Killed his last wood duck

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Killed his last wood duck

Postby Bloke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:20 am

So I was sitting on a path that borders the swamp on our lease. It was getting close to dusk and the wood ducks and mallards were piling in one of my roosting holes as normal. They were all screaming as they do. I look up and see this guy in a flat run towards them. I decided he had eaten his last duck. Thinking about getting him mounted lunging at a flushing wood duck. They really are a pretty animal.
Kitty Kitty.jpg
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: Killed his last wood duck

Postby ibedamn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 am

Nice job Bloke. I always liked cats...dead ones.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 am

pretty work.... :thumbsup:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am

Thast awesome! My brother killed one pretty ,much the same way. He was scouting our impoudnment and busted a bobcat and rolled it. Went back to where he busted it out of the bursh and it had been eating a wood duck it caught. They must like wood duck.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Bloke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks guys, KAhunter they do eat allot of wood ducks around my area. They are easy for them to catch. The ducks stick right to the edge of the swamp for the most part, where there is plenty of cover. bobcat can slip right in there in the dark and the duck never sees it coming. I find a few each year that have been killed like that.
Bloke
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Bobcats and other critters have to work hard to get a meal while we kill stuff mainly for recreation. I could care less if they eat a woodie or anything else they can catch.

Nice cat! Should make a great mount. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Great job ! As a predator hunter at heart, I still wait at the chance to drop one. That is a real trophy.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:17 pm

That's going to make a pretty mount .I've been trying to kill one for years.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:48 am

puppypopper wrote:Great job ! As a predator hunter at heart, I still wait at the chance to drop one. That is a real trophy.

Thank man, I have been after one for a while myself. Always wanted to shoot it with the bow but let's be real, that is about impossible. This is the 3rd one I have seen on this property.
Bloke
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:56 am

I would not say that's impossible, just luck to kill one with a bow. A guy killed at 31lb cat over in Butner last year with his. Come to think of it, he was hunting on the back side of a swamp to. HMM, gives me something to think about.

If I don't see anymore birds for Saturday, I might just get the FoxPro out and go sit on a swamp.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:01 am

Now that you say that, every single cat I have ever seen were in or near a swamp. This property is 550 acres and only 200 is dry. Most of it is swamp.
Bloke
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:15 am

Well there you go. Should be a double season for you.

Now the question is , do you use a mouse squeaker or a wood duck call to call one in ?
puppypopper
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 am

We've killed 4 on my deer lease in the last 2 years and 2 of those were with a bow and all but 1 were right next to the swamp. The other one was in pursuit of a deer or at least that's my assumption. A deer walked across the logging road very swiftly and about 20 seconds behind it was a bobcat trying to be as sly and quiet as he could. The 30.06 took care of that one
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 am

Hmmm, I would think a distress call would work best depending on the time you were hunting. I think most of their hunting is done nocturnally so you would need something pretty aggressive to get his interest up enough to investigate during daylight hours. They are used to hearing wood ducks calling all day in this place. You would know better than I but I think the biggest hurdle for killing a cat is actually catching him coming in. The unlike other predators sneak in instead of barreling in trying to steal someone elses dinner.
Bloke
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 am

trigger22 wrote:We've killed 4 on my deer lease in the last 2 years and 2 of those were with a bow and all but 1 were right next to the swamp. The other one was in pursuit of a deer or at least that's my assumption. A deer walked across the logging road very swiftly and about 20 seconds behind it was a bobcat trying to be as sly and quiet as he could. The 30.06 took care of that one

Bobcat with the bow is a tremendous trophy in my book. I am a big bow hunter and that would be an awesome accomplishment. Especially if it was the targeted animal. :thumbsup: The way my deer season has gone this year I may be doing a little more predator hunting on this lease.
Bloke
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am

They weren't targeted, just so happened to be slipping by while I was in the stand deer hunting.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am

Still pretty awesome to be able to draw on a bobcat.
Bloke
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 am

Cats are tough, no doubt about it. The first one I ever called in, slide up behind me without me knowing it. I don't know who scared who. I got tired of sitting on a log overlooking a field, stood up and there he was standing about 10 yards behind me. He went one way and I the other. You know, its really hard to draw a 65lb longbow when you get jumped like that.

As far as calling a cat, it's more of the movement than calling. Once a cat gets locked onto a sound, they start looking for movement . I hate we can not use e-callers on cats, but oh well. I just hate giving up my position when cat hunting. You just can't start calling them get up and move, you could but you just don't know if there is a cat in the area that might pick you up.

Dang, now I want to take off and go after a cat.

I hate forums some days. :lol3:

Again, great job on the kill.

Just think about how many birds will get a chance..... to fly into my spread. :lol3:
puppypopper
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 am

Bloke, can I copy your post for the NCPHA's board ?
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:16 pm

puppypopper wrote:Bloke, can I copy your post for the NCPHA's board ?

Sure thing! Have to check that site out, never been to it. :thumbsup:
Bloke
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting