Public Draw Hunts

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Public Draw Hunts

Postby NCfowl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I keep noticing and hearing people mention the lack of particpation on draw hunts to certain areas not includin skeet. How do yall feel about that? I feel like we should have to sign in or scan your permit and if you do not show up then you should be withheld from the following year's drawing.....just a thought
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Public Draw Hunts

Postby swamplife90 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I second that
swamplife90
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I feel like.....if I were to give North Carolina any amount of money over the amount that I have to spend on my hunting license every year then I would be just throwing my money away.

On another note.....I feel like if I did get drawn for a permit hunt and I showed up the morning of the hunt and no one else was there I would be extremely grateful. Kinda makes me laugh when everyone gets aggravated that nobody shows up for their permit hunt. I would be ecstatic. I know I know.......if they didn't put in for every $5 hunt then a lot more people would get selected that would actually show up. Just my .02
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby jcz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 pm

NCfowl wrote:I keep noticing and hearing people mention the lack of particpation on draw hunts to certain areas not includin skeet. How do yall feel about that? I feel like we should have to sign in or scan your permit and if you do not show up then you should be withheld from the following year's drawing.....just a thought

The problem with that is there are unforeseen circumstances sometimes. We had a $5 hunt on thanksgiving day. Scouted it and had a great game plan ready. Got up that morning. Met my hunting buddy and had a flat tire. Battled all kinds of problems trying to get it fixed. AAA couldn't get the tire off the truck. Needless to say we didn't make it. That hunt had a lot of promise too.
jcz
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 am

Something should also be done to require proof to access to a boat for some of the water access only hunts. It appears to me that a good chunk of those hunts are being gobbled up by the $5 hunt craze and idiots putting in for as many hunts possible and not even having a clue about them.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 am

What if you get drawn for the hunt and go scout it like you should and there aren't any birds in there? Should you still be required to hunt it?
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:43 am

EastBound&Down wrote:Something should also be done to require proof to access to a boat for some of the water access only hunts. It appears to me that a good chunk of those hunts are being gobbled up by the $5 hunt craze and idiots putting in for as many hunts possible and not even having a clue about them.

I second that.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 am

Been on 2 boat only access permit hunts this season and both times 2/3 of the other permit holders were a no show. Lack of ducks was not a issue. It is nice not to have the other competition but also sucks when there is a whole zone unoccupied with live decoys that I can not enter into to hunt.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 am

trigger22 wrote:What if you get drawn for the hunt and go scout it like you should and there aren't any birds in there? Should you still be required to hunt it?

I don't think so, I have decided to not hunt a permit hunt in the past. its not a binding legal document or anything, just an option to hunt that spot. In my opinion.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 am

ducking&diving wrote:
trigger22 wrote:What if you get drawn for the hunt and go scout it like you should and there aren't any birds in there? Should you still be required to hunt it?

I don't think so, I have decided to not hunt a permit hunt in the past. its not a binding legal document or anything, just an option to hunt that spot. In my opinion.

Dont apply then. Risk and reward. If you have a spot thats always has ducks then why apply anyway? :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 am

NCfowl wrote:
ducking&diving wrote:

Dont apply then. Risk and reward. If you have a spot thats always has ducks then why apply anyway? :huh:

I apply in the event that there are birds there and using it. I scout like I should and if there aren't any birds I'm not going to hunt it. I will instead go somewhere that there are birds (I most likely found them while scouting).
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

We no showed on Suggs Mill. Scouted day before and there were no birds. Why go when there are no birds?

For the record we knew hardly anything (first hand/in person) about every single draw we got when applying. We did tons of paperwork searching though. After being selected we scouted our arses off to make the best of all draw hunts. We can't help that there were no birds there, but not driving an 2 hrs to a hunt were there zero birds the day before and the slightest weather change.

Now if you apply, don't scout, don't go...your a schmuck.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby trigger22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:49 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Now if you apply, don't scout, don't go...your a schmuck.

I agree with this. I would agree with making it in eligible next year if you don't at least make an effort. Make a sign in or something at the pump house. If an emergency pops up you should have to notify NC Wildlife. If you don't sign in saying you scouted/hunted or don't contact the man then you aren't eligible next year. It might be more trouble than it's worth, I'm just speculating.
trigger22
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes I agree then. Scout or hunt, you have to sign in. If not then be ineligible but next year.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 pm

I say increase the price to apply. At $20 a pop, some guys may think twice about blindly applying for hunts they know nothing about.

Regardless, if there's no birds and I have another option, I won't hunt it.
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Giant Killer wrote:I say increase the price to apply. At $20 a pop, some guys may think twice about blindly applying for hunts they know nothing about.

Regardless, if there's no birds and I have another option, I won't hunt it.

Thats why I say have to scan to either hunt or scout. If no birds are present when you scout, scan your permit and do not return.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby jcz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:22 pm

My problem with them changing the fee to $20 is then I am out more of my hard earned money to apply for permits I still probably will not get. Lots of the yahoos that apply blindly and don't go don't pay the application fee. Momma and daddy do.
jcz
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:21 pm

NCfowl wrote:
ducking&diving wrote:

Have you ever heard of variety? you must bank on permit hunts to make your season. I bank on myself to make my season. good luck!
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 am

jcz wrote:My problem with them changing the fee to $20 is then I am out more of my hard earned money to apply for permits I still probably will not get. Lots of the yahoos that apply blindly and don't go don't pay the application fee. Momma and daddy do.

I agree with ya. I wouldnt mind seeing preference pts for all the permit hunts. At least then, at some point, you'll get the draw. Makes it a little easier I think, knowing you've got an even better shot the next yr. Sure eased my "pain" (if you can call it that) when I didnt get a swan permit this time...knowing I was basically guaranteed one next.
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am

The problem that i have with it is hunting alone. Most people are not going to drive several hours pulling a boat to hunt by there selves. I think it should go back to the way it used to be where as if you had a permit you were able to invite 2 people to come along. I know in the past I have drawn the permit with a friend of mine, and he have something come up and not be able to make it. Well if I would have been able to invite someone else, I would have made my permit, but being I had to hunt by myself, I didn't go.
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Splashin' Divers wrote:The problem that i have with it is hunting alone. Most people are not going to drive several hours pulling a boat to hunt by there selves. I think it should go back to the way it used to be where as if you had a permit you were able to invite 2 people to come along. I know in the past I have drawn the permit with a friend of mine, and he have something come up and not be able to make it. Well if I would have been able to invite someone else, I would have made my permit, but being I had to hunt by myself, I didn't go.

I've never understood the "apply as a party" on some hunts vs. "take guests" on others. Maybe someone here has some insight they can share as to why they are setup that way.

Must be just another way the NCWRC can confuse the h#ll outta everyone
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Sometimes you have circumstances out of your control that will not allow you to go on a permit hunt. You shouldn't be punished for that. That's all we need is to complicate it more by scanning this and that and being required to do this that and the other to prove you went, then just b/c you can't foresee the future and the possible variables that might come up that prevent you from going you get punished for it. :no:
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting