Wanting To Learn all there is to learn

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Wanting To Learn all there is to learn

Postby luckyhorseshoe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey guys new duck hunter here from the piedmont area, ive been in the woods and around hunting since i was old enough to walk in the woods with my father, im 22 now. Have deer, turkery, rabbit, fox, coyote hunted done it all except duck or goose hunt much. I have been a few times and i was truly fascinated with it all even though my hunts just consisted of sitting by a pond and waiting it still intrest me. The decoys, the calls, birds the preperation all excites me, just dont know much about it or how to really get started.. alotta people arent willing to help i guess cause they believe im just one more hunter taking up blind space or potentially taking away honey holes. I can only watch so many dvds and shows on it. Basically i need help i know season aint much longer but i wanna learn it all and truly get envolved with the tradition. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks again
luckyhorseshoe
Newb

Re: Wanting To Learn all there is to learn

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:37 am

You will never learn it all. My grandpa did it for 55 years and said he still learned something new every year.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:43 am

Research, read, hunt, make mistakes, learn from your mistakes.

As most of us have learned. Many of us have not had someone to show us the ropes, per say. We simple put boot to ground and pounded it out. Yes, its hard to find someone that will take the time to show a newbie the ropes. But on the other hand look at the reward you will cherish from learning it on your own. Folks will give you pointers now and then. Become a sponge and absorb all that you can read and watch.

And when all else fails.

Get out and just do it.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 am

Duck Dynasty... that is all you need to watch and study.

In all seriousness, my advice would be an organization like DU or Delta Waterfowl. Go to a banquet, meet some people, get involved in some of the events. You also can of course look for hunting clubs in your area.

My personal advice is don't burn any bridges (especially locally) and always be gracious of an opportunity to learn. Starting out fresh, it is like looking for your first job... network, network, network.

Good luck! :beer:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 am

If you can afford it, a hunt with a good experienced guide can teach you more in a day's hunt than you can learn on your on in weeks.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:14 am

luckyhorseshoe wrote:Hey guys new duck hunter here from the piedmont area, ive been in the woods and around hunting since i was old enough to walk in the woods with my father, im 22 now. Have deer, turkery, rabbit, fox, coyote hunted done it all except duck or goose hunt much. I have been a few times and i was truly fascinated with it all even though my hunts just consisted of sitting by a pond and waiting it still intrest me. The decoys, the calls, birds the preperation all excites me, just dont know much about it or how to really get started.. alotta people arent willing to help i guess cause they believe im just one more hunter taking up blind space or potentially taking away honey holes. I can only watch so many dvds and shows on it. Basically i need help i know season aint much longer but i wanna learn it all and truly get envolved with the tradition. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks again

go to your local lake, and do this. you should kill a few.
Attachments
funny corn duck.jpg
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Technician » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm

be aware of your surroundings and think hard about whether what you are doing is affecting anyone else hunt, fishing, whatever...
know the laws and etiquette first, then get out in the field, look & learn plenty can be deciphered from reading all the complaints on this site
Technician
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting