Tomorrow ..... BE EXTRA CAREFUL!!!

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Tomorrow ..... BE EXTRA CAREFUL!!!

Postby Shurshot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Hazardous marine condition(s):

Gale Warning
Low Water Advisory

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM EST FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...
...LOW WATER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EST FRIDAY...

Synopsis...AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THROUGH THE AREA LATE TONIGHT. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD IN FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT AND BE OVER THE AREA SATURDAY. THE HIGH WILL MOVE OFF THE COAST SUNDAY WITH A STRONG COLD FRONT MOVING THROUGH MONDAY.
Tonight: SW winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming W and increasing to 20 to 25 kt after midnight...becoming NW 25 to 30 kt with gusts to 40 kt late. Waves 2 to 3 ft. Rain this evening...then a chance of rain after midnight. A slight chance of rain and snow late.

Fri: NW winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Waves 3 to 4 ft. A slight chance of snow showers in the morning.

Fri Night: N winds 20 to 25 kt...diminishing to 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

Fellows, this is some serious wind tomorrow. Please everyone use good judgement when out on the water tomorrow. Don't even consider crossing big open water. What might seem doable in the am with a sea on your stern will be almost impossible when you have to come back through it head on. You'll get you and your crew in dire straights in a skinny minute.
Another thing to consider (there are many others) is your water level. It will gradually blow the water out of the river, bays, and ditches!! You will strand your boat (and you) if you don't monitor this "wind tide" event guaranteed. And this wind is supposed to be blowing all day and evening.

Don't let exuberance get in the way of good judgement. If you have to think twice about whether or not you should make that run, err on the side of caution .... and live another day to hunt.

T
Shurshot
hunter

Re: Tomorrow ..... BE EXTRA CAREFUL!!!

Postby Paul26 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Amen. Hug a shoreline. Heck: BE ON THE SHORELINE. The birds certanly will be
Paul26
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Some idiot will try it. They always do. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Some idiot will try it. They always do. :lol3:

Probably from the Piedmont too!
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby zman115 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Because no one from the piedmont knows how to navigate a boat or use common sense.... :no:
zman115
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:48 am

zman115 wrote:Because no one from the piedmont knows how to navigate a boat or use common sense.... :no:

I believe it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Do they learn to drive boats when Hillsborough street floods? :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Blind Luck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Tomorrow should be interesting weather wise. Had to be out of town this past Friday and Saturday (that was tough), so I couldn't sit at work tomorrow while the wind was howling and the temp was well below freezing. Good luck and safe hunting to all those heading out tomorrow, should be a good one!
Blind Luck
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:16 pm

A bit concerned about what will be left after this much colder than normal snap.

2 seasons ago ( I think...may have been 3) we had a bitter cold December. During the time of the major push of divers that happens that time each year it was as cold here as it was in the Northeast. The birds just kept going south.....they never really came here in any numbers to speak of.

We might be saved by the short duration......will be back in the 40's/50's by the end of the week. Hopefully they'll all leave the Chesapeake Tue night and drop here just as it starts to get warm.

I overthink this crap. Stupid animals
Paul26
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting