How's everybody's season?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

How's everybody's season?

Postby MichaelT » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:10 am

How is everybody's season going thus far? I haven't seen big numbers of birds where I'm hunting but have been managing to kill a few here lately. I've shot at least one in 6 of my last 7 hunts which is a lot better than I can say from last year. Being my 2nd year chasing these waterfowl I am still learning and have a lot to learn. Two things I have picked up on so far this season, I have better hunts when I use my calls a lot less, hell my best hunt this year I accidentally left my calls at home. Also I've noticed I'm doing better without hunting in my boat blind and just finding some brush to hide in. Post up and let us know how you're doing. Good luck!!
MichaelT
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 am
Location: Charlotte, NC


Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby ibedamn » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Ours has been good so far. Good variety.

Image
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Good so far. At the 200 bird mark.
NCfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:21 pm

NCfowl wrote:Good so far. At the 200 bird mark.

Doves and grebes are not allowed in the season totals.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre


copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
User avatar
sampsonhuntin
hunter
 
Posts: 2637
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 am
Location: roseboro, north carolina

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Worse than last year. Which I didn't really think was possible
decoycarver0205
hunter
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 am
Location: NC

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Good so far. Have been seeing large numbers of puddle and divers since opener in November. Probably the best numbers I have seen in 10 years or more. This morning the swamp was full of mallards for the 1st hour or so and we saw what most people travel to Arkansas for. Its amazing the potential a place can have when you don't have yahoos across the river hunting the roost and running all the ducks out of the county.
EastBound&Down
hunter
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:50 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:
NCfowl wrote:Good so far. At the 200 bird mark.

Doves and grebes are not allowed in the season totals.



Awh man........ still at 200 :biggrin:
NCfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby labman63 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:22 pm

All NC Birds? Just curious


NCfowl wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:
NCfowl wrote:Good so far. At the 200 bird mark.

Doves and grebes are not allowed in the season totals.



Awh man........ still at 200 :biggrin:
labman63
hunter
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:17 pm

labman63 wrote:All NC Birds? Just curious


NCfowl wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:
NCfowl wrote:Good so far. At the 200 bird mark.

Doves and grebes are not allowed in the season totals.



Awh man........ still at 200 :biggrin:

:lol3: Congrats on what seems to be a hell of a season and you have a month to add more. :thumbsup:
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre


copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
User avatar
sampsonhuntin
hunter
 
Posts: 2637
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 am
Location: roseboro, north carolina

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Minus 12 in VA
NCfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby DuckMauler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:59 am

Been out twice, got my limit twice. Wish I could go more.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:00 am

Simply Fantastic! Every time I go I have a great time whether I kill anything or not. :grooving:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby Paul26 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:10 am

On a scale of 1-10....10 is the best. For point of reference.....last season was a 10. Just a freak year in my neck of the coast.

I would give this year a 7. If I was scoring only on seeing birds, I'd say 9.5. There are unquestionably plenty of birds here. Maybe as many as this time last year.

But this piss-warm wx is screwing things up. So it's a 7.

We took 3 bbills and 2 ruddy duck yesterday. But we saw many, many birds......who flew in groups of 200-300 (probably a conservative estimate, probably more). And in near-70 degrees they plopped right down in a huge raft and got a tan.

Added points for this year: I am hearing more reports of redheads in coastal NC this year than in the past......though I personally have not seen one.
Paul26
hunter
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby Mallard Cutter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:42 am

It's been just ok so far. Killed a few birds but nothing like last year.
Mallard Cutter
hunter
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 pm
Location: Atlantic Flyway

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 am

As soon as we can put this moon phase behind us and get back into a cooler weather pattern things should improve dramatically. Numbers are definitely here, just need some duck killing weather. After Christmas is looking promising.
EastBound&Down
hunter
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby Metalman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:11 am

I have hunted about 20 days this year with clients, we have seen a lot of birds but not any big flocks. I am well over 200 ducks retrieved for the season. That is down from this time last year. Hoping that January will be better.
I hunted the eastern shore Maryland this past week and saw VERY LARGE (1000+) flocks of blue bills, redheads, and cans flying around, and rafted up on the bigger water. There are also very large flocks of swans and snow geese still hanging around up there.
We need some cold nasty weather up there to get those birds down here.
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
User avatar
Metalman
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:49 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:21 am

Metalman wrote:I have hunted about 20 days this year with clients, we have seen a lot of birds but not any big flocks. I am well over 200 ducks retrieved for the season. That is down from this time last year. Hoping that January will be better.
I hunted the eastern shore Maryland this past week and saw VERY LARGE (1000+) flocks of blue bills, redheads, and cans flying around, and rafted up on the bigger water. There are also very large flocks of swans and snow geese still hanging around up there.
We need some cold nasty weather up there to get those birds down here.

Those big flocks of divers are here also. Just rafted up out in the middle of the pamilco in no mans land. Last Monday I saw up to 10k doing their thing throughout the morning.
EastBound&Down
hunter
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby trigger22 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:42 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
Metalman wrote:I have hunted about 20 days this year with clients, we have seen a lot of birds but not any big flocks. I am well over 200 ducks retrieved for the season. That is down from this time last year. Hoping that January will be better.
I hunted the eastern shore Maryland this past week and saw VERY LARGE (1000+) flocks of blue bills, redheads, and cans flying around, and rafted up on the bigger water. There are also very large flocks of swans and snow geese still hanging around up there.
We need some cold nasty weather up there to get those birds down here.

Those big flocks of divers are here also. Just rafted up out in the middle of the pamilco in no mans land. Last Monday I saw up to 10k doing their thing throughout the morning.


They're out the loafing around just waiting to be ambushed ;)
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
User avatar
trigger22
hunter
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 am

It's been decent. We have had a couple good goose hunts and have shot some ducks here and there. Hoping that we get on them tomorrow and Tuesday in Oregon Inlet.
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: How's everybody's season?

Postby Paul26 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:24 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:As soon as we can put this moon phase behind us and get back into a cooler weather pattern things should improve dramatically. Numbers are definitely here, just need some duck killing weather. After Christmas is looking promising.



This is EXACTLY CORRECT. Some dark nights and cool temps, and we're gonna be in Fat City
Paul26
hunter
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC


Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Taxidermist and 4 guests