can ducks see decoy weights

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

can ducks see decoy weights

Postby fireduck12 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Im having problems getting mallards to commit and come close enough to shoot. We are hunting public places near Greensboro. we get mallards to look, circle but will not finish. we are using 18 mallards 12 bbs and 6 geese. all are rigged with black decoy cord. I was wondering if they could see the cord or if we are doing something else wrong. Thanks for the help
fireduck12
Newb

Re: can ducks see decoy weights

Postby trigger22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:48 pm

They see or hear something they don't like. Either your calling leaves a lot to be desired for, they are seeing your shiny faces, you're moving too much or your boats sticking out like a sore thumb. Best case scenario, you aren't where they want to be and they are headed for greener pastures.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Possibles:

Dekes too tight. Spread them out.

I'm a diver hunter, but if think if you have big Canada's mixed with green heads, it is unnatural. I would separate the geese from the duck

Blind too close to the ducks.

Ducks kissing each other? Spread them out.

Face masks.

Movement.

If you are calling when they are circling directly above you.....unless you are a GREAT caller, stop. They already see your dukes and are on top of you
Paul26
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Geese with ducks is a good thing especially for mallards. When I hunt mallard (rarely anymore) I put goose decoys right where I want the mallards to commit. It never fails
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:23 am

Im having problems getting mallards to commit and come close enough to shoot. We are hunting public places near Greensboro. we get mallards to look, circle but will not finish. we are using 18 mallards 12 bbs and 6 geese. all are rigged with black decoy cord. I was wondering if they could see the cord or if we are doing something else wrong. Thanks for the help

I second Trigger on the geese. When I get to hunt I usually kill a load of mallards and it's almost always over a few goose decoys mixed with mallards. They like goose decoys, unless you are hunting an area that just doesn't have any geese, then it might be different. Depending on your calling, you may need to tone it down. Has it been calm when you've been hunting? If so, use a jerk string. Use a drake whistle some. Spread the decoys out a little and cut them in half. I hardly ever have out more than 8 mallard decoys when hunting in areas where there are a lot of mallards. Also, if you're hunting resident mallards, they are just flat out smart by this time of the season. If you're hunting out of a boat blind you may want to try and get on the bank if possible and blind in. Don't hunt the birds in the same exact location if you can help it. Throw different spreads at them. Call the birds when they're on the corners, like when they're in that decision mode(should I land or I should I keep flying) and give them a 6-7 syllable greeting call. If they're coming towards you, don't call at all. If they circle a time or two and don't commit, just lay the call down and pick up the drake whistle and just coax them with it, pull the jerk string. This is what works for me. Good Luck!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby fireduck12 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:28 am

where we are hunting others have out large spreads. some have out 4doz mallards and more divers. So I thought the idea was to have more decoys than the hunter next to you. But I will try the small spread next time. when I was a kid my dad used clear mono for his decoys and I haven't been able to find any large mono local so im using tangle free black line.
fireduck12
Newb

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 am

a black duck all by itself can be pretty killer. Do the complete opposite of everybody else in your area and see what happens
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby black_duck » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Yes they can. One time when we were hunting in shallow water on the sound we would have ducks lock up and flair right on the edge of the decoys. We got out and walked around our rig and you could see the black strings from 30 yards away. That night we changed all of our lines to heavy mono and went back the next day and had a good hunt. Ever since then we only use mono unless we are diver duck hunting in deep water.
black_duck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Use weed eater line. It's mono. :smile: You can get it in blue, green, or clear.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:17 pm

After several yrs of scouting in ND sitting back 1/2 mile and watching ducks circle a field full(1000's) of feeding mallards 5 or 6 times and then fly off my observation is they are just ducks being ducks. They was nothing to flare them. I think most people think they are flaring and they reallly are just are being ducks. If they truely flare you will know it and they will be gone, not circle severasl times.
labman63
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting