Campbell's Creek Impoundments

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Campbell's Creek Impoundments

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Recently hunted them. Be careful because they have switched the numbers of the impoundments. 1 is 2 and 2 is 1 . Anyone know why they done this?
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Campbell's Creek Impoundments

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm

who told you this? according to the ncwrc gameland map they are still numbered like they have always been. I haven't been there in years and wont be, so just curious where you got that info
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:24 pm

NCfowl wrote:Recently hunted them. Be careful because they have switched the numbers of the impoundments. 1 is 2 and 2 is 1 . Anyone know why they done this?

Nope, still 1 and 2; west to east.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:47 pm

maybe a local switched the signs because last year to this year at my draw hunts the signs have been changed at the scouting tower.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:49 pm

I know all the people I asked didn't know. There was 4 plus groups in one and we were the only ones in ours. So I know some people are messed up.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:08 am

Impoundments were labeled correctly at the observation stand a few weeks ago, like above, locals may have changed them...
Percy86
hunter

Postby Metalman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Why do you assume that a local may have changed the signs? Could have been any idiot or Jr. Commander from anywhere across the state.
I call BS on your assumption.
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:30 pm

I wouldn't put it past a local or dumbass state worker.

We hunted the opener at North River and the imp #s and blind #'s were all jacked up between online maps, gps cords, onsite maps and actual blind signs. Complete cluster eff.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Percy86 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Metal man, I agree it could have been a JC and meant nothing in stating a local could have done it, I was just agreeing with nc fowl bc it was thrown out. I could see someone doing it for shits and giggles when Mr. Jeans checks them and they are hunting the wrong impoundment. I'm sure that only the JC's take down the Oyster Creek rd. sign too...?
Percy86
hunter

Postby ss28583 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Gary did you and Chris get bored again? I mean I know the hunting is slow but stop picking on the Jr DC;s :biggrin:
Steve Smith
USCG Licensed Captain
ss28583
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:32 am

this is just silly.

if stuff like this keeps up, I can see these public spots getting closed. more headache than its worth

then we can all sit around and gripe and moan about how many birds are sitting rafted on the impoundments that we cant hunt anymore
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:25 am

Metalman wrote:Why do you assume that a local may have changed the signs? Could have been any idiot or Jr. Commander from anywhere across the state.
I call BS on your assumption.

You beat me to the punch Gary. Someone has changed the signs. Good grief . . .
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 am

I heard it was out of towners from South Carolina that changed the signs...
Willie
hunter

Postby Technician » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am

obviously the state wouldn't purposely change this imp numbers. If your fumbling around in the dark looking for numbers the morning of, id say your unprepared anyhow.
Technician
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:42 am

It was a guy from Virginia Beach.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:27 pm

It was a guy from Virginia Beach.

HAHA I know that guy! He's a real character :hammer:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Metalman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:50 am

Regardless whether the signs have been switched or not...or who might have switched them...
If you don't know which pond is #1 or #2 you have not done enough pre-hunt homework. As stated above, the state would not, has not, and ain't going to change the pond numbers.
If you show up on the morning of your hunt, (in the dark) and don't where your going #1 or #2, why did you even put in for the draw?
I don't know anything about the Oyster Creek sign being switched....but again, see above.
If you are putting in for a draw hunt for the first time, anywhere, it is your responsibility to learn that area before you get there to hunt. Go scout, set-up your GPS route or trail, pick the spot you plan to hunt, then pick two other spots, because someone is likely to have already done their homework as well and might be where you want to be. By the way, if someone is already in "your" spot, go to another spot, DO NOT SET-UP on top of, or downwind of someone's spread!!! They beat you there fair and square, no need to eff-it up for everyone.
I'm not bored, and my hunting has not been slow...scouting and preparation pays off every time :grooving:
I still call BS on the assumption that a local may have changed the signs! :hammer:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:30 am

We done our research far from being drawn. Regardless, we scouted, set up in the correct impoundment and had a great hunt. Regardless of who changed it and if they were.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby fuzzytail » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 am

As a local to Campbells creek impoundment and PP I take this on the offensive side, So most of you, that don't understand "WE LOCALS DON'T HUNT IN THERE." Would never duck hunt again if that was my only option!
fuzzytail
hunter

Postby SouthEastNC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 am

Thought about starting a new thread given the discussion in this one, but....

Anybody hunted the CC impoundments lately? I've got CC2 this Saturday. Have hunted CC1 a couple times with good success, but it looks to have a lot more grassy/marshy areas to set up in. I'm going to scout CC2 on Friday, but can't get up there till mid-day. Had a buddy hunt CC2 first day after the split and said all the ducks were landing out with the coots. Just curious if anybody else hunted CC2 lately. Do people without permits often set-up in the Pasture Gut or Myrtle Marsh Gut that cut into the East and Southeast sides of the impoundment and skyblast? If so, I assume it is best to get away from those 2 areas.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by SouthEastNC on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthEastNC
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

There is people on every point around the SOB :hammer:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 pm

:lol: what he said
Percy86
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am

So, how did that impoundment hunt turn out? Crowded?
Shurshot
hunter

Postby SouthEastNC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 pm

got to the ramp at 2:45 on Saturday morning, no line.

some sky-busting going on outside the two impoundments, but nothing crazy. We didn't end up shooting anything, there was some teal flying but not as much as usual and nothing that wanted to come in... most actually landed close to where the dike separates 1 and 2.

Had a great time though. Was invited up to Jones for Wednesday morning, so hoping that proves more fruitful.
SouthEastNC
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

There was no line because the whole Raleigh Navy was already to here. I passed the ramp Friday at 11:00pm and there were 4 trucks with trailers and 2 cars already there.

We showed up at 6:00am and did well.
Percy86
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting