm

NC has regs that limit how close to someone's house you can hunt with a gun so read up.

Actually, I think if you look, county laws specify distances to residences and how close you can shoot,not state.
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 pm

You need to look up the North Carolina General Statutes. It varies county by county. Orange county is 500 feet to where Durham is 600 feet. It does have an exception for hunting.

Here is an example as to what you need to look for. Here is the one from Lincoln County.

http://www.lincolntribune.com/docs/gunordinance.PDF
puppypopper
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 am

JinAK wrote:Actually you can if you want as long as your not in city limits. I guess it depends on the city though. I live about 50 yards out of the city limits and my house is on a tidal creek with houses on it that opens to a larger bay. Ran into the GW this summer and asked him about hunting the bay. Hey told me yeah I could hunt the bay and legally I could hunt the creek in my backyard if I wanted to as long as I didn't shoot at anyone's house. Can't really hunt the creek without ruining someone's breakfast but I do hunt the bay with a few houses about 500 or so yards behind me. Just nice to jump In the kayak and paddle out to the marsh a couple times a year. No one owns the water..that's why a lot of land owners play the blind laws to keep people away from their coast.

I notice that you are in Carteret County. Your county has the so-called "Hunter Safety Law" that prohibits anyone from hunting within 500 yards from a property owner's permanent hunting location (read: blind) without the written permission of the property owner. This includes water within 500 yards of the blind.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby JinAK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:29 am

wahoowilly wrote:
JinAK wrote:Actually you can if you want as long as your not in city limits. I guess it depends on the city though. I live about 50 yards out of the city limits and my house is on a tidal creek with houses on it that opens to a larger bay. Ran into the GW this summer and asked him about hunting the bay. Hey told me yeah I could hunt the bay and legally I could hunt the creek in my backyard if I wanted to as long as I didn't shoot at anyone's house. Can't really hunt the creek without ruining someone's breakfast but I do hunt the bay with a few houses about 500 or so yards behind me. Just nice to jump In the kayak and paddle out to the marsh a couple times a year. No one owns the water..that's why a lot of land owners play the blind laws to keep people away from their coast.

I notice that you are in Carteret County. Your county has the so-called "Hunter Safety Law" that prohibits anyone from hunting within 500 yards from a property owner's permanent hunting location (read: blind) without the written permission of the property owner. This includes water within 500 yards of the blind.

Correct
JinAK
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting