Onslow/ Jacksonville area

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Onslow/ Jacksonville area

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Anyone having much luck finding ducks in the area? Did a little hunting in sneads ferry before going back home to hunt in Alabama and Mississippi. I'm new to the base so I feel like I've been scouting and huntin nearly blindly. Any tips for where to find ducks on or off base in the area would be helpful.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: Onslow/ Jacksonville area

Postby IDECOY2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 pm

I was stationed at Lejeune form 02-06. I hunted New River and french Creek area with the best success. Always thought the potholes on Onlsow beach by the AAV crossing would be a great spot. I also hunted the Croatan a lot too.
IDECOY2
Newb

Postby tsamp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:51 am

I am stationed here and it is a pain in the neck to hunt this area do to alota people! I say "people" because they don't have any idea what they are doing: sky busting, calling at anything with wings and the calling sounds like a kid on a kazoo, not obeying the laws of the land, and the list goes on! Haha but if you put in the miles and the foot work you can kill birds. Myself and some friends have had some good draw hunts and early teal shoots plus the here and there spots that people don't wanna work to get to or are to stupid to think outside the box. But anyways good luck!
tsamp
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 pm

T Samp is correct.

I know what you mean about feeling scouting blindly. It's going to take you a little while to learn what areas to hunt and when, scouting will have to be continuous. As far as sneads ferry goes, the birds move around according to the tides.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Throwing a few Hail Marys out this last few days and gonna put in some time on the water. Want to get a few more retrieves for my dog before the end of the year.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Mac.nokes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Has anyone hunted the blinds in New River?
Mac.nokes
Newb

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 am

Mac.nokes wrote:Has anyone hunted the blinds in New River?

Yes
I'm positive lots of people have
BTW nice first post :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Mac.nokes » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am

EastBound&Down wrote:

Yes

Wow. Honest question from a novice hunter and that kind of welcome. Thanks but no thanks. Understood if we knew each other. But I guess being an Internet wise guy is the "in thing." Thanks for the help.
Mac.nokes
Newb

Postby Adam Gibbs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Heres an honest answer.

While by the defination of the law states that the blinds on the river are not private and its first come first served, IMO its ****** move to hunt someone else's blind. You didnt put the work and money into building it and maintaining it. Its one thing if you know the person that built it and have permission to hunt it, but to just hope in a random blind, to me, is a classless thing. Many times, you are even better served not to hunt the blinds and instead be mobile and able to move to where the birds are.
Adam Gibbs
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Mac.nokes wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:

Yes

Wow. Honest question from a novice hunter and that kind of welcome. Thanks but no thanks. Understood if we knew each other. But I guess being an Internet wise guy is the "in thing." Thanks for the help.

I answered your vague question so I don't see what's the problem. Classic move also on your part to try to figure things out on the closing weekend of season.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Awesome first two posts Mac....

And yes, the owners of those blinds have hunted them. If you would like one to hunt, take the time and build yourself one. In doing so, please be considerate of the others around you that may already have a blind in the area. There's a lot of water and plenty of places to hunt without hunting right on top of someone else.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Mac no one is being rude. Obvious answers there common sense says if you didn't build it don't use it. There is plenty of places where birds are at just put the work in and find them
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Mac.nokes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge gentlemen.
Mac.nokes
Newb

Postby trigger22 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am

Go to the Honey Hole section and ask this question. Those guys are great and are a little more willing to share info than the guys in here.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 am

i went to the honey hole and asked a question once, after making the exact replica of the karos syrup corn bench they gave me directions to build in the area i was having trouble hunting, i started seeing alot more birds, seems they really know their stuff. :thumbsup:
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby Average Joe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Adam Gibbs wrote:Heres an honest answer.

While by the defination of the law states that the blinds on the river are not private and its first come first served, IMO its ****** move to hunt someone else's blind. You didnt put the work and money into building it and maintaining it. Its one thing if you know the person that built it and have permission to hunt it

One word-stupid

Case and point - I've hunted the same cove since 2008 from a boat or lay out blind with great success and this year there is a box blind. If I go to hunt there of course I'll use the blind. No sense in two large non natural objects to flare the birds. Don't care who built it because they don't own the spot or water. However I will leave it in the same if not better condition then when I got there.

Better idea-unless you have blind laws or permits to protect you investment, invest in a mobile option (boat blind/layout) that doesn't identify your spot to everyone that passes by. Most blinds are accessible from shore and just give endless options to those willing to wade a couple hundred yards.
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Well this topic got pretty heated.

Spent last weekend hunting from a boat blind in some creeks with fair success.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:31 pm

You hit the nail on the head Average Joe. I don't know why people feel the need to leave their trash and spent shells in blinds and mess with the brush and other crap.

Same with the guy that hunt blinds close to shore without a boat or canoe or any way to get cripples or birds that sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting