InShore Duck Numbers

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

InShore Duck Numbers

Postby NMurph79 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:52 pm

HI Folks,

So after hunting mostly public lands for the past 5 years, I've decided to begin looking for some acreage to purchase and hunt. I live in Garner area and would ideally like to find some land I could drive to within an hour or so. I'm likely not going to buy anything close to the coast since its simply too long of a drive for a day hunt.

So here's my dilemma . . . I could basically go anywhere west towards the Piedmont (Alamance, Chatham, Lee, Moore, etc.) or I could head more East (Nash, Wilson, Lenoir, Wayne, Sampson, etc). Without giving away any honey holes, can anyone shed some light on where they would prefer? Any acreage around the Raleigh area is simply too expensive but was hoping to find some "ducky" swamps along some of the rivers in the outer counties.

I've heard some great reports towards the Piedmont counties, but the obvious choice seems to head closer to the coast.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
NMurph79
hunter

Re: InShore Duck Numbers

Postby The Mad Duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:23 am

I run the Hwy 64 route to the coast just about weekly this time of year. I see more waterfowl in the Tarboro area than anywhere else. Keep in mind that these are sightings from the road
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby NMurph79 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks MadDuck.

Everything in the immediate Wake County area is so expensive. I need to be in the outer lying counties to get any value for what I'm wanting to spend.

Anyone else have any insight on decent flyways within NC?
NMurph79
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi, I live near you and was faced with the same situation. I finally worked Billy McOwen of MossyOak Properties. He has a good listing of properties from the coast to the triangle and specializes in eastern NC. Best place for ducks.
he helped me find what i was looking for. He focuses on duck and deer properties. he has a lot of stuff listed on LandWatch NC.
you might want to pick a couple of counties on that site and see what is available.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting