need decoys?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

need decoys?

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:19 am

so I put the boat in at a highly used ramp to go look for seaducks yesterday and on the way in we ended up picking up a pair of bluebill decoys with 3 ft of cord on them floating in about 7 ft of water and a teal decoy with the cord wrapped up all the way that was afloat. so my point is... if any of you folks wanna pick up some free decoys just ride around some of these public areas around lunch time and see what the jr commanders have left or lost. we did find some sea ducks though, not a massacre but still fun in the layout. ended up with 4 scoters 2 rb mergys and wigeon. good luck!
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Re: need decoys?

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Can't beat free decoys! Maybe someday I will find their SBE II in their Avery case floating out there :grooving: :grooving: :lol3: :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Who the hell would rig diver decoys with 3 feet of cord? Kinda limits the places you can use them.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:44 pm

three feet of cord with clips to use on a long line is not unusual. :hi:
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:54 pm

The free decoys I have found out on the sound the last couple of years helped fill up my net rig I made this summer :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:15 pm

no clips on these. 4 oz weights instead. adding em to a net rig is a good idea.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:08 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:Who the hell would rig diver decoys with 3 feet of cord? Kinda limits the places you can use them.

Exactly...but, it's not a problem if you ONLY hunt shallow water in the Pamlico or Currituck Sound.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 pm

A 4 oz. weight wouldn't hold...8 oz. mushrooms are the way to go with 8-10' of tarred line.
Percy86
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:21 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Who the hell would rig diver decoys with 3 feet of cord? Kinda limits the places you can use them.

Exactly...but, it's not a problem if you ONLY hunt shallow water in the Pamlico or Currituck Sound.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Ric, go use some 4 oz weights like the other guys and there will be more dekes to pick up. I was just saying what works.
Percy86
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:56 pm

That's how I got half my spread. Where I hunt, a lot of the guides leave decoys out all season. Some of the lines break or they float away. If they're floating in the middle of the bay, I have no way of knowing who they belong to, so I pick them up. My father-in-law is notorious for picking them up from the dump. A lot of the guides throw them away when they get a couple shot holes or they crack. We fill them with foam and keep on hunting them.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting