Upper Roanoke River Area

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Upper Roanoke River Area

Postby PDCootShooter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:08 am

So I got selected for the Upper Roanoke River Area, woods island tract, for the 1/4 and 1/18. Its was like a 4th or 5th choice for me and my friend. Im planning on tryin to get up there and scout some before the hunt (if thats allowed) but also curious to know if anybody has ever hunted it and if so what am i getting myself into. I cant find hardly anything on the internet about this place, so any help would be appreciated.
PDCootShooter
hunter

Re: Upper Roanoke River Area

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:41 am

Seriously?????
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby damarshall7 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Give me a few days and I'll go scout it for you and send you gps coordinates of the good spots.
damarshall7
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:52 pm

I kill limits of eurasion wigeon there yearly..
NCfowl
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:33 pm

PDCootShooter wrote: curious to know if anybody has ever hunted it and if so what am i getting myself into.

Alright there Jr Commander
You set yourself up for this one. Cyber scouting at its best :thumbsup: Basically you have just admitted you bought yourself a $5 hunt and don't even have a clue of what you have got. Why did you apply for something that you don't know a lick about? I'm curious if you even know if your permit hunt is located in the west or eastern part of the state.

BTW appreciated the private message :thumbsup: That told me all I needed to know about you
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby PDCootShooter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks to everybody for the constructive criticism, and the quick judgement as a "cyber scouter" and a "jr commander". You are correct in your assumption in that I don't know every thing there is to know about duck hunting. But couldn't be more wrong about the "jr commander" and "cyber scouter" labels. As I said in my OP it was a last choice on my list which included goose creek, (killed a 3 man limit there last year) j Morgan futch, second creek, ( very close to my house so scouting wouldn't be a problem) and mattamuskeet. I looked at the map of the place and it looked pretty good seeing as how it's right on the roanoke river in between Halifax and Bertie counties (western part of the state). The Jr Commander label dosnt fit we'll either because the lakes and private swamps I'm fortunate to hunt are scouted regular by myself during hunting season, I can blow a duck call, I don't watch duck dynasty, I don't have barrel stickers in my gun nor a window full of hunting related decals on my truck, nor dose all my camo have a drake label and matches to the T. I've always shot at birds well within killing range (mostly feet down in the decoys) and most of all I've been hunting better part if 10 or so years. But most of all my daddy didn't buy my truck nor my boat or any of my hunting equipment. I wasn't looking for " it's hold x amount of ducks " and you need to be "here" to kill them. I'm more or less asking will I need a creek boat to navigate, or could i just walk with a sled in tow. I was also curious to know if swans frequent the place because I also was one of the lucky ones to draw a swan permit for the first time. Is it waist deep muddy and full of beaver stumps, is it planted by the wildlife and other general questions. Plus if you have hunted it before and didn't draw a permit for this year to hunt on the same days as I where would it be a problem to throw somebody a crumb. I know I should be up there scouting prior to the hunt and I have intentions on doing so but working a full and part time job and the fact that the place is 3 hrs from my house makes that hard to do as much as I would like to. I have to work as I am 28 years old and supporting a family and that comes first in my life. With that all being said I understand the aggravation with the "cyber scouters" asking where and what all the time on this forum. I am constantly asked all the time about Tillery, Tuckertown, High Rock, and especially Badin as that's where I hunt most of the time so I know exactly where you all are coming from. I will be man e ought to apologize in advance for the PM's sent to the first couple of individuals with replies as they may have come off a bit harsh, so I guess I got what I ask for with the labels. We should all take into consideration a little better attitude towards the new up and coming hunters as hard as it may be and try to point them in the right direction. That being said I do realize some are helpless. But on the other hand you never know when then new person that every body is talking sh** about on here will be the one to pull you back to the landing when your boat is broke down. If you have taken the time out of your day to read my book I just wrote thank you. I hope all has a successful and safe 3rd split but most of all a Merry Christmas and great new year. Hopefully my 5$ hunt will pan out to my benefit. Thanks again for the help!
PDCootShooter
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:14 am

I think if you would have asked those questions you would have likely received a different answer. You may have still gotten a flaming in public but I would be willing to bet someone would have sent you a pm with some answers. Anyways, good luck with your hunt
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting