Gaddy question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Gaddy question

Postby swamplife90 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I went on a hunt this evening with a guy I work with and we had a flock of 8 circle 7 or 8 but could not get them to commit. How do you guys get them to finish? By the way we shot 4 mallards each so I believe we were hidden well.
swamplife90
hunter

Re: Gaddy question

Postby saltnbattery » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Might sound crazy but we had a large group circle us 5-6 times but would not commit to a hen mallard call. I jokingly started blowing a wigeon call on the whistle and they dumped in. I think it just took something different than what they were used to hearing. I'm not saying that would be my recommendation for future trips but on that day, on that group, it worked.
saltnbattery
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Thats just the nature of the gadwall. They can be the most frustrating at times, and other times decoy like they have no eyes. My experience is silence is most effective.
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby TooTall » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:11 pm

decoycarver0205 wrote:Thats just the nature of the gadwall. They can be the most frustrating at times, and other times decoy like they have no eyes. My experience is silence is most effective.

^this

Some days they do it and some days they don't. As a general rule of thumb for all ducks, if the birds are working but won't finish, quit calling.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby swamplife90 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replys I was using my whistle just peeping and doing a drake mallard call but I have never had an encounter with any gadwalls in my 10 year of hunting it's a rarity for me to work some as they are one on my hitlist.
swamplife90
hunter

Postby snc1100 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:37 pm

saltnbattery wrote:Might sound crazy but we had a large group circle us 5-6 times but would not commit to a hen mallard call. I jokingly started blowing a wigeon call on the whistle and they dumped in. I think it just took something different than what they were used to hearing. I'm not saying that would be my recommendation for future trips but on that day, on that group, it worked.

oddly enough i had the same thing happen saturday afternoon on a group. they snuck up on us in a group of 15 or so while i was messing around with a group of shore birds with my whistle. since i allready had my whistle in my mouth i started blowing a wigeon lick and they turned and sat right down. first time thats ever worked for me so i may just have to keep it in the back of my mind.
snc1100
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 am

Definitely has been a banner year for gadwall.We have had them all season.If you can make the "grunt" sound the drakes make we find that sometimes will convince them all is well.Sometimes they sound like a group of flying pigs....lol :thumbsup:
fowlhntr
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting