THE YEAR OF THE RUDDY

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

THE YEAR OF THE RUDDY

Postby Paul26 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 pm

The flying squirrels are back in my neck of the woods. Funny, a few years back they were thick as thieves in my area, then I did not see them at all the last couple of seasons.

All morning these incredibly dumb birds would swim right past me. I shoot 1 each time I go. I bet I could take 20. I keep telling myself that if I shoot 6 of those stupid animals I will then, immediately after pulling the trigger for #6, have a pintail, a drake can, and a pair of redheads land right in front of me with a grin on all of their faces.

So of course I went home with 2 birds today........
Paul26
hunter

Re: THE YEAR OF THE RUDDY

Postby sneak boat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Water swaters dream. I remember back in the late eighties seemed like there were millions around, personally I don't shoot them anymore but they are cool birds especially if they are plumed out .
sneak boat
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Tell you one thing...they'll make a slow day and itchy finger turn on a dime when the going gets tough! :lol3:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Funny though: I have never seen or shot one with a blue bill. Google images for these birds and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps their bill is blue while they are in the north? ( though I have never heard of bills changing color...so now that I think about, that is kind of dumb....) Or do we have a certain sub-species that come our way? It can't be a gender thing......I have seen them by the thousands and they all have that dark beak.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:27 am

I've always seen the ones with bright blue bills late, late in the season and during courtship displays. Probably color up
like a gobbler does at that time.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:37 am

We have had a ton of Ruddy's down in Florida this year too. This is my 4th season and I did not see or shoot one until this season. Now they are as thick as ringers as teal. Also, the get into full plumage later than other ducks which is why we rarely see colored up drakes in season.
troutman561
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 am

Go to the PPR in the summer and you will see Ruddy drakes that are simply stunning in their plumage. I never shoot them either. I must be getting old but I feel sorry for the silly things. I see guys come in with a limit of Ruddy's occasionally. I don't say anything but it makes me feel good to know that I am just a little better than there are. Most likely low class Democrats to boot. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, lately you can just about walk on them across the water where I usually hunt. Ruddy ducks and hoodies all day long.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:32 pm

You will probably never shoot one in full plumage during our duck season. Even in late january, there isn't much color. Just a little burgandy and some shading of blue. I have shot many that have shades of blue and only one that had a complete blue bill on it. Some of them stay around all spring and into the summer. If you see one out in the summer(may-july) it is truly a sight. They are absolutely beautiful. I love ruddies. One of the finest birds to eat IMO. No fun shooting them swimming in, but if you catch the spot right and get them decoying and buzzing the decoys then it is some fun action. They are some fast little dudes!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:14 am

i dont shoot very many but when i do i make it count. the red one came from the coast about 5 years ago, and the blond one came from the triangle area about 7 years ago. both times there were 50 plus swimming around us. had to wait for the white one to get close enough to us to shoot at him. the red one there was more like 150 or so, i was sitting waiting on a blue bill and noticed he had more red than any i had ever seen. i knew he had a lot of red but had no clue he was as good as he was. both bird were killed in january.

merganser murderer
hunter

Postby JBNC » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Go to the PPR in the summer and you will see Ruddy drakes that are simply stunning in their plumage. I never shoot them either. I must be getting old but I feel sorry for the silly things. I see guys come in with a limit of Ruddy's occasionally. I don't say anything but it makes me feel good to know that I am just a little better than there are. Most likely low class Democrats to boot. :lol3:

Better than they are? Low class democrats? :huh: I don't see the problem, I've limited out on ruddys before. I get some meat in the freezer and get some action when they are the only thing I see. They're obviously stupid and shooting a sitting duck isn't very sporting but a lot of them will decoy and/or get scared up and you can still shoot them in the air. Don't see how that makes you any better than me.
JBNC
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 pm

JBNC you really need to think about what Dingbatter 2 has told you. He is a very wise man. Obama discovered that 51% of Americans are like these ducks and he shot them to his advantage.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby berudd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19 pm

I saw one of these today hunting the Tar near Bunn. I didn't know what it was but when the OP said the stupid birds swim right up to you I checked it out. It was a hen, I would have recognized a drake. She swam right up to my dog and me while sitting on the riverbank. I might have shot her if she had flown but was hesitant not knowing what it was. She dove a couple of times and swam pretty far under water. It was kinda cool to watch.
berudd
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting