Jr. Commanders

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Jr. Commanders

Postby Einstein » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm not one to rant. I'm not one to complain. When people on here argue about people setting up close to them or people skybusting I always say "hey man, it's part of hunting public land". Today that changes. This morning on Northern Norman, we got to the ramp early, had an awesome set-up back in a cove off the main river. Had hid the boat, and was putting out decoys when a boat pulled into the cove. We shined them off. They went right past us and set up about 250 yards past me in the back of the cove. Pissed me off, but I've seen worse. About this time another group of 2 hunters walk in from the land across from out blind and start putting out decoys...literally 50 yards DIRECTLY in front of me. I swear to God I could have hit them with a rock. I shine them, hoot and holler, and they keep on. As they are setting up another boat pulls into the front of the cove about 100 yards from me...they were setting decoys to literally shoot right at my blind. I'm dang livid. It' 25 minutes before shooting time. Obviously they're not leaving. I grab the dog and boat and pick up my gear and motor about 15 minutes up-river, set out a few decoys, hide myself the boat and the dog. Scratched out a few greenheads, they did not shoot. (I WONDER WHY??) I said all that to say this. I am now sympathetic to people who complain, and please if that was you that set up on me this morning...YOU KNOW who you are. Do not ever do it again. Please never go duck hunting again until you can find a mentor to take you and show you how you are to hunt. It is not done the way you did it this morning. -End Rant-
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Re: Jr. Commanders

Postby coachcornbread » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:36 am

So you got pissed because someone set up 250 yards behind you? Perhaps public hunting is not for you. Why did you not offer to mentor the lads that set up across from you?
shoot em when you see the orange airbrakes!
coachcornbread
hunter

Postby acannon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:48 am

Seems like it would just be common sense not to set up that close. It's not like a good trout spot where all the boats pile up and cast at the same spot. We got where we were going about an yesterday about and hour and a half before shooting light and I noticed a truck already in the area. I was prepared to accept that someone had beaten me into the area. Fortunately, when I walked down to the river I saw that he was about 6 or 700 yards past where I was trying to hunt. But anyways, we both had a terribly slow morning. Guess it was too perdy.
acannon
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:22 am

Coach, perhaps if you must always hunt within 300 yards of people when you hunt, you should reconsider duck hunting. I hate to burst your bubble but if you can get ducks to decoy with 5 spreads in 1,000 yard range you're a heck of a lot better than any hunter I've ever seen or heard of. Because I doubt you can do that, it's just not natural. I swear if I went out and had to be within 500 yards of people all around me, I promise you I would stay in bed. As I said, the one 250 yards wasn't SO bad as the one literally right in front of me. That one was just plain dangerous. The last one who set up was just plain stupid. I can't in my right mind guess why someone thinks they will actually kill birds with 4 groups in literally a 400 yard range. And don't give me the whole public land is always crowded thing. I went about a mile down the river and did not see another boat, so there is open space out there. You don't always have to be on someones crack when you go out.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:26 am

Coach, I will. If you were the people who set up across from me on Saturday morning, and again, you know exactly who you are, PM me and I WILL take you and show you the ropes.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:05 am

I hear ya bud. I was the same way until they started to get me too. This Saturday had some kids set up in front of me about 100 - 150 yards away. Prior to LST they started blowing on a kazoo while on their white boat. Eventually they saw me and left though. It was kinds funny but it did ruin LST to 30/45 mins past. I could hear birds whizzing by prior to LST but nothing after decent light with those yahoos right there.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Introducing the newest Jr. Commander duck call...
Percy86
hunter

Postby coachcornbread » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 am

Sorry, been duck hunting since it was on the point system, so no newbie here. I've been on LKN once and that was for a fishing tournament. I would like for you to show me public inland water where birds are working and you have no one around you for 500 yards, that's mythical. Im not saying it cant be done, but its the exception rather than the norm. I agree with you on the guys set up right in front of you but to get pissed inland on someone setting up @ 250 yards? Good luck with that.
shoot em when you see the orange airbrakes!
coachcornbread
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:30 pm

NFM
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 pm

The problem is.... the only distance laws on Norman, is pertaining to City Limits, Dwellings, or similar.
There is no distance laws, that restrict people from setting up on you.
It's gonna happen on public water, always has (sooner or later).
Nothing illegal about it (but pretty ignorant IMHO).
They don't even need to put out decoys. Legally, they can sit beside you and hunt .

It would be nice, if blind laws were all across the state.
500 yards from an "Occupied" blind (should be the law, IMHO).

But then again, people who go to hunt Counties with Blind Law,s rant and rave and complain about it - and don't like blind laws restricting them from hunting any spot of public water.

It seems like there is no happy ending, but I like hunting Currituck. None one within 500 yards.
Now if we could loose the 4:20 law, we'd be rocking.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby Einstein » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:07 pm

I don't know how I feel about blind laws, and wasn't insinuating that it should be a law how close they can get, however as you said, it should definitely be common sense.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Einstein » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:07 pm

Problem is, common sense isn't too common these days.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Einstein wrote:Problem is, common sense isn't too common these days.

You sir, speak the truth.
jcz
hunter

Postby SwampRatNC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:13 pm

You guys don't want to have blind laws. Had to deal with that up in VA. They also have blind stakes. This what happens when you have those rules, every 500yds is a stake and know one is supposed to hunt it but you. If you have the funds you can tie up a whole public waterway with these things. Now I think there should be something stated in the regs as far as safety is concerned.
SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Postby Benshook78 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Einstein, I know what you are talking about. My son and I started duck hunting this year. Fortunately a good friend of mine has taken us when he is off. We have only hunted Norman because he has the boat, and it's the closest lake to us. We have had guys run their boat towards the blind, but turned when we shined the light. Hopefully we are learning the right way to do it. Get up and out early. As for Norman, the hunting hasn't been good at all. Last 3 trips have been a bust. Not once have we pulled the trigger. But I hope it will pick up soon. Not gonna get to go back until the middle of the month.
Benshook78
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 am

I understand fully but don't feel bad. I made the mistake hunting on Tuesday on public grounds. Due to the high water I had to set up short of where I wanted. My mistake ! Spread out, birds flying. I was working 3 birds, they were on their third pass. Wings cupped, landing gear down. Then POOF ! They were gone. I just sat there wondering why. I then turned around only to find that there was a woman and her two dogs about 30 yards behind me in a bright yellow jacket, just standing there. ***!!!! Yes I made the mistake in setting up short. The road bed was under water, to which I should have brought the boat, but I was working birds at the spot that I was at, so it did not seam like a bad thing. !@$%@#$%!$ Oh the words that I wanted to say. I did tell her that she just screwed up my hunt. Her response was that this is public ground and she could be her. She even told me that she did read where if she wore bright colors, she would be safe from hunters. She did not care one bit.

Yes crap happens. I hate it , oh lord do I hate it.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 am

Einstein wrote:I'm not one to rant. I'm not one to complain. When people on here argue about people setting up close to them or people skybusting I always say "hey man, it's part of hunting public land". Today that changes. This morning on Northern Norman, we got to the ramp early, had an awesome set-up back in a cove off the main river. Had hid the boat, and was putting out decoys when a boat pulled into the cove. We shined them off. They went right past us and set up about 250 yards past me in the back of the cove. Pissed me off, but I've seen worse. About this time another group of 2 hunters walk in from the land across from out blind and start putting out decoys...literally 50 yards DIRECTLY in front of me. I swear to God I could have hit them with a rock. I shine them, hoot and holler, and they keep on. As they are setting up another boat pulls into the front of the cove about 100 yards from me...they were setting decoys to literally shoot right at my blind. I'm dang livid. It' 25 minutes before shooting time. Obviously they're not leaving. I grab the dog and boat and pick up my gear and motor about 15 minutes up-river, set out a few decoys, hide myself the boat and the dog. Scratched out a few greenheads, they did not shoot. (I WONDER WHY??) I said all that to say this. I am now sympathetic to people who complain, and please if that was you that set up on me this morning...YOU KNOW who you are. Do not ever do it again. Please never go duck hunting again until you can find a mentor to take you and show you how you are to hunt. It is not done the way you did it this morning. -End Rant-

that place sucked after the good woodie shoot opening day. we had someone setup on us in there too a few weeks ago,during the week with no one else in there haha. i would never hunt there on a weekend. shoot me a p/m and ill hook you up with some better public opportunities in that general area. maybe we can hunt sometime
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 am

I would quit duck hunting if I had to put up with that. Sounds like more aggravation than it's worth.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Einstein » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:53 pm

NCtroutbum wrote:
Einstein wrote:I'm not one to rant. I'm not one to complain. When people on here argue about people setting up close to them or people skybusting I always say "hey man, it's part of hunting public land". Today that changes. This morning on Northern Norman, we got to the ramp early, had an awesome set-up back in a cove off the main river. Had hid the boat, and was putting out decoys when a boat pulled into the cove. We shined them off. They went right past us and set up about 250 yards past me in the back of the cove. Pissed me off, but I've seen worse. About this time another group of 2 hunters walk in from the land across from out blind and start putting out decoys...literally 50 yards DIRECTLY in front of me. I swear to God I could have hit them with a rock. I shine them, hoot and holler, and they keep on. As they are setting up another boat pulls into the front of the cove about 100 yards from me...they were setting decoys to literally shoot right at my blind. I'm dang livid. It' 25 minutes before shooting time. Obviously they're not leaving. I grab the dog and boat and pick up my gear and motor about 15 minutes up-river, set out a few decoys, hide myself the boat and the dog. Scratched out a few greenheads, they did not shoot. (I WONDER WHY??) I said all that to say this. I am now sympathetic to people who complain, and please if that was you that set up on me this morning...YOU KNOW who you are. Do not ever do it again. Please never go duck hunting again until you can find a mentor to take you and show you how you are to hunt. It is not done the way you did it this morning. -End Rant-

that place sucked after the good woodie shoot opening day. we had someone setup on us in there too a few weeks ago,during the week with no one else in there haha. i would never hunt there on a weekend. shoot me a p/m and ill hook you up with some better public opportunities in that general area. maybe we can hunt sometime

You're right, it has sucked since then. Opening day it was more gunshots than I've ever heard in my life. Unbelievable. Anyways, I have had some big birds work in there and got a few shots off. Where are you located Trout? Maybe we can get together sometime.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

coachcornbread wrote:So you got pissed because someone set up 250 yards behind you? Perhaps public hunting is not for you. Why did you not offer to mentor the lads that set up across from you?

Unless their young guys, I don't want to take the time to teach grown men how to properly hunt. Especially a half hour before shooting time.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:22 pm

He probably gets excited over a $5.00 Foot Long GL draw hunt too. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Einstein » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:
coachcornbread wrote:So you got pissed because someone set up 250 yards behind you? Perhaps public hunting is not for you. Why did you not offer to mentor the lads that set up across from you?

Unless their young guys, I don't want to take the time to teach grown men how to properly hunt. Especially a half hour before shooting time.

I'm willing to bet their younger guys.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am

Einstein wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:

I'm willing to bet their younger guys.

I'm only twenty three but know a heck of a lot better than to do what those guys did. If their sixteen or so then sure, maybe lend a hand. I doubt anyone here will help a grown man or men they don't know learn to hunt, as they shouldn't have to do that in the firs place imo.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Benshook78 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 am

Try not to be too hard on us older guys. I'm 35, and just starting out. But again, Einstein said it right about common sense. To set up too close to another hunter is just plain stupid. I know better than to do that. I wasn't fortunate enough to have someone to teach me how to duck hunt early on like most. But I'm trying to give my son the opportunities I didn't have. He is learning, and I am too. Can't think of anything better than this. I am now fortunate enough to have someone who is teaching us both, when he is available. Hope the rest of the season is great for you all.
Benshook78
hunter

Postby Einstein » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 pm

To clarify when I said young, I meant 16-19 range.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting