What to expect? Mattamuskeet

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What to expect? Mattamuskeet

Postby chevync20 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Good evening,

I have been lurking around for quite some time. I have a permit to hunt Mattamuskeet on the 3rd and 4th of January and im just wondering what to expect. Im not look no scouting detail or anything like that but trying to plan as I am leaving in the morning. I have blind 7 on Friday and blind 13 on Saturday. Here are a few questions:

1. How is the walk to blind 7, is it mostly hard packed, all swamp, etc. Im not sure but looking at the map where you walk and in what consitions since it is so far from the truck.

2. Are the blinds of good size for three "fully" grown men and a dog? Do they have seats?

3. Are you checked before and after the hunt or is that random?

4. Do you have to be back to your truck by noon or just off the lake and on your way back?

5. Is there anything else in season for the area, ie if someone has a swan permit to fill?

6. Avoid calling or what? I have always been a swamp and pond hunter so I call as necessary. Never been heavily exposed to public water hunting.

7. I know about the 30 shell rule, but is it ok if you have the rest of your shells in the truck?

Sorry for all the question, this is my first trip to Skeet. I know, I know some of you say its overated and bad hunting but im going just as much for the experience as the hunt itself. Just looking any helpful tips, not looking to steal ideas or whatever, just trying to make sure my hunt is 100% legal and enjoyable as possible.
chevync20
hunter

Re: What to expect? Mattamuskeet

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:02 pm

If I remember correctly blind 7 was a long walk down a dike. Short walk into the lake. Only 50 yards or so out into the lake. Never been to 13.

The blinds are fairly big to me. I'm not a big guy though.

You have to listen to the rules on first day before going in. They will check you on the way out. Have heard they may check you out during the hunt but never had it happen to me.

Have to stop hunting at 12. They will cover that with the rules.

IF you have a swan permit bring it. Goose is by permit also.

Have to see how the birds react to answer the calling question. Let me know if you want me to join you to help with the answer. :lol3:

30 shells in blind. Yes the rest can be in your truck. ONce you leave your truck you are not supposed to go back until done hunting. After LST.
jcz
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 pm

I am seriously considering bringing a second gun to the blind just in case any of three jam or malfunction. Is that ok? I am trying to not return to the truck if at all possible. I need to be at the lodge at 4:30 or I lose my spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chevync20
hunter

Postby jcz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:10 am

As far as I know a second gun is legal. You might want to ask when checking in. Check in is from 4:30 til 5. Do not be late. I have seen guys lose their spot because they were 1 minute late. They didn't even get to put their name in for stand by draw.
jcz
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:45 am

You can go back to your truck during the hunt, you just can't shoot more than 30 times per person (don't shoot 30, go back to your truck for more shells, then shoot another 30). I would leave the extra gun in the truck and just go back and swap out if you need it.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 pm

I went out scouting today around the blinds you can see. What an experience this is. Birds are everywhere

chevync20
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm

I know the hunting is sketchy at best for most of you but for a newbie to this area of ducks, it's amazing.

chevync20
hunter

Postby tylerparker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm

How'd y'all do? We got #6 on the standby so we were right beside ya.
tylerparker
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:30 am

The weather Friday really brought in the birds, I think our blind took the only Pintail of the weekend. We had an assortment of birds, gadwalls, widgeons, mallards. Saturday was a little slow but ended up with 10, three being mergansers and the rest wigeons. Friday one of my buddies should of had his swan but the wind made for tough shooting. Looked like 6 produced well on Friday. I was hoping for a redhead myself and think 20 something were killed Friday just not in my blind.

chevync20
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 pm

what are the odds of getting a standby spot at Mattamuskeet?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby chevync20 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Blind 5 and 6 are never assigned they are always standby. Friday was tough, they had 50-60 on standby but 4 permit hunters did not show so they handed out 6 blinds, Saturday had 3 blinds to hand out among 25-30 people. I live three hours away and wouldn't dare go do standby unless I had secondary plans. If you are an hour or so I'd give it a shot myself. The two days I hunted were night and day different. The rougher the weather the better the hunting holds true in my limited experience. Friday was cold with 30 mph winds and light snow and ice and we had a good morning but Saturday was calm and we shot more birds but we worked harder to get them and the shooting was better.

chevync20
hunter

Postby jcz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Glad you had some good hunting. I will be there this coming Fri. and Sat.

Stand by draws are tough to come by. I've tried it more times than I can remember. Always a crowd there. Been lucky to get drawn a couple times.
jcz
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:what are the odds of getting a standby spot at Mattamuskeet?

keep in mind that #5 and #6 aren't assigned by design....and it ain't so they have blinds avail. to the standbys (its because they suck the majority of the time, and they got tired of hearing complaints)

also, I've seen it at times, where they let permit holders do any switching they want before drawing for standby/leftovers. so in that case, you're getting the bottom of the barrel even still.
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby TooTall » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

They always give permit holders the option to switch blinds before they draw for stand by.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 am

TooTall wrote:They always give permit holders the option to switch blinds before they draw for stand by.

Yes they do, always!
Shurshot
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 am

Shurshot wrote:
TooTall wrote:They always give permit holders the option to switch blinds before they draw for stand by.

Yes they do, always!

Very specific at time of drawing, there is a box that permit holders can drop their names into. Once all the permit hunters have been logged in, they open the draw up for any unclaimed blinds, Permit holders that put their names in the box get first shot at the unclaimed blinds, If they take a new blind, then their assigned blind is added to the stand by list. First day we hunted several permit holders swapped for unclaimed blinds, second day there was no swaps made.

Good hunting.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting