Jordan lake question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Jordan lake question

Postby Turkeyboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:26 pm

Hey guys new duck hunter here in NC. Not new to duck hunting just new to doing it in NC. I had a few question I was hoping you guys could help with. Now before I get called a cyber scouter or a JDC let me say, I have no interest in your spots, how many ducks you're seeing, or what time/days I should go. My question is about how deep the water is. I plan to go do my own scouting but would rather not drown in the process. So should I bring the canoe along or is it you fellas experience that the impoundments can be safety waded? Also I drew a late season permit hunt for Caswell's Wayne/Brumly impoundment. Same question, safe to wade or take the boat? Can I expect knee deep water or is it gonna reach my neck? And with the permit hunt will I have the impoundment to myself or do they give a set number for each day where you share the impoundment for the day? I only ask because compared to Jordan, Caswell's seems awful small. I tried calling the wildlife managers for each are but they seemed unsure of what I was asking. Thanks in advance and again I'm not asking for any scouting info just info to keep safe and not drown.
Turkeyboy
Newb

Re: Jordan lake question

Postby Percy86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

I can't help you turkeyboy, but that is the right way to ask for advice. Most people want to know where your spot is, gps coordinates, what time you are going out so they can beat you to your own spot, etc. Most of the time they should just ask if they can hunt with you. Anyway, welcome to the forum and nc duck hunting.
Percy86
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:41 pm

The number of parties for the impoundment will be listed on the same page where you got the number to apply for the impoundment at.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby eisenhauer01 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 am

I drew a late season permit for the Brumley Impoundment as well. No boats on that impoundment, from what I hear you can wade the whole thing except there is a trench of some sort that runs across part of it that you just have to watch for. As far as your other questions, it just depends on where you are on what gear you need. Some swamps I hunt I know I can wade all of it, so I do. Other swamps I bring a kayak. You won't know until ya get out there and check it out. Hope that helps
eisenhauer01
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 am

Brumley impoundment is very small,you will not need a boat there.There is a creekbed in the middle of the planted impound and it is also in the moist soil section across the damn,but you should have no problems if you just use common sense when setting your decoys.I would scout it several times before the hunt,you may decide it isnt worth your time :welcome:
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:25 pm

If you are familiar with the Stagecoach Rd area on the north end of Jordan there are a few impoundments up there. They can be deceptive when the water is up. There are creek channels that run through them and if can find yourself stepping off and over you're head. I think they alternate years flooding the different impoundments so I can tell you which ones are deep right now. I'd say if it looks like flooded timber you might want a canoe to avoid those creek channels.
berudd
hunter

Postby Turkeyboy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the great info fellas. Gonna head to Jordan to do some scouting with a canoe it looks like. One more thing I meant to ask, since the impoundments, both Jordan and Caswell, are only hunted certain days, can we go scout them on the off days or is it a rule nobody can be out there for a reason? Again thanks for the help, probably saved me from taking an unwanted swim!
Turkeyboy
Newb

Postby duckasaurus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 pm

The impoundments that are flooded this season at jordan (#1, 4, & 6 I believe) are deep. You will definitely need a canoe.
duckasaurus
hunter

Postby Zgreene35@gmail.com » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:41 am

Jordan lake is up bad right now which is hurting the lake because last year it was normal water levels or even down a little and were a ton of birds jordan lake is my lake and have done a ton of hunting and scouting this year im only 18 and still in high school and hunt when im not playing football or busy with school but jordan is tuff this year you just half to get where the birds want to be and find duck weed but the water levels are hurting the lake i havent had many ducks decoy just wood ducks and green winged teal but jordan is not a bad lake i know people had been talking crap about it and i agree its been tuff this year but its not over yet.
Zgreene35@gmail.com
Newb

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:49 am

Find the newly flooded areas with the rising water levels and you will find the ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting