Another Duck Hunting newbie

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Another Duck Hunting newbie

Postby Outa Square » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I am just getting started duck hunting. I had a buddy take me goose hunting this past September and now I am a duck hunting junkie. Unfortunately, my buddy has friend whose family has access to an impoundment but he isn't able to bring a guest or so he says; and I don't know another duck hunter. So I am learning on my own. I am blessed to have access to a fairly good size piece of land that has frontage on the Catawba River and a large creek. I have seen albeit just a few, mallards, Canada geese, and wood ducks. What other ducks would I expect to see here in western NC? I saw a white duck with a green head Saturday could that have been a common merganser? Based on what I read it doesn't seem possible. Thanks for your help.

Also do you know of any DU or Delta Waterfowl chapters in the Greater Hickory/Lenoir/Morganton/Lincolnton.
Outa Square
Newb

Re: Another Duck Hunting newbie

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Those are your common ducks. Maybe a few gadwall now and then. Have fun and learn as you go. Remember to pick your shots and don't skybust, watch the birds and learn from them and don't over hunt the place. And keep your mouth shut. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:15 am

What he said ^^^^^^^^ and
GOOD LUCK
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby Benshook78 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm right there with you. My son and I just started duck hunting this year. I am in Lincoln. County and just joined DU. The chapter I am in is Gaston I think. We have mostly hunted Norman but with little success. Buddy has a boat so that is it for now. Hope the rest of the season goes well for you.
Benshook78
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 am

Hickory and Morganton both have DU chapters.
Lenoir and Lincolnton both used to have chapters, but no longer.

Delta has a chapter around Concord, and was looking to Start a chapter in Statesville.

Best to travel east to hunt.
No ducks in WNC.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby Outa Square » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better. Based on some comments I have seen noobs are labeled as jr duck commanders and some folks are willing to help them learn. My hopes for this season was to learn and that I have. I learned that the muck in the lake is slick and it is slicker when it is partially frozen; and when I am laying on my back I see more ducks. :lol:

I sometimes get amazed at the sight of ducks that I forget to shot. I have fired four shots since the first split. I shot one wood duck and unfortunately winged another. So I would like to think that I think through my shots. So thanks for the advice that everyone has posted on the boards.

I'll say that Tsmart is right that there are no ducks in western NC, they are all at High Rock. :yes:
Outa Square
Newb

Postby tsmart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:32 pm

By George, I think he's got it!

You'll get along just fine. :thumbsup:

Hickory should be having a banquet in the late spring.
Morganto is the last sat in Feb. Its an oyster roast.
Be there, or be square. :biggrin:

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting